Home

Quick Counts needs work

This is a discussion on Quick Counts needs work within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-28-2016, 02:23 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 5
Quick Counts needs work

First of all, I'll start by saying I love this game and it plays better (with the right difficulty level and sliders per user preference) than any other The Show iteration. One thing that needs some work is quick counts though. I've loved QC since its inception, but I'm a bit surprised that it hasn't been updated since last year's game in a lot of way. Here's what needs to be done (can a patch do this?):

1) Since we can't choose a new relief pitcher to come in in the middle of an inning before the pitch count is already in place, I think it would make sense that once the new pitcher is brought in, the count refreshes itself to whatever generated count makes sense, instead of staying the same. I know this isn't ideal and would cause people to swap pitchers if the current count is 3-0 or a hitter's count, but it still makes more sense than having a pitcher come in in the middle of an at-bat.

Better yet, it would be great to have rules to choose from during an at-bat. For example, "Replace pitcher after next baserunner allowed" or "Replace pitcher after next batter", etc., which would then allow you to swap in a pitcher before the pitch count gets generated.

2) When the user is batting and the CPU brings in a relief pitcher, it is very hard to suddenly adjust to the pitcher's new delivery and release point without first seeing a pitch or two. Thus, it would be great if every time the CPU brings in a relief pitcher, the QC starts at 0-0 so we can get into the at-bat before being forced to swing with two strikes. I'd even be ok with a 1-1 count. But when the pitcher comes in and it's a high stakes situation and the count is immediately 3-2 or 0-2 without having ever seen the pitcher's delivery, it often leads to a quick out.

Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2016, 05:15 PM   #2
№¹ Bad Boy.

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Quick Counts needs work

What SCEA has said about QC reminds me of what they said just a few short years ago about why it wasn;t a good idea to make the Potential attribute editable. We, the consumer, would break the game as it was meant to be played. I said then, let me, the consumer, worry about that. I hear the same thing about why you cannot choose to have 0-0 counts, or change horses midstream, as in turning QC on/off during a game. I'll break the game, is the reason.
Well, again, let me, the consumer, worry about that.
Thankyou, Sony.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:51 AM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
What SCEA has said about QC reminds me of what they said just a few short years ago about why it wasn;t a good idea to make the Potential attribute editable. We, the consumer, would break the game as it was meant to be played. I said then, let me, the consumer, worry about that. I hear the same thing about why you cannot choose to have 0-0 counts, or change horses midstream, as in turning QC on/off during a game. I'll break the game, is the reason.
Well, again, let me, the consumer, worry about that.
Thankyou, Sony.
Yah, and in any case, my #1 would potentially allow us to "break the game", but my #2 wouldn't. That one, to me, is the more important fix and I'm hoping wouldn't be that hard for them to do.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:44 PM   #4
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

I agree that I would like something else to be done when there's a pitching change, but in essence it's just what QC is. Even if you bring in a guy just assume he starts with that count. I'm fine with the short comings because the overall result is what I want, for better or worse.

What I really want fixed: the graphic of what the count is. The placement needs to move when it shows you the initial count. I've had countless times where I have had the pitcher throw a pitch with the graphic still on the screen because I've warmed up a pitcher.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 06-29-2016, 04:03 PM   #5
Pro

Add the ability to set QC for hitting/pitching individually. I love hitting with it, but I'd like to pitch without it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2016, 04:04 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
I agree that I would like something else to be done when there's a pitching change, but in essence it's just what QC is. Even if you bring in a guy just assume he starts with that count. I'm fine with the short comings because the overall result is what I want, for better or worse.

What I really want fixed: the graphic of what the count is. The placement needs to move when it shows you the initial count. I've had countless times where I have had the pitcher throw a pitch with the graphic still on the screen because I've warmed up a pitcher.
On your first point, agreed. I'm ok with it for now. My #2 is the more important point, however.

Completely agree on your second point. Drives me crazy. Why in the world would they put that graphic right over the middle of the screen?! I always take a warm up swing to prevent having it block the pitch, as by the time the warm up swing is done, the graphic disappears.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:49 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
We, the consumer, would break the game as it was meant to be played. I said then, let me, the consumer, worry about that..
Especially since offline franchise is a me, myself, and I mode.

It's not like I'm screwing a league or ruining online modes where other people's experiences can be impacted.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:19 PM   #8
№¹ Bad Boy.

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Especially since offline franchise is a me, myself, and I mode.

It's not like I'm screwing a league or ruining online modes where other people's experiences can be impacted.
Plus, with the ability to adjust all the sliders, you can create an arcade experience instead of sim. QC should not be just for those who want a sim stat experience IMO

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »