Home

Things you can't do in The Show, that you can do in real life baseball (legally)

This is a discussion on Things you can't do in The Show, that you can do in real life baseball (legally) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-15-2016, 08:52 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 24
Things you can't do in The Show, that you can do in real life baseball (legally)

There are random things still missing from The Show, even though they are legal and practical in real life baseball. Here's five. Share any others you have.

1. The wheel play. When there is a runner on 2nd base, the wheel play is an invaluable tool. It allows you to defend aggressively against a bunt, while retaining coverage at third base. Not much point in choosing any of the anti-bunt defenses if you can't take advantage by throwing out the lead runner.

2. Double switch after injury. When a player is injured, you're forced to replace him, and only him, which makes things quite complicated in late game situations where you were going to replace guys anyway. Here's an example: It's the 7th inning, and Curtis Granderson (RF), is injured sliding into 2nd base on a double play. Your plan before the injury was to double switch Juan Lagares in for defense. Well... sucks for you... now you have to replace Granderson with some random guy you won't be using, then do the double switch again later. This workaround forces you to waste a pitcher or bench player on nothing, and is the only work around available. I should granted full substitution access, with all the same options I have when I enter the menu myself.

3. Do nothing after injury. Let's go back to that Granderson example above. What if I have no plan at all? My team is batting, and Granderson was out anyway, so his replacement really doesn't matter at the moment. Maybe I want to see the rest of the half-inning play out before I decide. I should be able to abstain from making a decision until that spot is due up at the plate, or it is my turn to play defense

4. Abstain from catching a ball (but still field it). In certain situations, such as on a popped-up bunt, it would be advantageous to let the ball drop. Doing so would often net you a double play, or at the very least, help you get the lead runner out instead of the pitcher, which is a big deal. There's also scenarios where you don't want to catch a foul ball (but you still have to chase it, just in case it isn't foul), ie: certain cases with a runner on third base. Right now, the only solution is to avoid going near the catch area entirely. This can look messy and silly, and doesn't work remotely well from an execution standpoint. I should be able to override the catch animation and leave the catch area if I want to. I should also be able to stay in the catch area and press or hold a button (or two) to just let the ball land in front of me, maybe have the fielder take a few steps backwards as part of this function.

5. Use a pitcher to pinch hit, the normal way. My team is the Mets, and I don't mean to brag, but I bet my pitcher hits better than yours. I should be able to take advantage of this. Currently, I have to do some wonky work around where I commit to another random pitcher way ahead of time. I should be able to just pinch hit with whoever I want, and then decide on a pitcher later. MLB rules only require a pitcher to stay in the game if he comes in as a pitcher. Pinch hitting appearances should not be limited at all. Maybe a pop-up at the end of the offensive inning asking me if I want to pitch with [pitcher that I was hitting with].
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2016, 10:11 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Things you can't do in The Show, that you can do in real life baseball (legally)

It would be nice to be able to completely customize shifts in the defensive menu, in addition to the preset options. If i want to put 6 players on the right side of the field vs Ortiz but have my LF play in shallow left to guard a cheap slapper, I should be able to position my infielders where i want them rather than relying on the presets. in situations with a runner on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out, I'd appreciate the option to set my infield super deep to make sure if there's a ground ball that I get the guy at first and only 1 run will come in, at the expense of being vulnerable to a squeeze bunt.

Another option that would be nice would be the ability to trade with money. For example in my current franchise at the deadline, due to cutting a few pricey veterans and replacing them with ready-to-go young guys on minimum I have 12m of salary space. Would love the ability to be able to send teams cash considerations in these scenarios as teams regularly do this IRL. Also maybe be able to have both teams absorb salary.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:22 AM   #3
Pro

scooterperpetual's Arena

Re: Things you can't do in The Show, that you can do in real life baseball (legally)

I have a few that just animations more than anything:

1) Throwing out someone at 1st from a throw in the outfield. Some time I get a soft popup or weak grounder that gets through against a slow runner and I should be able to throw them out but one of two things happen, 1) My fielder takes his sweet time throwing the ball. 2) The 1st basemen is nowhere near the bag

2) Tagging someone out when they "Popup" after sliding into a base. Really more of a nitpicking thing but still would be nice. Doubt we will see it ever though as it doesnt serve too much purpose as its an animation

3) Not really going with the same theme but I cant challenge a lot of things I should be able to challenge. I had a bunt in a close game that loaded the bases and I looked in the replay and he was clearly out at 1st by half a step yet I cant challenge this because I was on defense. It ended up costing me the game.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:36 AM   #4
RLB
Rookie

RLB's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
5. Use a pitcher to pinch hit, the normal way. My team is the Mets, and I don't mean to brag, but I bet my pitcher hits better than yours. I should be able to take advantage of this. Currently, I have to do some wonky work around where I commit to another random pitcher way ahead of time. I should be able to just pinch hit with whoever I want, and then decide on a pitcher later. MLB rules only require a pitcher to stay in the game if he comes in as a pitcher. Pinch hitting appearances should not be limited at all. Maybe a pop-up at the end of the offensive inning asking me if I want to pitch with [pitcher that I was hitting with].
Agreed, I pinch hit with Mike Leake and had to let him take the mound. Good info on the work around. The wheel play or lack of it is frustrating as well.
Good points.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:02 PM   #5
Rookie

krmarks's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterperpetual
I have a few that just animations more than anything:

1) Throwing out someone at 1st from a throw in the outfield. Some time I get a soft popup or weak grounder that gets through against a slow runner and I should be able to throw them out but one of two things happen, 1) My fielder takes his sweet time throwing the ball. 2) The 1st basemen is nowhere near the bag
This was implemented on purpose at least 1 or 2 versions ago if I recall correctly. It had become to easy to throw slow runners out from right field, especially in online play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2016, 04:09 PM   #6
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

I actually threw a guy out from RF a few games ago. Nelson Cruz threw out a catcher, I think. First time I've done it in years.

Agree with all of those suggestions in the OP. The game needs to be more dynamic in a lot of areas.

Watch me play video games
Old 06-15-2016, 04:54 PM   #7
Rookie

Can someone post the full workaround for letting the pitcher hit? I want to create a starting pitcher, that I can also insert as a PH on days he's not pitching. Can this also be done for an AL team? Any way I can have him pitch every 5 games but have him DH the other 4?
Old 06-19-2016, 09:47 AM   #8
Rookie

If you have a player below 20 speed they can be thrown out from the outfield. Most online leagues I play in have a rule no throws from RF to first base on a single.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »