Home

Could really use some help with players

This is a discussion on Could really use some help with players within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-08-2016, 02:08 AM   #1
Rookie

Shamhat1915's Arena

OVR: 5
Could really use some help with players

Well, I hate "spamming" threads, but could really use some help with something. Since I'm pretty new to NBA games, and basketball in general, can someone help me understand the main roles of each position on the court. And what attributes I should look at for each position.

Once I get a basic understanding of that, I think it will really help me learn how to rebuild a team, which is my favorite thing to do in these games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2016, 03:27 PM   #2
Rookie

maddguuns's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Could really use some help with players

Basketball in general has too many variations to just give a grand overview and still make it comprehensive.

Use this link for the basics: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...asketball.html

Thinks you need to consider are the trends of how the game is played these days. Many teams don't have true centers anymore, they just play too power forward types at the same time as the outside game is more prevalent. Also, the "stretch 4" is becoming a thing. That would be a power forward who can also shoot the three really well.

In case that article above didn't specify, positions are also numbered. A PG is also a 1, SG 2, SF 3, PF 4, and C 5.

If you take the time to watch a few games and pay attention to the talk, you'll have a solid grasp afterward.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:44 PM   #3
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamhat1915
Well, I hate "spamming" threads, but could really use some help with something. Since I'm pretty new to NBA games, and basketball in general, can someone help me understand the main roles of each position on the court. And what attributes I should look at for each position.

Once I get a basic understanding of that, I think it will really help me learn how to rebuild a team, which is my favorite thing to do in these games.
There are a lot of ways to play basketball. But just to get you started:

Point Guard (PG): This is the guy who brings the ball up the floor and initiates the offense. Generally, you want someone with good ball handling and passing vision/accuracy. A PG who can also play defense is also invaluable. If the other team's PG is able to consistently get by the guy guarding him, it forces your teammates to help and puts a ton of pressure on your defense.

Shooting Guard (SG): This is generally a good outside shooter. You want to look for someone with good midrange and 3 point shooting attributes. A good ball handler at this position is a nice bonus because it allows you to not always have to bring to ball up with the PG. A lot of teams have a scoring shooting guard, so again, if you can find a SG that can also play defense, it will help you whenever you run up against other teams.

Small Forward (SF): This position is probably the biggest wildcard on the floor. There are SF's who score, there are SF's that play defense, some can handle the ball, and some can do a little of everything. This is a position where you essentially put your best combination of size, speed, and skill out on the floor. If you don't have an elite SF, I would suggest leaning towards a SF who can play defense. Because elite SF's can be a major problem if you don't have someone that can at least slow them down. Guys like Durant, Lebron, Leonard, Anthony, etc, with their combination of size and skill can be a real pain in this game if you don't have some kind of answer for them.

Power Forward (PF): Another wildcard position. Your traditional PF's are just smaller Centers. They post up down low, get rebounds, protect the rim, and generally have a little mobility/athleticism to their game. However, there has been an trend in recent years to "Stretch-4s." Basically, this means a Power Forward who can shoot from the outside. Generally, this means that you lose some size and muscle in the paint; however, you also force the opposing team's PF to cover your Stretch-4 on the perimeter. This creates more room in the paint for you teammates. You want a PF that can rebound on the defensive end, but what you look for from him offensively is really determined by how you want your team to play.

Center (C): This is your anchor in the middle. You definitely want someone who can rebound and block shots at this spot. This is the guy who makes sure the other team doesn't get an extra possession by grabbing the offensive rebound, and even if they do, they aren't going to get an easy putback off of it. No matter how you decide to play, winning the rebounding battle is a very important part of basketball. Some C's are better at scoring with their back to the basket, some C's are better face-up shooters from midrange, and some C's are just offensively challenged to be honest. Try to get a guy who fits your style, but remember, skilled C's are in pretty short supply.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:11 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 0

A comprehensive review of the NBA situation, players, rules, teams and storylines.

This is a MASSIVE undertaking.

I'm curious if anybody has found a collection of this information.

Just off the top of my head (on top of players archtypes. each team has a story)

How to explain the D-Rose, Chicago situation.

Explain the rise of the young Jazz team.

Explain the scary good future of the Timberwolves.

The process of the 76ers.

The warriors dynasty.

Bucks defensive stalwart.

etc. etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The best way to attack this, i'd argue, is to start by understanding the basic positions, and various archetypes within those positions.

Then learn the NBA situation. What situation is each team in. What should each team be doing/going for.

Also, i'd lastly recommend a set of custom rosters and sliders. Playing on Vanilla doesn't do the NBA justice for the true differences between players.

On specific custom rosters, I'll suggest one below, the great players are truly great, and the role players are just role players. Kevin Durant can simply take over, while Mike Dunleavy... is just Mike Dunleavy.

Sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-profiles.html

Roster: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-xbox-one.html

Last edited by A6_Foul_Out; 06-08-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:32 PM   #5
Rookie

Shamhat1915's Arena

OVR: 5

Thanks for the info! This is really helpful. Gives me some ideas of what to look for. Whenever I build teams, I try to make sure each position is solidified by players who fit certain roles, or excel at certain things and maybe not in other areas. Helps keep me budgeted lol

Now to have some fun and start looking at how I want to run the team and make changes
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »