Home

Should I use circle and square more?

This is a discussion on Should I use circle and square more? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-09-2016, 01:29 PM   #1
Rookie

Frost33's Arena

OVR: 3
Should I use circle and square more?

I'm still trying to learn how to hit and I'm just looking for some pointers. I've been using X pretty much exclusively when hitting and while I've found some success I've noticed that my HR's are very low and contact hitters don't seem to find the holes like they do in RL.

Is there a "best" way to utilizing the contact and power when swinging or just use normal?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2016, 01:37 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Should I use circle and square more?

Contact is more likely to put the ball into play but not be a very good hit. You may want to use this when you've got a runner on third with less than two outs and want to induce a ground ball or fly out. Obviously, the rest depends on your PCI placement.

Power obviously increases power, but at the cost of contact. You can use it when you've got a good hitter's count.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:48 PM   #3
MVP

fearwhatnow's Arena

OVR: 5

It's mostly up to you and depends on the batter ratings but generally you can follow this guide regarding hitting/pitch counts:
0-0 Normal/Power
0-1 Normal/Contact
0-2 Contact
1-1 Normal
1-2 Contact
2-2 Contact/Normal
3-1 Power/Normal
3-2 Normal
1-0 Normal/Power
2-0 Normal/Power
3-0 Power/Normal
Old 04-09-2016, 02:26 PM   #4
Banned

CanOfCornCobb's Arena

You should use neither more than the other and if you choose to use contact or power its because of who's hitting and what the score is. If you have 2 strikes and your hitter has a contact rating below 55 then use contact to put the ball in play and avoid a K. I really dont like the power swing in this game because I think you have just as good a chance to hit a home run with normal than with power because of the pci shrinkage. The only advantage power has over normal is that if you hit a ground ball with power it will travel faster thus increasing your chances of sneaking it by an IF, but that's not why you used it in the first place. Im not telling you not to use power im just telling you I dont think its worth it.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:44 PM   #5
Rookie

Frost33's Arena

OVR: 3

Thanks alot for the advice and tips, I really appreciate it. Loving the game but it's frustrating at times trying to generate runs. In 1 game I had 11 hits, which was pretty cool but I hit into 7 double plays! Needless to say, I was shut out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2016, 03:52 PM   #6
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

I'm slightly different than fearwhatnow:

0-0 - Normal
1-0 - Normal
2-0 - Normal
3-0 - Normal/Power
0-1 - Normal
1-1 - Normal
2-1 - Normal
3-1 -Normal/Power
0-2 - Contact
1-2 - Contact
2-2 - Contact/Normal/Power*
3-2 -Contact**/Normal/Power*

* Only in the most desperate of situations
** Only when I HAVE to put the ball in play
Old 04-09-2016, 04:08 PM   #7
Banned

Beatles's Arena

I usually use power with only Power hitters. I rarely ever use power swing if a flamethrower is on the mound because his fastball is going to do the damage for me if I get a good hit. I will use power to start off but if I am ahead of the count I will continue to use power but if I'm behind I will switch to normal and if I need to put the ball in play I always use contact and mostly use contact when I have two strikes against me.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:25 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

I go mostly by player ratings/skill types

High = 75+
Low = 45-

High contact, low power...depends on PVis. If low PVis...contact only. Otherwise, normal. Take on 3-0.

High contact, high power...Power only, except MAYBE with 2 strikes...then normal. Maybe. (Probably depends on situation - man on 3rd and < 2 outs...Normal, etc). Green light on 3-0.

High contact, medium power...normal unless 2-0, 3-0, 3-1. Then power. Green light on 3-0 if pitcher is scuffling.

Medium contact, lower power...contact only (take sign on 3-0)

Medium contact, high power...power only until 2 strikes, then normal (sometimes). Green light on 3-0

Medium/Medium...normal unless 2-0, 3-0, 3-1 - then power. Green light on 3-0 if pitcher is scuffling.

Low contact, low power...why am I playing him again? Contact only. Take on 3-0 (and probably 3-1)

Low contact, high power...Power only, even on 2 strikes. Might as well...he's probably going to make an out anyway so those hits better be big. Green light on 3-0 if near center/center location

Low contact, medium power...normal until 2 strikes. Take on 3-0 (and probably 3-1).

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »