Home

I'm sorry I don't understand Captains - help?

This is a discussion on I'm sorry I don't understand Captains - help? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 04-06-2016, 12:33 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
I'm sorry I don't understand Captains - help?

I feel really dumb but I don't normally play these collectible card things in sports games. So maybe the Captiain concept is a no-brainier for many of you but not myself. Does it cost stubs to choose a captain or is it free? I'm afraid to hit the button and losing all my stubs. If it does cost stubs to have a captain is it easy for you to come out behind for choosing a captain?

There appears to be a countdown timer. Do captains expire? If they cost stubs, my concern is I get sick a lot and sometimes can't play for extended periods of time. I just never know. Right now I have 5,000 stubs that came with my game, so I could get that first captain but am not sure if I should?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers and thanks for the help

Last edited by japinard; 04-06-2016 at 12:42 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2016, 01:12 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: I'm sorry I don't understand Captains - help?

Picking a captain is free. Once you hit level 1, you can buy a pack of cards that gives you players towards your captains mission, but you don't need to buy it.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:39 PM   #3
Rookie

I've clicked the square button to "select captain" a bunch of times but nothing has happened. Is it supposed to show somewhere who my captain is? Like Is the square supposed to be highlighted?
Old 04-06-2016, 08:27 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 5

It should be highlighted and the other cards kind of look grayed out.

Found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r0oSWC3Eqg

Last edited by p00p1; 04-06-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:13 PM   #5
Rookie

Ahhh so a bunch of the captain options were greed out with a slash because of my low level apparently. So the only one I could choose was the first guy. That's why it was so confusing. So now I can select someone else, and hopefully, for like using players with the number over 40 on their jersey, I will get tickets for every single guy in a game like that? Or will it only be once per game?

Also I can't even see what the jersey numbers are, or where they're listed when I'm in my squad...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2016, 11:24 PM   #6
Rookie

Kevin82485's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by japinard
Ahhh so a bunch of the captain options were greed out with a slash because of my low level apparently. So the only one I could choose was the first guy. That's why it was so confusing. So now I can select someone else, and hopefully, for like using players with the number over 40 on their jersey, I will get tickets for every single guy in a game like that? Or will it only be once per game?

Also I can't even see what the jersey numbers are, or where they're listed when I'm in my squad...
You don't get tickets for every single player that meets the captain's mission criteria, you earn progress toward a 25 ticket reward for each player that meets the captain's mission criteria. If you look in the upper right, you will see something like 55/100. That is the progress you have made toward the 25 ticket reward.

So for example, if you have 10 players in your lineup with a jersey number over 40, Jacob deGrom selected as your captain, and play 3 Diamond Dynasty games, that progress circle thing will say 30/100. Play 7 more DD games and you will have reached 100/100 progress and will automatically receive 25 tickets. The counter will reset to zero and you can start the mission over to get another 25 tickets. The mission doesn't change once you've completed it

You can tell which players qualify for the captain's mission by looking at the player card and looking for the small "C's" on their player card. Using the previous example again, you will want to select players that have the 2nd "C" filled in, that is for deGrom. Donaldson is the 1st C, Altuve is the 3rd C, Rizzo is the 4th C, Hosmer is the 5th C, and Ortiz is the 6th C. A lot of the players will have more than one C filled in, so they qualify for multiple captain's missions.

Also, they made it unnecessarily difficult, in my opinion, to redeem card packs that you may have received for free. Press the touchpad, go to Show Shop, and select Purchase or Redeem. If you have any free packs, select them from here so they download, then go to Collect, then Packs to open the packs you may have just download for free.

Another thing, and this is just my opinion and preference, you can play how you want, but I don't sell any cards unless it is a duplicate. There are additional, non-captain missions to collect 25 players from each team, X number of stadium cards, and X number of equipment cards, so hang onto your cards to earn extra XP and stubs in the future.

One last thing, and again, this is just the way I play, but I don't use stubs to buy card packs right away. Initially as you're building your team to be competitive, I think the cards you get out of the packs are generally not worth what it costs to buy a pack. So use your stubs to buy player cards from the marketplace. You can pick exactly who you want and get a better value. You can be frugal and field a better Diamond Dynasty team for less stubs than a few packs of cards. A pack of cards that will inevitably contain duplicate cards that you already have, and a bunch of low rated players. Check if you have any free packs first though.
Wisconsin Badgers

XBL: TheJudge24
PSN: UntalentedTalent

Last edited by Kevin82485; 04-07-2016 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:48 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 0

It's a vendor that has exclusive items based on lvl and tickets earned.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2016, 12:14 AM   #8
Rookie

Kevin82485's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by iam31yearsold
It's a vendor that has exclusive items based on lvl and tickets earned.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Huh?
Wisconsin Badgers

XBL: TheJudge24
PSN: UntalentedTalent

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »