Home

Elephant in the Room: AI Bullpen Usage

This is a discussion on Elephant in the Room: AI Bullpen Usage within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-05-2016, 04:28 PM   #1
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18
Elephant in the Room: AI Bullpen Usage

I know most of us are aware of it, but the AI's poor usage of their bullpen doesn't seem to be something discussed enough. It's perhaps the game's biggest flaw, simply because it's never received the proper attention in a patch or new game for what's been years now.

Here is what I just submitted to the Shownation bug report site.

Perhaps a healthy discussion will receive some attention, and we can also point out more specifics in the hopes of getting this fixed up:

https://youtu.be/MN4eGjp-Ncs?t=1h17m33s

If you watch the video above (time marked already), you'll see one example of the bullpen AI which truly taints an otherwise wonderful game (once we get carryover franchise patched up). The Pirates take a 2-run lead in the top of the 9th, yet never get their closer up to pitch. If you continue to watch the bottom of the 9th, the Tigers come back and score 3 on a Miguel Cabrera bases clearing 2B against the same exact pitcher the AI used in the 8th. This is with the manager hook slider at the default 5, and on HoF difficulty.

I love the Show, but this truly is bad bad bad. It ruins the experience, and it needs attention. The bullpen AI in this game is horendous--you never see situational matchups used correctly, and RP are typically only removed after they've done something bad. They repeatedly are pitching 1+ innings per appearance as if it were the mid-80's MLB.

Thanks for taking a look. I'm rooting for you all!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2016, 04:34 PM   #2
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Elephant in the Room: AI Bullpen Usage

I constantly see the same guy that comes in the middle of an inning start the next inning off when the matchup should dictacte somebody else.

Good example was I playing against WAS and they brought in Oliver Perez to face a lefty...he got me out and the next half inning, he was pitching against a RHP when they were only up by 1 and it was the 8th.

I'd like to see some further matchup analysis done under the hood...maybe instead of a "setup guy" we could designate a 7th/8th/9th inning preferred pitcher.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:37 PM   #3
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18

I stand correct on the closer part at least: Melancon is indeed their closer. But why was he brought in during the 8th inning of a tie game on the road then?!
Old 04-05-2016, 05:23 PM   #4
All Star

OVR: 0

This is really the only issue this game as. It to bad there is not a manager hook slider for bullpen pitchers to go with the one we do have. I guess if you change that slider in game once the CPU goes to the bullpen and also have the relief pitcher stamina slider low that can help some but not really fix this.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:27 PM   #5
Rookie

Cman9's Arena

Yeah, cpu does a bad job as far as rightie/lefty matchups out of the pen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2016, 05:58 PM   #6
Pro

Don Jon's Arena

OVR: 3

Yea...... I have to put the cpu reliever stamina slider on 1 because of this. I've had to do this almost every year playing the Show. Without it, (unless you chase the RP with runs) the cpu keeps its RP's in there for 2+ innings.

Thank you for bringing this issue to the main thread, its been underlying for a while.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:41 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

I agree it could be better. I wouldn't to see a robotic adherence to vsL/vsR match ups, at least not until pitcher splits come in (otherwise it doesn't matter in terms of game play/results if the hitter is basically even vs both and risks the AI bringing in a worse pitcher just to get the handedness match-up).

I notice the CPU has no problems bringing in lefties when Davis and Harper are due up. My next hitter is a switch hitter who's good against both (less power vs LHP), then the next is another switch hitter who's even against both.

After that it's a couple RHB - but they, too, are even against both.

Unless the lefty is tiring or ineffective, it wouldn't make much sense to burn an arm for no match up advantage. Now if pitchers had vsL/vsR, then maybe it would a) be able to make even better decisions, and b) there's more places for match-up to actually matter.

I haven't seen the closer come in in the 8th. I've seen him start warming in the 8th but never enter the game.

The biggest gripe I have with the AI is removing/PH'ing for SP that are still very effective and not tired/at a high pitch count. Nothing like losing 2-0 in the 7th against an ace (or a guy pitching like one) only to face a crappy reliever (often times using match up - as if LHP/LHP will cover up the fact he has 55 H/9 and 45 BB/9...Harper is much lower vs LHP...but he can still hurt a guy like that...)

I'd rather the AI stick with the RHP that's been getting him out all night long, match-up disadvantage or not.

Last edited by KBLover; 04-05-2016 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:12 PM   #8
MVP

ninertravel's Arena

the A1 managing BP is always pathetic they will bring a closer in the 9th NO MATTER WHAT if it's a close situation meaning if their CP is gased because he has pitched the last 3 days I just know I am gonna make a comeback the AI NEVER uses fatigue logic it keeps using score logic

I have to switch controller select screen to do the stupid CPU AI BP myself

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »