Home

Looking for a tips and tricks on Player Training for Franchise

This is a discussion on Looking for a tips and tricks on Player Training for Franchise within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-01-2016, 03:10 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Looking for a tips and tricks on Player Training for Franchise

So I am looking to see if there are any past tips and tricks on how to properly use the player training feature in Franchise Mode. It seems no matter what I do in training players digress. For example in my Reds Franchise Eugenio Suarez who is only 24 years old is having a hot month but he is not progressing at all. Then with older Veteran they could be having a comeback season but still take a major hit in all categories.

I have tried to look online for answers but there seems to be no videos on past games or on the forums on player training.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2016, 05:08 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Looking for a tips and tricks on Player Training for Franchise

Training can do only so much. If a player is in decline, good play and/or training can help some but won't stem the tide completely.

To use an example from my franchise - I'm in 2021 and I have 34-year-old Chris Davis.

He's slowing down - OVR dropped out of the "A" range (89)

So I focused his training on power, his primary asset. I've done this for a few years now once I saw him fall towards 90.

He's still playing very well. All-Star level production at the plate.

His power vs RHP is showing a +2 right now at 98. His vs LHP power has regained all its points (was showing decline but now it's recovered), but is still down at 75 (was in the 80's when his decline started).

However, contact is at -1/+1 (odd his vs LHP is going up) and his Vision/Disc/Clutch are dropping with Vision and Discipline dropping sort of quickly -4 and -3 through early June. His defense is starting to slip towards solidly below average - down to 49 reaction.

So for older players, I would focus on an area that's the main reason you have them around or the area you want to preserve the most in the case of an all-around decent/good player. Keep them playing well, especially in the area you're training - that may help as well, though some of these ratings just fall very fast, like Vision.

For younger players - pretty much the same thing, but in reverse. Focus on the areas that will get them to the bigs either as their main strength or the areas that are the biggest weaknesses. Say you have a high contact, good speed infielder but his defense is iffy - I'd work on his defense. Or if you had a young phenom power hitter, I'd get that very high and then work on his contact so he can hit for some kind of average and consistently be able to use his power (instead of hitting 100 foot high pop ups too much).

I don't know how much those ETAs matter when you draft players - perhaps that's some hint towards a hidden "speed of development" rating. Also not sure what governs it for created players or existing minors players.

And this might not have anything to do with anything, but I like having coaches, that emphasize what I want to develop (they have +1, +2, or +3 in those ratings).

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »