Home

Ballpark Factors

This is a discussion on Ballpark Factors within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-30-2016, 04:12 PM   #1
Cod
MVP

Cod's Arena

OVR: 10
Ballpark Factors

Are ballpark factors simulated accurately in this game, if at all?

I can't find the actual stat anywhere in franchise mode, but that doesn't mean that they don't play an active part of the game.

Does anyone know? Or is all speculative?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2016, 04:45 PM   #2
Rookie

RizzobiOne's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Ballpark Factors

Ballpark factors meaning what?
Old 03-30-2016, 04:50 PM   #3
Rookie

hhayes81's Arena

OVR: 0

I'm assuming you're referencing the altitude in Coors Field and such and Ramone has said that the thin air in Coors Field is taken into account. Other than that I dont know of any other ball park factors that would need to be addressed.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:03 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhayes81
I'm assuming you're referencing the altitude in Coors Field and such and Ramone has said that the thin air in Coors Field is taken into account. Other than that I dont know of any other ball park factors that would need to be addressed.
I played the last three seasons with the Rockies at Coors Field and I never noticed any significant difference between the generated offense at home versus away. But I also never kept detail stats of how my team and the opposition performed. However nomo17k recently completed an entire 2430 game CPU vs CPU season using MLB 15 where he kept detailed stats and I believe he reported the Rockies hit something like .290 at home and .260 on the road. So I am sure there is something in the game to compensate for the thin air of Coors Field. As far as other stadium effects are concerned, unless wind can be accurately modeled (which I don't think it is, at least not right now), I don't know how to say different stadium effects are in place besides stadium dimensions. Speaking of which, I think the classic stadiums are interesting to have in the game. But playing at a place like the Polo Grounds drives me nuts. It's so easy to hit a HR for pull hitters and so hard if you hit to dead center.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:17 PM   #5
Cod
MVP

Cod's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzobiOne
Ballpark factors meaning what?
Meaning do all ballparks play the same or not. In a rudimentary way, do some parks in game actually favor pitchers or hitters (more in-depth than though though)? When simulating games, do parks with a doubles factor above 1 actually have more doubles happen there? If all stadiums play / simulate the same, then where you play has zero factor in the game other than aesthetics.

If you don't understand how park factors work, I suggest reading this link for a quick understanding: http://www.fangraphs.com/library/the...-park-factors/. here's a chart of how 2013-2014 looked as it relates to park factors: https://rotogrinders.com/pages/ballpark-factors-49556. Looking at the chart, you can see that players playing more time at Nationals Park are less likely to get triples than say a player at The Ballpark at Arlington.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2016, 07:18 PM   #6
Cod
MVP

Cod's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by My993C2
I played the last three seasons with the Rockies at Coors Field and I never noticed any significant difference between the generated offense at home versus away. But I also never kept detail stats of how my team and the opposition performed. However nomo17k recently completed an entire 2430 game CPU vs CPU season using MLB 15 where he kept detailed stats and I believe he reported the Rockies hit something like .290 at home and .260 on the road. So I am sure there is something in the game to compensate for the thin air of Coors Field. As far as other stadium effects are concerned, unless wind can be accurately modeled (which I don't think it is, at least not right now), I don't know how to say different stadium effects are in place besides stadium dimensions. Speaking of which, I think the classic stadiums are interesting to have in the game. But playing at a place like the Polo Grounds drives me nuts. It's so easy to hit a HR for pull hitters and so hard if you hit to dead center.
The only way to test all the stadiums is to simulate an entire season multiple times and track the stats at that specific stadium. Does the game even let you do this? For example, is there a way to look at all the runs scored at Safeco Field? I don't think there is, but I could be wrong.

One of the devs could pop in here and give us a rundown on whether or not park factors are implemented and if so, how so.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:21 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod
Are ballpark factors simulated accurately in this game, if at all?

I can't find the actual stat anywhere in franchise mode, but that doesn't mean that they don't play an active part of the game.

Does anyone know? Or is all speculative?

If the factor is mostly due to dimensions - then I think it plays pretty accurately in The Show.

If it's due to things like marine layer air (cooler and wetter) or desert air (hot and dry) or the way the wind generally works at the park, or differences in day/night behavior of the park, then I'm not certain and have read here in the past that it is not considered - with Coors Field being the exception.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:41 PM   #8
Cod
MVP

Cod's Arena

KBLover, when you dig deeper, it deals with more than just physical dimensions of the stadium/field.

Really, the ultimate question I'm trying to figure out is whether or not playing in a different park actually has any effect on stats.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »