Home

Perfect Golf: RTS-C has arrived!

This is a discussion on Perfect Golf: RTS-C has arrived! within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-06-2016, 08:09 PM   #1
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10
Perfect Golf: RTS-C has arrived!

Perfect Parallel released update 1.3.9.0 for Perfect Golf a couple of weeks ago and the weight of what it brings seems to lost in the other two Perfect Golf threads. I'm not sure that some of the customer, and potential customer base realizes just how comprehensive this update turned out to be. The introduction of two basic real time swing interfaces, Real Time Swing Controller (RTS-C) and Real Time Swing Mouse (RTS-M) have now put Perfect Golf ahead of the pack in gameplay options and innovation. It's a 'new ball game'.

I've been involved in the Perfect Golf beta for over a year. Much of that time, Perfect Golf only offered two swing control interfaces: 3-Click and a non-real-time mouse swing called Motion Control. I'd weaned myself off 3-Click in 1998, when Headgate Studios retooled version of True Swing in PGA Championship Golf '99. Perfect Golf's 3-Click works as well as any other 3-Click interface I'd ever tried, but even when it's well implemented, 3-Click doesn't engage my senses. Perfect Golf's motion swing uses an analog mouse control action, but it consists of moving a cursor down and up on the screen in a tempo that you would think would be proportional to a good golf swing. When you're done moving the cursor, you sit back and watch the action unfold... in virtual tape delay. It was a process that I would say was challenging, yet sensually disconnected.

Perfect Parallel knew they had to answer the bell with a real time interface a long time ago, and has now stepped up to the plate with real time swing and difficulty options that are second to none! I've primarily been a thumbstick controller golfer since I tasted Links 2004 on the original Xbox. Perfect Golf's RTS-C has a chance of matching and surpassing Links 2004's swing. It definitely has a broader risk/reward component than any other controller swing to date.

If you're a thumbstick controller swing enthusiast like me, Perfect Golf's swing interface is one you must try. It is without question the the most dynamic controller swing interface I've ever laid hands on, but quite a bit of the time I find it too dynamic. Even playing in the game's second easiest (of five) diffultly level, With the XBox 360 controller, I'm doing good to hit 50% FIRs and 40% GIRs, with 75 being considered a good score. It just seems like the tuning is a little too "hot" right now, as I can stand on the practice tee and hit 50 shots, and not one of them will be reported as "on plane" by the swing feedback telemetry that's available there. OTOH, when you manage to hit a shot right, there's a greater sense of gratification because you can grasp what it was about the swing that you did right to make it happen.

There's still some considerable tuning work do be done with RTS-C right now, as the difficulty can vary wildly between an XBox 360/XBox One controller, and a Sony DS4 controller. The DS4 controller, for whatever reason, is a lot more forgiving in Perfect Golf than the XBox family. I have to ratchet the overall game difficulty up to "Pro" (the second most difficult level) to have a control challenge comparable to the XBox 360 controller. Some ask me why don't I just play with DS4 controller and go with the option that allows me to be the most competitive, but the fact is that I simply don't like the feel of the DS4 controller for golf games. I'm a left thumbstick swinger, and I like the higher position of the left thumbstick on the XBox controller's bodies. I have long thumbs and this sets up not only a more familiar feel in terms of tracking the modeled swing motion, it just seems less awkward than the most servere control angle my thumb is forced to take with the DS4.

Perfect Parallel maintains that this is a work in progress, and indeed it's still classified as "Early Access". There have been tremendous changes made to the controller interface, spanning over six weeks now (going back to the beta test period). When I see how far it's come in that amount of time, I have a high degree of confidence that the refinements needed to balance RTS-C play will come, and we'll have a scalable difficulty golf game that can put as much of a premium on your ability to model a golf swing as anyone would ever want.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2016, 09:13 AM   #2
Rookie

dpc134's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Perfect Golf: RTS-C has arrived!

I tried the RTS-C swing and really like it. The problem that I have is, I cannot access the game settings or quit my round because the keyboard and mouse are inactive while using a controller. The game navigation is clunky and frustrating. I will go back to this game once it becomes more user friendly with the controller. I do like where the developers are going with this game, but for me, it still feels too frustrating to put much time into it.
Also, there are no instructions on in game controls using a controller.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:41 AM   #3
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc134
I tried the RTS-C swing and really like it. The problem that I have is, I cannot access the game settings or quit my round because the keyboard and mouse are inactive while using a controller. The game navigation is clunky and frustrating. I will go back to this game once it becomes more user friendly with the controller. I do like where the developers are going with this game, but for me, it still feels too frustrating to put much time into it.
Yeah, I forgot to harp on the menu navigation with the controller. There are a number of menu selections one needs to make, like selecting friends from the friend list in the pre game menu, highlighting "Global" so you can go back to the main chat lobby from the pre-game screen... more than I can list here. PP knows all this and are working on it. I have to start out in mouse/keyboard because of the gimped controller navigation, and then remember to select gamepad, in the settings menu in the pre-game lobby before readying up or launching the game. It is a PITA though!
Old 03-10-2016, 11:41 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc134
You can press the "start" button on your controller of choice to access the settings. Also, you can find a controller mapping layout in the "help" section of settings.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:47 PM   #5
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

Re: Perfect Golf: Update 1.3.9.3 is Live

Perfect Parallel has made their long anticipated 1.3.9.3 update available this morning. Here's what's in it:

New 32 and 64 bit versions of PG
Now when you update PG if you have a 64bit machine it should download the 64bit version of the game

New Ball Roll Physics
We have finally fixed the bug where the ball was not rotating at the same speed as the ball was moving. We have also added a logo to the ball.

All New On Course Practice Mode
We have finally added a new MOP called Practice( change Stroke, Match etc to PRactice). In this mode you get two new buttons in the bottom left of the screen. The Ball Icon once clicked will allow you to move the ball anywhere on the screen or even in the top view and your next shot will be from that position. works just like the aim stick
In addition there is a practice icon which gives you the opportunity to go to any hole on the course or change the wind speed and direction

New Game Play Modes
Greensomes MOP Added
2Man Scramble MOP Added
4Man Scramble MOP Added

New Features
Added a Simulator offset to allow Sim users to not have the ball in the center of the screen -> sim_SideOffset can be set in console pre game. + moves ball to left - to right of screen.
Added MatchPlay, and Team Events to the API Tournament Score Reporting
Added Display of all golfer balls on top view
Added a feature to allow non tournmanent players to play on a local game with a tournament player with only the tournament players scores being reported. First player in game should report
Added elevation to the yardage listed beside players on the left
Modified the setting in Players for the auto green grid. You now have 3 options "Always On" , "Always Off" and "On Green Only"
Added Lie to Post Shot

Simulator Improvements (Please Note all simulation options may not work without appropriate beta access from Manufacturer)
Putting and Simulation Mode for Trackman 4
Putting for Skytrak has been toned down in terms of horizontal error
Added integration
Split the Simulator UI Device selection out from main device leaving a generic sim device and sub devices

Other Items / Bug Fixes
Improvements to network code
Improvements to memory usage
Made some improvements to the hole cup physics
Fixes to the cameras for stuck in pano modeFixes to the hole cup for ball falling through terrain into hole
Fix to scorecard not showing for all players at start of hole if selected in UI
Fix for PROS auto on when exiting RTS modes
Fix for TP more than 3 second putt
Fix for XBOX One Menu Button to go to settings
Fix for chat getting disabled in controller mode
Fix for Ani bones structure in lower quality settings
Fix for loss of aiming from time to time
Multiple imporvements to Computer Player
Fixed Custom Flag Sticks not showing in game
Moved Free camera on controller to DPAD Down
Moved Spot Pin on controller to Left Trigger + Dpad Down
Moved Scorecard / Leaderboard on controller to Left Trigger + Dpad Left
added an option to turn off the mouse scroll wheel changes club in game settings
Improved the First Install Graphics options for a better first time experience
Fix a bug in the reporting API which did not distinguish between a hole not played and a hole in one in nearest the pin tournaments.
Fixed As it Lies not showing as the first drop option
Fixed Tournament Scroll Bar
Fixed a bunch of Controller Navigation Bugs

I'll add my comments on it. I've been beta testing this game and ever since the 64 bit game version was introduced to beta, I've not had one crash from it, even with the newer more detailed user created courses that have been giving others fits on the 32 bit version.
The ball now looks more spherical and with the logo on it appearing and disappearing as it rolls adds so much to the idea that it is rolling and not being plotted across a surface.

If you're an XBox One controller fan, the XBox One controller functionality has improved just a bit with this build, but the left and right D pad buttons still have no function and the Change Camera and zoom to landing functions are the down and up buttons on the D pad. At least the most important function that was missing earlier - the Menu function - is working now via the "Start" button. The hole flyby is now working via the select button, FWIW. It's better than it was before, but why oh why can't the XBox One controller be mapped the same way as the XBox 360 controllers? They've got the identical buttons and sticks?

I can navigate well enough with where it's at now, but there's no reason XBox One controller users should have compromised functionality Overall though this game is more lively and stable now, but it's still got room for tuning in the controller department. It's getting there...

Last edited by OnlookerDelay; 03-30-2016 at 03:03 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2016, 11:22 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

The update should auto-update right? I'm streaming some PG right now actually, really enjoying this game, btw.

https://www.twitch.tv/matt10l
Old 03-31-2016, 01:40 AM   #7
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
The update should auto-update right?
It should, I know it did for me. Well, here's the way it actually went for me. I alt-tabbed over to Steam and I was already in my game library there. I saw Perfect Golf on the list with the notation "Update Queed" in parentheses after it. I clicked play and it took about 30 to 45 seconds to download and update Perfect Golf to 1.3.9. The next time I clicked it, the main game menu loaded up.

The update is supposed to recognize whether you're running a 32 or 64 bit OS, and will reportedly download and install the correct version as part of the update. To ensure that I had downloaded and installed the 64 bit version, and that the 64 bit version was indeed running, I followed the instructions found here http://www.digitalcitizen.life/3-way...-bit-or-32-bit to confirm that I was actually running the 64 bit version.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:54 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
It should, I know it did for me. Well, here's the way it actually went for me. I alt-tabbed over to Steam and I was already in my game library there. I saw Perfect Golf on the list with the notation "Update Queed" in parentheses after it. I clicked play and it took about 30 to 45 seconds to download and update Perfect Golf to 1.3.9. The next time I clicked it, the main game menu loaded up.

The update is supposed to recognize whether you're running a 32 or 64 bit OS, and will reportedly download and install the correct version as part of the update. To ensure that I had downloaded and installed the 64 bit version, and that the 64 bit version was indeed running, I followed the instructions found here http://www.digitalcitizen.life/3-way...-bit-or-32-bit to confirm that I was actually running the 64 bit version.
Perfect, thanks, OD - I also noticed the version of my game displays on the home screen in-game, on the bottom right. Wohoo. Really enjoying the game btw. Putting can be tricky, but once you get it, it works.

Like I've said before, the modern swing of the player model just engrosses me into the game even more. Hope they continue to build and improve the character lighting and dimensions though. Overall, very satisfied - now, I just need to download some custom courses.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »