Home

Is it possible to get top-tier guys as a casual player?

This is a discussion on Is it possible to get top-tier guys as a casual player? within the EA Sports NHL Hockey Ultimate Team forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Hockey Ultimate Team
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-24-2016, 02:55 PM   #1
Rookie

DoEweWumb0's Arena

OVR: 5
Unhappy Is it possible to get top-tier guys as a casual player?

Hey all

So I'd consider myself a casual HUT player, only playing roughly 4hr/Week (total guess). I'm a huge Phil Kessel fan but looking at his market value of ~90k I don't ever see myself accruing that amount of coins.

I have a 4star team I've built of the best guys I could get for around 2k or so but my best player is 85ovr and I'd really like to have a few top flight guys for once... Bought around 5 gold jumbo's but didn't get anything of significant value..

Pretty much everyone says there is two options to really rack up the pucks - buy them on the black market (Not even sure how that's accomplished) or grind on the market for hours, flipping players. I used to do the collections and get the 20k or so that would provide but I suppose that's gone by the waist side this year....

So I guess what I'm saying is should I just abadon HUT and go play online with the actual Penguins or is there some sort of Puck-farming insight that I'm missing?

Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2016, 05:03 PM   #2
Rookie

Sneaktip's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Is it possible to get top-tier guys as a casual player?

No. Just play Be a GM. HUT is a waste of money. I've heard you are more likely to score good players in packs 2 months before the next game comes out.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:15 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoEweWumb0
Hey all

So I'd consider myself a casual HUT player, only playing roughly 4hr/Week (total guess). I'm a huge Phil Kessel fan but looking at his market value of ~90k I don't ever see myself accruing that amount of coins.

I have a 4star team I've built of the best guys I could get for around 2k or so but my best player is 85ovr and I'd really like to have a few top flight guys for once... Bought around 5 gold jumbo's but didn't get anything of significant value..

Pretty much everyone says there is two options to really rack up the pucks - buy them on the black market (Not even sure how that's accomplished) or grind on the market for hours, flipping players. I used to do the collections and get the 20k or so that would provide but I suppose that's gone by the waist side this year....

So I guess what I'm saying is should I just abadon HUT and go play online with the actual Penguins or is there some sort of Puck-farming insight that I'm missing?

Thanks!
I'm a pretty casual player. I think I'm in Division 4 with a record of like 50-15-10

I pre-ordered the more expensive version to get the free packs (which was a giant rip off by the way).

I've done about 6-7 of the team collections.

Best player I got from a pack was an 89 Kopitar. No one else was above an 85 (out of about ~40 gold packs)

I think getting one top player (~90k or so pucks) can be grinded out over a month.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:36 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 26

Feel your pain and I only had to get Miller and the Sedin twins for my team, and that was only a 27k expenditure in total... but I am so broke now and the rest of my team is pretty much maxed at 84 and 85 ratings.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:30 PM   #5
OuttaNaptown

punx317's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoEweWumb0
Hey all

Thanks!
Honestly don't waste your time farming pucks. The higher division you get the less fun hut becomes, division 1 doesn't resemble hockey after the introductions. I understand the limited time thing as I work a lot of hours and get one day a week to play so a gm mode isn't really the answer cuz you just want to get on the ice. Best advice I could give is find friends to play with and just use the play a friend option. Opsports guys are usually great guys to go against
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2016, 09:21 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by punx317
Honestly don't waste your time farming pucks. The higher division you get the less fun hut becomes, division 1 doesn't resemble hockey after the introductions. I understand the limited time thing as I work a lot of hours and get one day a week to play so a gm mode isn't really the answer cuz you just want to get on the ice. Best advice I could give is find friends to play with and just use the play a friend option. Opsports guys are usually great guys to go against
Definitely true that the higher you go up, the less fun it is. Division 1, which I was in for NHL 14 and 15, was pretty stupid mostly because:

1) People have insane teams. They must drop $500+ into the game. In Division 1, every team I would play would have a team full of the highest rated forwards. 4th lines with a 95 on it. Teams that their bottom line players were worth more pucks than my entire roster.

2) HUT, more than Online Versus IMO, skews game play heavily to favor higher rated players. I'm talking about stuff like the puck is bouncing, my 87 D is standing right there and the puck magically is never picked up. His 93 skates by and scoops same puck up no problem. Stuff like that where it truly doesn't matter how good you are, the physics change to benefit the higher rated player. I play any other game with that 87 D against an equal team? No problem picking up the puck right away.

3) The higher you go up, the more frequently you will play people that abuse the game engine. Stuff like non-stop spamming of poke check (which with their 95 D is insanely effective). You NEVER would see hockey played like that. But in Division 1? Non-stop every game. Just a lot of stupid annoying plays, or the guy that gets a lead in the 3rd and then just circles his own net to kill time because your AI, even at full aggression/forecheck, is too stupid to come in and help.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:49 PM   #7
Pro

stevostl's Arena

I think I will just stick to vs mode after reading some of this. I'm 10 - 0 in vs mode starting out so thought I start my first game in HUT I got smoked by a guy who I felt I was better than.

I have no full synergy points so maybe that is why.. but my roster was made up of all 82 and higher.. and I looked at the other guys roster I was playing and he had all no names it seemed like to me. Not even one star player but yet his team seemed over powered compared to mine. I seriously don't get it. He even had Laurent Brossoit prospect goalie who stood on his head as well.

I don't get the play but it seem a lot different to me than vs mode which I have been doing good in. usually if i feel I'm playing better than the guy I feel I should win or have a close game.. but this guy he beat me easily and only had 12 shots the entire game. it's like everything he did was OP

maybe it's just the better players play HUT than VS mode.. I dunno but I think I will just stick with VS mode. I was going to try to get into hut but so much time it seems like is required and to build ur team.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Hockey Ultimate Team »