Home

Thoughts on Pistol Offense in NCAA 14?

This is a discussion on Thoughts on Pistol Offense in NCAA 14? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-22-2016, 07:44 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Thoughts on Pistol Offense in NCAA 14?

I'm interested in running the pistol offense exclusively. I started a Hawaii dynasty and think the pistol would be a good fit there. I'm thinking about using the heavy run version (think Colin Kapernick at Nevada). Anyone else try this? Is it glitchy, overpowered underpowered, just right?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2016, 11:33 PM   #2
All Star

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Thoughts on Pistol Offense in NCAA 14?

I run a spread option attack (about 20 SG formations) with a little pistol (about 5 formations) for variety.

I have not found a pistol formation without a buggy *** run game. It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens ENTIRELY too often. It can happen on options or on straight up HB dives.

On runs the QB stands sideways with the ball held out, the HB puts his belly on the ball, takes it (unless the QB pulls it in an option keeper) and runs. The glitch that happens is that instead of putting his belly on the QB's hands, the HB puts it on the QB's elbows which prevents the handoff and the QB just stands there for a second or two, waiting to be tackled.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 01-23-2016, 01:34 AM   #3
MVP

Mjphillips's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
I run a spread option attack (about 20 SG formations) with a little pistol (about 5 formations) for variety.

I have not found a pistol formation without a buggy *** run game. It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens ENTIRELY too often. It can happen on options or on straight up HB dives.

On runs the QB stands sideways with the ball held out, the HB puts his belly on the ball, takes it (unless the QB pulls it in an option keeper) and runs. The glitch that happens is that instead of putting his belly on the QB's hands, the HB puts it on the QB's elbows which prevents the handoff and the QB just stands there for a second or two, waiting to be tackled.
That only happens when I no huddle to a read option type play in the pistol. Same with the cpu but it doesn't happen all the time like you typed. I just call it a busted play and move on.

After thinking about it, you're right about dives. It also happens on those but only when I no huddle.

Last edited by Mjphillips; 01-23-2016 at 01:39 AM.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:33 PM   #4
All Star

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjphillips
That only happens when I no huddle to a read option type play in the pistol. Same with the cpu but it doesn't happen all the time like you typed.
Not only didn't I say it happens all the time, but I specifically wrote that it doesn't happen all the time.
Quote:
It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens ENTIRELY too often.
I run a no huddle offense, so since you said it only happens when you no huddle, then I probably see it a lot more often than you do.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 01-23-2016, 12:45 PM   #5
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63

I've seen that happen in pistol without running no huddle.
usually happens for me when my QB has less than 70 speed. which I normally don't have any except at the start of the dynasty.

College Football 25 Team Information Spreadsheet
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2016, 02:44 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 1

There are some good option runs out of it. I found most of the rest of the run game to be lacking, even with the formations with extra blockers. I ran better out of the shotgun or under center. Might've just been me though.

The passing game was pretty similar to shotgun formations.

I think Pistol makes a nice addition to a shotgun playbook or even an under center playbook but I don't know if I'd be able to run it as my main offense.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:33 PM   #7
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

To me, it depends on the specific formation. I think the two back variety can be quite good for run plays - but the single back pistol formations are a bit lacking in the run department in my opinion.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:56 AM   #8
MVP

Mjphillips's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Not only didn't I say it happens all the time, but I specifically wrote that it doesn't happen all the time.

I run a no huddle offense, so since you said it only happens when you no huddle, then I probably see it a lot more often than you do.
Yeah man I was actually agreeing with everything you said about it not happening all the time (the same thing you typed in your other post). Your tone was a little strong so I'll chalk it up to a misunderstanding.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »