Home

How realistic is NBA 2k16s gameplay overall?

This is a discussion on How realistic is NBA 2k16s gameplay overall? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 12-13-2015, 03:28 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
How realistic is NBA 2k16s gameplay overall?

Dear fellow sportsgame enthusiasts,

I take to the OS forums once again to get intel from experts in the matter: Should i get NBA 2k16? To properly gauge this matter a little bit of context could come in handy for those who bother to answer me: I am in my thirties...i pretty much only play offline or against my friends that live across the country; i do not care for ranked matches against strangers...and i most certainly DON'T care about some livin' the dream crap...i mean "Frequency Vibrations"...come on Spike (if you even wrote that stinker yourself...what you probably did not do btw) i think you smoked that "Spike Lee Joint" thing and added some funny substances to that mix; long story short: I only care about on court gameplay...online is pretty much only for downloading realistic sliders and appropriate rosters. I have not played 2K since around 2012...
I love basketball...i play with my Team (not that goofie 2k stuff; with real human beings you now...oldschool: getting on the court to have fun and have a workout) i watch alot of NBA on LP...2K is my go to thing if the weather is bad or i don't have enough buddies to play the real thing...

And back then broke physics and animation drove me CRAZY...the new physics look really nice in the developer diaries...but everybody knows these are tightly controlled (not to say staged) environments...i think physics is the final frontier for sports video games...and sometimes (looking at you Fifa on ignite engine) newer games brake physics again after they were better in previous iterations (in FIFA a lot of times the ball clips through a players opposite ankle to morph into position for a shot...intolerable in 2015 imho). I watched this video on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXGdaaGcBVw credits go out to shakedown2012); and i dont want to play/pay for a game that has any of those things in it ever again. (EDIT: these real time impressions look promising: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJYiHHDLEu0 credit goes to regular dave)

So after (hopefully) reading this rant: Is 2k16 for me?
Best regards to those who bothered to read to this point ;-)

Last edited by miraiii; 12-13-2015 at 03:31 PM. Reason: I added a positive example of the games physics
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2015, 06:55 PM   #2
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: How realistic is NBA 2k16s gameplay overall?

Its not without its faults, but NBA2k16 is the best most realistic gameplay thats ever been made in a video game. Honestly anyone who says its not worth buying is probably some online whiner that wont ever be happy. I never put NBA2k on the same level with MLBTS, but this years game is right there with MLBTS, and in some cases better, which is something Ive never said until this year with this game.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 12-13-2015, 07:52 PM   #3
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

Ive had it for 2 and a half months and still look forward to getting home to play.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:11 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 19

great game play. its an awesome game.

but these are the minor issues that bother me. its mostly with stats.
rebounds,shot attempts, and assists run high. not enough of a variety of foul calls, the majority is shooting fouls. not enough of the other type of fouls.

and most teams run an up tempo offense. IMO, even average tempo is up tempo. s
Old 12-13-2015, 11:12 PM   #5
Rookie

NBA 2k16 is the most balanced iteration we have ever seen. It plays great and for the first time you can enjoy the game online/without touching sliders.

Even though i agree, pace is awfull. Teams tend to run with reckless abandon. But i would not draw a conclusion (patch 4 is around the corner). There's no speed variety (FGAs per game are high and the CPU never walks the ball up court except when controlling the Nets).

A fourth POE on both sides (transition defense/offense: run&gun, attack the basket, look for alley-oops, protect the paint, guard shooters...) would help.

Last edited by sirio994; 12-13-2015 at 11:15 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2015, 03:20 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 9

Its been more than 2 months and i play and practice every time i get time to play. It has a lot of basketball elements in than ever before!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2015, 03:52 AM   #7
Just started!

Right,the majority is shooting fouls. not enough of the other type of fouls.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:54 AM   #8
Rookie

Thank alot to all of you; have any of you watched the videos i posted? Is this dodgy stuff still in 2k16? If so its a deal breaker for me...basketball (especially contrasted against the aforementioned MLBTS) is a game of physical interactions between human beings...which is especially tricky to replicate in a game (i get that)...but i want to play this game with other sim heads...and yoyo balls and balls warping trough limbs has no place in a sports sim for me...i am a little concered since a couple of reviews explicitly mentioned clipping as an issue in NBA 2k16 (and the did not even mention in the last years...where clipping obviously was a huge problem)

On the pacing issues: Can't the be fixed with sliders?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »