Home

Right stick shot contest

This is a discussion on Right stick shot contest within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 12-13-2015, 08:41 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Right stick shot contest

Once Mike told that a shot contested by the user has more chance of being missed. He was refering to user-controlled on-ball defense.

Considering the same exact context and/or animation, is a right stick contest more efficient than an automatic one? Does the timing matter?

I feel this year's manual defense (assist strength 0 - box out assist strength 0 - shot contest manual) is far more rewarding than in the past
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2015, 09:30 AM   #2
Banned

Re: Right stick shot contest

I agree with the 0 defensive assist. Does manual make a huge difference as far as auto fouls this year. It's been killing me. Love manual though lot of upside and a lot of skill gap for it. If you know how to play basic defense you can lock up lebron with pj tucker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2015, 11:49 AM   #3
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

I was going to make a thread about this but I already have enough threads, lol

I just got put on to going manual on contests and it's awesome. It helps a LOT with auto-fouls which I've complained about at length this year. I think it's because the Y button is really responsive this year in comparison with last year so I hadn't tried it yet.

Maybe it's placebo- but I'm even getting a lot more deflections since switching.

I'd recommend it.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:42 PM   #4
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

Have to try this . On a similar note where do you guys out your rebounding assist slider at ?
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 12-13-2015, 01:44 PM   #5
Rookie

Last year i tried “manual” then i went back to “intense d” because of the poor responsiveness (in many cases the game didn't receive the input to trigger the shot contest animation. Now on manual you can contest every shot without problem). I think the improved responsiveness of the triangle button is a bit deceiving when on “intense d” or “always”. You think you’re performing a block and then end up paying (with a foul) the initial automatic contest (however it’s a step forward considering that last year we were literally stuck in those animations)

Last edited by sirio994; 12-13-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-13-2015, 02:06 PM   #6
Rookie

I set both assist sliders at 0 (0 - 0 - manual) and I play only on-ball. Last year I had it at 50 or 100 because I felt the AI was stripping the ball out of my hands too much when I set it at 0. Everything changed with this year’s new rebounding dynamics.
In my opinion assist sliders have to be related to our defensive style. If you play on ball every possession you want the maximum control (and you don’t need assist rebounding – if you’re contesting a shot with your body between the man and the basket you’re already in good position and don’t want the CPU to mess up)
Old 12-13-2015, 02:16 PM   #7
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirio994
Last year i tried “manual” then i went back to “intense d” because of the poor responsiveness (in many cases the game didn't receive the input to trigger the shot contest animation. Now on manual you can contest every shot without problem). I think the improved responsiveness of the triangle button is a bit deceiving when on “intense d” or “always”. You think you’re performing a block and then end up paying (with a foul) the initial automatic contest (however it’s a step forward considering that last year we were literally stuck in those animations)

The Czar touched on this last year or the year before...

When you have it on LT contest or always and hit Y during a sequence, it's cutting the original contest and inputting the new one so depending on the window your contest isn't as quality as you think...

So as best practice I would never input both at the same time.....
Old 12-13-2015, 02:52 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
The Czar touched on this last year or the year before...

When you have it on LT contest or always and hit Y during a sequence, it's cutting the original contest and inputting the new one so depending on the window your contest isn't as quality as you think...

So as best practice I would never input both at the same time.....

He talked about it before NBA2k16 came out. They've improved the responsiveness but that overwriting is still there (and probably will always be there).

And it's the main reason why i love manual contest. Always and intense D can kill you in the paint when you want to perform a block right out of the gate

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »