Home

The Riverwalk: Quest for Four (San Antonio Spurs)

This is a discussion on The Riverwalk: Quest for Four (San Antonio Spurs) within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 11-28-2015, 09:41 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
The Riverwalk: Quest for Four (San Antonio Spurs)

Hello, everyone! I just joined the site and thiught I ccould get some advice, comments or whatever about my Spurs dynasty. I already have a blog devoted to the team's story, but I could add the rest as it happens since people seem to make some cool narratives on here. I don't know if I'm allowed to link to my blog, but like I said, I might update here if I get interest. For what it is worth I also have 2 blogs about my two Celtics championship seasons.

Some background information: First b-ball game I played was NBA 2k2. I didn't play it much, and yes, I did become "an NBA Live fan," going on to play 2005-2010 (the latter of which I was very fond of and only recently retired), to finally experience 2k14 (which is uh-mazing) and I can only imagine how awesome 15 & 16 are.

My favorite team is the Lakers and I've been watching NBA since the Kobe/Shaq dynasty, and first I played a season with the Lakers on 2k14 (won the championship), but on NBA Live 10 my favorite experience was my 3 out of 4 championship seasons with Popovich's Spurs. With Live becoming too outdated, I wanted to bring my old team to 2K and it's been a lot of fun so far. I've added a couple players and really only have minor alterations to the actual team now after respecting some real life moves and wanting to shake things up.

So, would anyone be interested in my team's progress? I will probably keep on with this team, win or lose, because I've become fond of the Spurs. Somewhere in between I will probably play a 2nd season with the Lakers, with or without Kobe.

Taking my settings from Live, I play on PRO with simulation/9-min quarters. I will add a second posting to describe my roster and vision for the team, then add some questions that maybe someone can help me answer.

Last edited by kobe4thewinbang; 11-28-2015 at 09:45 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2015, 10:43 PM   #2
Rookie

Roster and Team Identity

These Spurs could be from a similar yet slightly different universe, retaining the same values as Popovich's actual team and believing that teamwork, passing, shooting and DEFENSE is key to success. Kawhi Leonard is shaping up to be the face of future San Antonio, with the old guard still in charge and rightfully so.

Stars:
Tim Duncan, Tony Parker

Starters:
Kawhi Leonard, Ray Allen, Tiago Splitter

Sixth Man: Manu Ginobili

Role Players:
Andrei Kirilenko, Danny Green, Boris Diaw, Tyrus Thomas, Shawn Marion

Bench Warmers/Prospects/Reserves:
Ray Mccallum/Austin Daye/Glen Davis

Depth Chart (Question One):
C/Splitter - Diaw - Davis
PF/Duncan - Marion - Thomas
SF/Leonard - AK47 - Daye
SG/Allen - Green
PG/Parker - Ginobili - Mccallum

Leading Scorers:
Leonard, Parker, Duncan

New Additions (not on past teams)
Allen, Splitter (got him back), Green (Got him back), Marion (chasing a ring, e.g. why Marion said he held off retiring a year earlier with Cavs), Mccallum (RL acquistion, decent prospect so far), Diaw (got him back).

Losses: Luis Scola (let go, w/Raptors), Kevin Garnett (let him "go home", i.e. like in RL)

Current Record: 45-8 (1st Place - All Star Weekend)
Home Record: Only 2 losses

Concerns I have:
Despite the criticism, I enjoy using the player morale/team chemistry feature. My team is at 80% chemistry, a dip lately, but I've been confused with ehat lineup to go with. I know that OVR rating affects player moodiness, but everybody is mostly okay. Marion is whining, but I just signed him and not many minutes for him, understandably so. Manu is off most nights, and has a good game every 5, so he can whine all he wants. Tony is usually balling and Allen has earned a starting spot over Green. Green however is playing well lately, and I'm giving him more action both at SG and SF, in case Kawhi gets hurt from playing too much. (I had Kobe get hurt against OKC in the playoffs, making a 7-game series, so rather avoid that!)

My main problem is a snowball effect if I don't pick the right lineup. Duncan is whining and since I have RL contracts, he says he won't resign. (uh-huh) I'm giving him 20-25 minutes a game (remember, games are 36mins on mine), so those are starter minutes. Any more and his fatigue bar starts flashing. He's also easily "sluggish" from these minutes, but delivering scoring-wise. So, I'd like to keep him happy. I know that you can trade players and trade them back to reboost morale but they get pissy quickly afterward.

The problem with Duncan starting at PF is Kirilenko wanting a starting role, which I tried for a while to decent success (with Duncan at C), but that upset Splitter and Diaw, ha. Obviously Kawhi starts at SF so AK47 is now backing him up per the original plan when I signed him. Rebounding is better with Duncan-Splitter/Duncan-Diaw and Duncan plays better wth this setup. But AK is "close to being upset." Now, I had him really upset earlier (he got mad because I dsn't play him while he had an injury, uh, lol) and he still played well on the court. So, should I even worry about it too much?

Last edited by kobe4thewinbang; 12-04-2015 at 11:53 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:40 AM   #3
Pro

Cruzerr's Arena

Re: The Riverwalk: Quest for Four (San Antonio Spurs)

I like the writeup, I think though AK has to go, since you play better with Duncan/Splitter or Diaw. How is his production?
Old 11-29-2015, 09:45 AM   #4
Rookie

nbalvaroverdun's Arena

I would play Manu at 2. Move Allen or Green to 3, or find a trade for a good sf. Diaw is so good at strech- 4, if you play pick and pop.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:03 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzerr
I like the writeup, I think though AK has to go, since you play better with Duncan/Splitter or Diaw. How is his production?
Thanks! The writing style I use when describing each game is as if it were a game recap, so not as story-like as some dynasties on here.

I appreciate the feedback. To answer your question, AK's averages are:

PPG: 9.5
RPG: 3.6
APG: 1.9
BPG: 1.0
SPG: 0.7
Minutes Per Game: 15.7 (with 9min quarters/36min games)

He has the 5th highest PPG on the team, having been backup SF and starting PF throughout the season so far. He's shooting .458% and .350% from 3. I don't recall 3s being in AK's actual repertoire and his outside shooting is a C-, but he is making a fair amount.

I have him back behind Kawhi at the moment. How do you feel about having two sixth-mans? I read that some people do that and after trying it out, AK is "content with his role but would like to see more minutes." I have his rotation minutes set at 23 (18 with 9min qtrs).

I don't think I need him to succeed since my team is pretty talented, but AK (under my control and CPU on court) has gotten some helpful blocks and steals leading to fast break points.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2015, 01:11 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbalvaroverdun
I would play Manu at 2. Move Allen or Green to 3, or find a trade for a good sf. Diaw is so good at strech- 4, if you play pick and pop.
Starting lineup or second unit? Diaw has been better lately--do you know if Spurs run Duncan at C or PF when Diaw is on the court?
Old 11-30-2015, 02:32 AM   #7
Rookie

Post Prologue

The Quest for Four

Winning Game 4 of the NBA Finals would earn the San Antonio Spurs, led by Tony Parker and Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili, a third championship through four consecutive seasons, as the battle-tested squad swept the resurgent Cleveland Cavaliers team that boasted a new 'big 3' led by its prodigal son LeBron James and Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love. Although all four games were fierce, they culminated into a victory that once again reminded the rest of the NBA why the San Antonio Spurs are here to stay, in spite of Father Time and the rise of competition in the wild western conference.

Before celebrating a 3rd title win against the Cavaliers, the Spurs first suffered bitter defeat against longtime rival Miami Heat, then led by LeBron James, whose team stunned the Spurs with a 4-1 championship rout, winning both games in Miami and then 2 out of 3 in San Antonio. This heartbreak would drive the Spurs to improve the roster and deliver payback against the Heat the next season, sweeping them in 4 games--but not before surviving a 7 game series against the Dallas Mavericks.

The following season, the Spurs claimed a second championship against the New York Knicks after besting the OKC Thunder for the western conference crown, and then again versus the aforementioned Cavaliers--but not before nearly succumbing to the young 'n tough Portland Trailblazers in a 7 game series during the second round of the playoffs. Despite new acquisition Rajon Rondo, the Mavericks were unable to give the Spurs as much trouble as two years prior, neighing in defeat after just 5 games.

A new season in the NBA always brings change, but a winning tradition and culture is not going anywhere anytime soon for the San Antonio Spurs, as they seek to reach the mountaintop once again. What new players will join the cause and be worthy enough to play under Coach Greg Popovich's tutelage? What teams will make a stand against the resilient champions this time?

Will the Spurs succeed in the quest of winning 4 championships in 5 seasons?
Old 11-30-2015, 09:07 AM   #8
Rookie

nbalvaroverdun's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobe4thewinbang
Starting lineup or second unit? Diaw has been better lately--do you know if Spurs run Duncan at C or PF when Diaw is on the court?
Dont think about what does the real Spurs do. I love Diaw in 2K. I have him on my Lakers team and heīs so good in the post (shooting or passing), and heīs a good 3pointer also. I would play Manu with the second unit allong with Diaw.

One play I do a lot with Diaw: I use him for the pick and pop, and when heīs open you can pass him the ball and shot, or pass him the ball and let him direct the play, ordering another pick or moving the ball to the C in the post. Thatīs how I run the ofense of my second unit, you could say that Diaw is my PG

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »