Home

Tried playing SIM. Gotta go back to cheese

This is a discussion on Tried playing SIM. Gotta go back to cheese within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-20-2015, 11:49 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0

After watching Czar, SamPham, 2K TV, tutorials, 2KU and practicing my offense I'm giving up on trying to play SIM.

I enjoy playing against others. Either MyTeam (currently 5th seed in RTTP) or Play Now Online (16-32 record). I love running plays, and freelance offenses. I study them and follow the court diagrams and I run them often.

Then I get matched with my opponent who has the exact opposite style of play. No picks, no plays, no sets, no rolls, no screens, etc. But this type of play style is often more successful than mine.

I slow down, they speed up. I work for open shots, they turbo to open lay ups/dunks. I shoot with feet planted, they shoot on the move. I pass 3 - 5 times, they alley-oop once. I walk it up, they baseball pass it up.

So I decided to change my play style. To not call plays, to not play sim, to run n gun. To my surprise I started winning or loosing by 1 or 2pts only. So in order to maintain my sanity and not break my TV and keep my marriage healthy and my kids from learning cuss words I shall cheese (whoa sorry...) - I shall change my play style going forward.

Who's with me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2015, 11:51 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Tried playing SIM. Gotta go back to cheese

Man this has gotta be a joke. If not STFU

Old 11-20-2015, 11:59 AM   #3
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorRican
After watching Czar, SamPham, 2K TV, tutorials, 2KU and practicing my offense I'm giving up on trying to play SIM.

I enjoy playing against others. Either MyTeam (currently 5th seed in RTTP) or Play Now Online (16-32 record). I love running plays, and freelance offenses. I study them and follow the court diagrams and I run them often.

Then I get matched with my opponent who has the exact opposite style of play. No picks, no plays, no sets, no rolls, no screens, etc. But this type of play style is often more successful than mine.

I slow down, they speed up. I work for open shots, they turbo to open lay ups/dunks. I shoot with feet planted, they shoot on the move. I pass 3 - 5 times, they alley-oop once. I walk it up, they baseball pass it up.

So I decided to change my play style. To not call plays, to not play sim, to run n gun. To my surprise I started winning or loosing by 1 or 2pts only. So in order to maintain my sanity and not break my TV and keep my marriage healthy and my kids from learning cuss words I shall cheese (whoa sorry...) - I shall change my play style going forward.

Who's with me?

I wouldn't say I wasn't with you. But I basically stop being nice. I've switched to the Hawks. And I'm finally stuck in college league. Just need to win 8 games to get to development league.

But I think you have to mix it up. There times to run a play. And then there are times to run. You just have to be perfect with the balance. Because what I've notice when your playing someone who runs and guns. They work way harder to get an open look. And they are running by the seat of the their pants. Whie someone who actually knows his weakness an strength of his team. Knows what his players are going to be. One the best things to do to someone who is running every possession. Is to slow the ball down and call plays. I've done it so many times.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:02 PM   #4
Rookie

But sometimes when I slow to call plays they will double team me as soon as I cross half court. Then my player will either throw the pass into the stands, bump the ball of a leg and turn it over or it will be a jump/held ball or a back court violation.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:35 PM   #5
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

Playing online, depending on your opponent you really do have to abandon your "sim" game plan sometimes. I definitely see where the OP is coming from with this

Then again, this is why I don't play online whatsoever anymore.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2015, 12:43 PM   #6
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorRican

Who's with me?

So what are you doing defensively? Your offense sounds fine to me.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:18 PM   #7
Rookie

Started playing off ball. Began to work on my stick skills. Moved to on ball defense. Switch to big man to defend pick and roll.

I was doing well with on ball D. Then patch 3 came out...

Old 11-20-2015, 02:44 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 3

Lol it's all about mixing it up. I'm surprised you haven't been grilled yet haha. Cheese is far superior. Sim ball is just code for capping/limiting yourself. Online you gotta do what works, that involves knowing your team and playing to its strengths. If you can turbo for buckets do it, but you'll also need to find open shooters eventually and knockdown some shots. 2K has a well documented habit of keepin games close unless your opponent is straight trash and hardly knows the controls. That momentum bs can give you a 15 point lead in the first quarter and later comeback to give you a 8 point deficit in the 3rd.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »