Home

Trading - At what point is it too much? Fun vs Realism

This is a discussion on Trading - At what point is it too much? Fun vs Realism within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 10-21-2015, 11:56 AM   #1
Rookie

Rumplebeanskin's Arena

OVR: 0
Trading - At what point is it too much? Fun vs Realism

Firstly, let me just say that I understand that how you play your game is your own business and everything is subjective. I get that and this isn't to judge, I'm just interested in the point of view of others who play MyGM, and potentially MyLeague as well.

I started a game with the Thunder, I plan to move them to Seattle (original, right?!). By the end of season 1, my team looks as follows:

PG Russell Westbrook
SG Louis Williams
SF Kevin Durant
PF Derek Favors
C Rudy Gobert

Brandon Bass
Mitch McGary
Steve Adams
Tyler Hansborough
Brian Roberts
Kent Bazemore
Hollis Thompson
Anthony Morrow
Bryce Cotton
Isaiah Canaan

As I'm sure you'll agree, that's a long way from their original roster in real life. I always like to play a "realistic" game, but then I find that before I know it, I've completely turned a roster on it's head. In this case, it was to try and strip as much salary out of the Thunder's bottom line whilst still keeping them competitive. Similar rated players for significantly less money.

So my question is how much trading do people do on their own games? Anything goes? Try to stay realistic? Any house rules to keep things within a limit? Do people think it taints a game when you can wheel and deal so easily? I guess the issue comes when you can see definitively through stats, attributes and potential that one player is better than another. Player A is better than player B, so make the trade.

I don't think there's any chance that the Thunder roster in real life could ever resemble even half of the list above by season's end and I'm not sure if I'm fine with that or not! I am enjoying trying to get their expenses down so I can move them cross country though and that challenge is fun for me.

Last edited by Rumplebeanskin; 10-21-2015 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Context
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2015, 11:59 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Trading - At what point is it too much? Fun vs Realism

I used to never really trade anyone, but with this year's SS/Sim setting, I had to trade a ton to be competitive. Draft takes a few years, and FA can be hit or miss.

I couldn't take another losing season so I blew up the team, traded almost everyone, and finally made the Playoffs.

In conclusion, SS/Sim is so tough, you have to do anything you can to compete, in my opinion.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2015, 12:10 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

I just try and be realistic personally. For example in my hornets franchise I was offered Gobert for Marvin Williams and a 2017 second rounder...and also Gobert and Favors for Williams and big Al...there is no chance IRL that Utah would do that...

I just play MyLeague and nullify any stupid trades and try and keep it real...if it makes sense for both teams, go for it
Old 10-21-2015, 12:40 PM   #4
MVP

Kully's Arena

OVR: 22

I try to keep a mix of realistic and fair trades. I try not to trade for guys that the team would keep in real life, no matter how much they would help me as I feel guilty that I'm hurting the AI too much. Thus, Beal stays with the Wizards, Harrison Barnes with the Warriors, etc. These guys are generally available in free agency so I take my shot there (while giving the CPU the option to match which they never do, so I match manually).

I try to overpay for any trades I make, so I tend to give up very valuable first round picks (like giving up a top 5 first for Tony Wroten). I also try to match the teams needs with whom I trade with: I don't need to give a team a good C if they already have 3 solid ones, I try to fill their holes as well.

I do have some ground rules too:

No matter how much I like Justise Winslow, I can't trade for any top 30 2015 picks. 2015 Second rounders are fair game.

Don't trade for players recently signed to long contracts (Alec Burks, Khris Middleton, Jimmy Butler, etc).

There are untouchable players for each team, players that I cannot trade for or sign no matter what (Andre Drummond)

No more than 3 new rotation players in a given year due to trades. I can trade for guys that will sit on the bench with no minutes though.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:45 PM   #5
Pro

Tsuki's Arena

OVR: 6

Trading such a tough topic to handle...

What is a bad trade? We all sort of know what one looks like but we tend to forget is that teams IRL make bad trades and your mygm/myleague should also contain a similar amount of bad trades for realism purposes.

IMO a safe trade and or a good trade are actually rare in a sense that both teams got "better" as a result of the trade more along the lines that both teams got what they "wanted." But, even that is rare trades are a negotiation and with any negotiation there will eventually be a winner and a loser.

To make sense of all of this I propose/approve trades with a story attached to it to make sense of the decision and let the outcomes decide the morality of the trade.

Here is a trade I did in 2k13

(Me)Thunder Russell Westbrook for Boston Celtics Rajon Rondo

-As the thunder KD was becoming worried that westbrook and him dont have the chemistry on the floor to win long term. While both great players the GM decides that having more of a floor general at the point will give KD the space to create more and have more chemistry.

-The celtics are desperate to get back on top and would love to have fresh start with a potential superstar in westbrook. While rondo has improved looking at him to be the primary scorer long term is just not in his talent wheelhouse.

^Looks like a dumb trade at first but give it context and things can either make sense or dont. I as the thunder went too meet the celtics in the finals that year and then the celtics improved in the offseason and won the finals the year after. I beat them in the 3rd year in 5 games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2015, 01:43 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

I usually play multiple mygm saves. Until sim world releases their rosters I just have an anything goes mygm just to see how the league develops. I also try to hoard draft picks, then draft for teams because they can't do it right. My current Trailblazers have Lillard, Victor olidipo, Batum, tobias Harris, and nerlans noel.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:19 PM   #7
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

I just try to look at it from the other team point of view. If I was then would I do it? If it's an easy no then I'm not touching it.

I just go for reasonable.

I take into account all aspects of the trade: age talent potential salary control salary relief what's their role...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 10-21-2015, 04:23 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

Air on the side of super realistic. Before I make a trade I check team stats/injury list to see what teams need then try to make realistic trades based around that. Occasionally I make head scratching trades just to simulate some trades that don't make sense in real life.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »