Home

The 2016 New York Knicks: Now that we're done tanking...

This is a discussion on The 2016 New York Knicks: Now that we're done tanking... within the NBA Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball > NBA Official Team Threads
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 10-05-2015, 09:53 AM   #1
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44
The 2016 New York Knicks: Now that we're done tanking...

First preseason game is Wednesday night so it's time for a new thread.

We're all back for another year of Knicks basketball! 2015 was one of the bleakest years in franchise history. We hit the reset button, tried to tank, then screwed it up the last week of the regular season and wound up out of the Top 3 come draft night. Perhaps it was a blessing in disguise, we'll have to wait a few years to determine that.

Phil had his first full off season and didn't make any huge signings in FA but it became clear that there's a theme, a blueprint and a method to what he's trying to do. He brought in...

Robin Lopez (4 yr, $54M)
Aaron Afflalo (2 yr, $16M with PO after one year)
Kyle O'Quinn (4 yr, $16M)
Kevin Seraphin (1 yr, $2.8)
Derrick Williams (2 yr, $8.8M)

Plus Sasha Vujacic was brought back from the dead at about $1M for 1 year.

Derrick Williams was the signing that raised eyebrows and doesn't seem to fit in with Phil's plan but he's allowed to take a flier here and there. The other four are solid players without huge egos, motivation problems or giant holes in their game.

Other new additions are our two first rounders, Kristaps Porzingis and Jerian Grant. Porzingis was a very controversial pick that most fans seemed to have already come around on while the Grant pick was universally approved especially since we swapped him straight up for Tim Hardaway Jr.

I won't bother listing the subtractions since it was essentially a list of D-Leaguers.

Projected 2016 Lineup

PG: Calderon/Grant
SG: Afflalo/Galloway/Sasha
SF: Melo/Early/Thanasis/Thomas
PF: Porzingis/O'Quinn/Admundson
C: Lopez/Seraphin

Not the greatest collection of talent but at this point we know it's about the distant future, regardless of if Melo or Phil want to admit that. It's already about Porzingis and Grant and hoping we can build around them over the next several years. We are 27th in salary right now plus the huge cap increase next year means we'll have all the money we need to throw at FA's.

As for this year though, it seems like it'll be another trip to the lottery.

Some story lines to keep an eye on:
  • The PG position. Calderon is old, a poor defender and was never healthy last year. Will he be our starter? Grant will need time to adjust to NBA ball and Galloway simply isn't a point guard IMO.
  • Porzingis - seems like he'll play about 20 MPG. Our highest draft pick since Ewing, naturally all eyes will be on him.
  • Melo's return from surgery, plus how much will he play the 4?
  • O'Quinn getting a shot a bigger role on a new team.
  • Who will be our #2? Afflalo is the the likely answer, which isn't good if you're aiming to make the playoffs.

What are all your thoughts going into the season? Other areas of the team you're keeping your eye?

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2015, 10:02 AM   #2
Hall of Fame

jb12780's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: The 2016 New York Knicks: Now that we're done tanking...

Blue paint looks awesome.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2015, 10:07 AM   #3
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

That was perhaps the most important off-season change, how could I leave that out!

(not kidding either )

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 10-05-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
MVP

Vast's Arena

OVR: 18

I think we can make the playoffs, but thats probably just the bias talking. We've gotten exponentially better than last year( I know thats not saying much), and when comparing this team to the 54 win team a few years back it's not that big of a difference.
I love the fact that Phil changed the culture. Worrying about if your #2 option is gonna go to a playoff game hungover is not something a fan should ever have to deal with.
Grant is the real deal. KTaps if he stays healthy brings shot blocking presence to the interior, and good potential offensively.
I like our Bigs this year. Rugged, tall, skilled hard working.
Sasha surprisingly looks real sharp in training camp he should make the rotation.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:13 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

I'm excited...

1. Blue Paint
2. We'll be better than last year, because it's impossible not to be.
3. We aren't loaded with low IQ players I will hate watching.
4. We have young guys with real potential to watch develop

So far we've taken an inbetween approach between trying to be good and rebuilding, this year will determine which direction we go in moving forward.

Either:
-The sum of this team is greater than its parts, Calderon and Afflalo have bounce back years, the young guys contribute, we're a playoff team that doesn't have the talent to do any real damage, but we're an attractive destination next summer for the best free agents to come in and move us to the next level.

-It's obvious we are still years away, most of the additions end up being washed up or just not good enough to make a difference, the rookies aren't ready, and we end up giving our lottery pick to someone else. Then we commit to a full rebuild and trade melo, when the market for him should be really good. Almost the whole league will have major cap space, with not enough players to spend it on. Using it to absorb Melo's deal versus maxing out someone who doesn't deserve it will be an attractive option.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2015, 11:18 AM   #6
Hall of Fame

jb12780's Arena

OVR: 23

If Melo were to get dealt, I think there's only 3 teams he waives his NTC for, and they are both LA teams and Miami.

Oh, and Calderon starting scares the living **** out of me.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2015, 03:51 PM   #7
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

-No way we make the playoffs
-The culture shift of the roster is refreshing although Seraphin worries me
-I've never liked Galloway
-I think Grant is better suited for a P&R offense
-Don't think Porzingis will be able to stay healthy. I still need him to be Dirk Gasol as the #4 pick. But I like him (warmed up to him).
-Like the O'Quinn signing. Not sure if it'll move the needle though.
-Williams will give me a headache eventually

My prediction: 32-50

No 1st rounder next year.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:24 PM   #8
Knicks/Jets/Yankees

ThatKidNamedTae's Arena

OVR: 1

I've literally been trying to estimate how often Porzingis will get the Bradley/Bol treatment and have the entire league try to posterize him

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
2/22/2015

Just wanted to mark this as the day the acquisition of Kendrick Perkins sparked a debate about stacking your team.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball > NBA Official Team Threads »