Home

EA NHL Information Packet (NHL 16-17)

This is a discussion on EA NHL Information Packet (NHL 16-17) within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-20-2015, 09:27 AM   #1
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2
EA NHL Information Packet (NHL 16-17)

Packet is now released, you can find it here.

What you can expect to find: a little more compact and unbiased than the first one, this packet dives deep into offline—gameplay issues such as goalies, physicality, player separation, and AI; modes like Be A GM and a potential Roster Share and Draft Class Editor.

Be sure to leave any questions, comments, and concerns.

—————————————————

I made one of these last year, but it was far too late to have any impact on the game. On the plus side, it gave me some good connections to the GameChangers, and by extension, the dev team itself. While some GCs do come on OS to read our ideas and feedback, I feel a more concentrated, formulated packet is the best way to get my ideas across. Here is the thread for the original.

That being said, this year's info packet goes out today. I've spent a lot of time testing the game and its gameplay in order to make sure I know what the problems are. Now I'm opening it up to my trusted OS brethren () to give me any last major problems and suggestions that you feel are warranted.

Once again, I'll post the finished packet when it goes up and is sent out. Thanks for the support last year and thanks for the suggestions now.

Last edited by AdamJones113; 09-21-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2015, 10:02 AM   #2
Rookie

azy19's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: EA NHL Information Packet (NHL 16-17)

Be a GM for teams outside of the NHL(euro leagues and CHL) is something I think would be great. Along side with being able to see the stats of the other leagues if you're in the NHL and being able to sign players that are doing well in euro leagues.

EDIT: Being able to start your Be A Pro career in euro leagues would be great aswell

Last edited by azy19; 09-20-2015 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Added Be A Pro suggestion
Old 09-20-2015, 10:06 AM   #3
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

Always looking forward to this. You do a great job with it. It's comprehensive to the point I have no real suggestions and also end up agreeing with several I hadn't thought of.

Perhaps number one for me though is the implementation of subtle contact animations/revamping the animation system in close proximity with other players.

We need jostling and jockeying.

And maybe a contextual approach to protect puck where, if you use protect puck when not skating or gliding it acts more like the protect ball in FIFA where your player just positions his body between the ball and defender. It should be balanced with some of those small defensive interactions where a defender can lean on you and go to work knocking you off the puck.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:11 AM   #4
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by azy19
Be a GM for teams outside of the NHL(euro leagues and CHL) is something I think would be great. Along side with being able to see the stats of the other leagues if you're in the NHL and being able to sign players that are doing well in euro leagues.

EDIT: Being able to start your Be A Pro career in euro leagues would be great aswell
I'd love to see this as well. As for your Be A Pro desire, I don't see that happening yet, because NHL's BAP system isn't heavily structured like NBA 2k's is. How you play defines where you get drafted, and I don't think EA has the time to work out how all the international leagues work and get that into the game. It's something that would be undeniably cool, but something I can't see happening quite yet.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
Always looking forward to this. You do a great job with it. It's comprehensive to the point I have no real suggestions and also end up agreeing with several I hadn't thought of.

Perhaps number one for me though is the implementation of subtle contact animations/revamping the animation system in close proximity with other players.

We need jostling and jockeying.

And maybe a contextual approach to protect puck where, if you use protect puck when not skating or gliding it acts more like the protect ball in FIFA where your player just positions his body between the ball and defender. It should be balanced with some of those small defensive interactions where a defender can lean on you and go to work knocking you off the puck.
Working on that part as we speak!
Old 09-20-2015, 10:54 AM   #5
Rookie

I've had the game for two days and run into the BaP issue where is switches you from classic to authentic and won't let you change it back. It's an offline mode so why should I be locked in to just one? If we want to switch then let us switch! It's bad enough this is bugged and essentially makes the mode unplayable, but if it wouldn't lock you in one mode or the other then it wouldn't be such a big deal. We could just change back if necessary.

Playing defense is a total pain. It's extremely hard to hold position on an opponent and trying to make subtle moves just ends up sliding you way out of position. Making small movements and adjustments really needs to be added. Right now stick lifting and poke checking are the only real defensive tools we have. Even body checking doesn't feel very solid anymore. One game I get tons of solid hits and the next I just glance off everyone or my player doesn't really seem to even try and make contact.

Add in a players HOF. I really don't know why all sports games haven't done this yet. It really gives you something to shoot for in a career mode.

To help get rid of some of the "sameness" of players, why not add some skill limits for the more advanced moves? Take deking for example. It's sometimes possible to pull of ridiculous moves with players who in real life would never be able to do such things. Just make it so a player must reach a certain level in a particular skill before they can do certain things. A spin-o-rama deke would require a minimum of 80 in the deke skill for example. Skating and agility skills could also be used to limit certain moves and turning radius at high speeds. Maybe even make dekes into a three tiered system so you need to have a skill of 70 to perform level 1 dekes, 80 to perform level 2, and 90+ to perform level 3 challenging dekes.
If you couple this with some improvements to the defensive skill set then I think we'd really start to see more difference between how players act on the ice and we could do more to stop the lower skilled players from easily weaving through the offensive zone at will.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2015, 11:15 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Coaches. Coaches. Coaches.

Commissioner/Owner mode.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:03 PM   #7
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

Still a fair bit to do. Expect another few hours, but I've already talked to a couple of GCs who have confirmed they'll pass it on as soon as I'm done.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:12 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Also

CPU v. CPU in BAGM

Create/edit a draft class

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »