Home

Any tips on usering the dline?

This is a discussion on Any tips on usering the dline? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-11-2015, 07:48 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 7
Any tips on usering the dline?

Anyone have any tips on usering one of the d-line? I have the right trigger and initial engagement, but from there I am just guessing. Do you spam the moves or is it a mini qbe where you have to just hit the button when it pops up on screen?

Also, is the choice between power and finesse a numbers game of trying to match your players strength versus the other guys weakness or is it a situational thing? Sometimes the particular button the game throws up kind of confuses me and makes wonder about the numbers game.

I know usering the dline over others is probably not the suggested way to go, but for several reasons it is what I think I will enjoy the most with switching in some plays at MLB and Safety.

Any shared experiences would be appreciated.

Last edited by Zalf; 09-11-2015 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Typo in title
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2015, 11:14 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Any tips on usering the dline?

You have to know what moves the Dlineman your controlling is best at. If your guy is a bull rusher and your trying to use finesse moves your not going to have much success. And you can see if your using the right move by noticing if the player circle is flashing red or green as engage the offensive lineman.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:47 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 0

I have found that rushing outside with the de works better as the guards seem to do a good nob of squeezing over if you try to go between them. Also make sure you engage before pressing a rush move. Last game i was off and kept diving with my player haha

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2015, 12:29 PM   #4
Pro

ajk49er's Arena

OVR: 2

I spent probably 15 years user controlling the SS position.

this year? I spent 10 games or so getting torched trying to cheat up/battle with all the options that control movement that I decided to make the move to the DL.

IMO it saved my defense. I was getting so frustrated, then realized how much pressure matters in M16. As a Chiefs fan, its a bit unfair to only have used Poe, so here is how I did user controlling Poe in a CFM(82 tackles, 22 TFL, 22 sacks). totally unrealistic? yes. but I then user controlled a season with Danny Shelton. 72 tackles, 17 TFL, 10.5 sacks(FAR more pass yards allowed, totally different experience)

that said, here is how I do it. line shifts are crucial to your success. if you think its a run, you can shoot the gap by timing your rush with the snap in between OL(I had 7-8 offside penalties last season) or do what I like to do, which is engage immediately, then the second the HB gets the ball and you guess direction, use one of your 2 line moves and use your stick to move him towards the direction the HB is running. you will seal off that section of the field

as for pass rush, I love to push the pocket, as a DT I can more problems just being in the backfield. but what is said above is true. your attributes are dictating a lot of your success. even stuff like forcing fumbles. I didn't force one, then I got the trait and forced one in my first attempt. The DL moves make you into one OP DL

if using a DE, its a lot easier as you often get a good edge rush. I have found timing is everything.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:26 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk49er
I have found timing is everything.
The timing is what I really have a question on. The move on first engagement I am getting a bit of a feel for. When we get tied up after first engagement then I still have questions. Does the pop up indicator mean hit the move then and only then or is it basically saying hey dumbie why aren't you hitting this button constantly. The red or green indicator seems to indicate you are supposed to use that move then and only then. If that's the case then if you don't get separation on engagement or first popup(is there anything that can cause a popup or is it just timing?) then you are pretty much out of any pass rush. Unless I am reading it wrong which would be nice.

Also, what about double teams? Even with JJ Watt I end up on my butt more often then I break cleaning from a double time. Any other thing to try here or just switch off to a DL that is in better position post engagement?

I know this is getting detailed on an area most people don't care about but this is how I will play defense for the life of the game so I don't want to spend months and then find out I have been doing it the hard way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2015, 05:17 PM   #6
Pro

ajk49er's Arena

OVR: 2

I totally understand.

so here is my take. if playing as a DT, you want to push through/around the double, simply moving it and limiting QB's ability to step up seems to give a boost to those in 1 on 1. but that is kind of obvious

when it comes to timing on runs its all about engaging immediately and IMO going with the finesse move. you time your move when the HB is about to get the ball. on a pass rush, I have found no correlation between what the game is telling you to use and what that particular defender is actually good at( example, I have 85 power moves, 65 finesse, the game IMO does not factor this in, or at least doesn't do it correctly) so I totally ignore the "advice" the game gives, much like with WR's where it often gives you the worst option one can go with in that situation

when it comes to a speed/edge rusher and a double team you have to either have the really high block shedding to break through it, if you don't, you are best to disengage and try another angle. this often again helps the rest of your DL, as the OL will react accordingly

for me, the timing came when I went into practice mode, and spent an hour going at the QB/stopping the run from random sets using different players with different skill sets. its definitely the first year where I actually notice a difference in player attributes, you just have to know what they can/can't do because IMO the game is not doing you any favors with displaying what it thinks you should press.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:32 PM   #7
Rookie

Shogun613's Arena

OVR: 1

In my many hours of practice mode, I have found that getting an effective pass rush is reliant on the user playing the gap as designed in the play call. Just bullrushing the gap in front of you isn't always going to be effective.

If you are usering a DT and the play art says you need to hit the B gap, work that gap. Even if you need to slide the line to cheat towards it, do it. If you attack the gaps as it was drawn up, it will put effective pressure where it needs to be and any blitzing linebackers or stunting ends will be free to fill the gap you vacated.

If you just do your own thing in the trenches, you'll create clogs in the scheme, and you most likely won't be able to make a play on a run until the back is already at the second level, or you wind up having yourself and a guy behind you getting blocked while the ball is thrown.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Shogun613; 09-13-2015 at 10:35 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »