Home

Pass Blocking/Rushing is Terrible in Madden16

This is a discussion on Pass Blocking/Rushing is Terrible in Madden16 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-11-2015, 05:16 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Pass Blocking/Rushing is Terrible in Madden16

This better be overhauled in Madden 17 or I will not buy the game until pass blocking and line play in general is overhauled. Why can't offensive linemen turn their hips, this is unacceptable for a sports game in 2015!!

https://youtu.be/7q5iteGgknM

Last edited by SportsGamer94; 09-11-2015 at 05:18 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2015, 05:29 PM   #2

m1ke_nyc's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Pass Blocking/Rushing is Terrible in Madden16

Improved line play was big selling points for both Madden 25 and Madden 15. Linemen were supposed to make 60x calculations per second. A pocket was supposed to form more consistently. They sold it as "war in the trenches" and "war in the trenches 2.0". There's definitely no war in the trenches more like a game of patty cake. Ball snaps they immediately engage then either the d linemen gets a win and gets off the block or they just stand there and patty cake. There's no struggle on the line. Disappointing.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:30 PM   #3
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

What's the awareness for those players at? It's worth noting as awareness plays a huge role for O Line.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:16 PM   #4
Banned

Its crazy how people just ignore stuff like this in Madden, if crap like this was in The Show or NBA 2K people would go crazy, but since its Madden and its been bad for so long, when they put out a decent game people ignore the issues. I dont have a Twitter account, somebody please send this to Clint.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:19 PM   #5
PMO
Banned

PMO's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGamer94
This better be overhauled in Madden 17 or I will not buy the game until pass blocking and line play in general is overhauled. Why can't offensive linemen turn their hips, this is unacceptable for a sports game in 2015!!

https://youtu.be/7q5iteGgknM

You made your account 2 months ago just to bash this game on here? Cmon guy, thats no help to anyone, this game is pretty awesome this year
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2015, 12:25 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMO
You made your account 2 months ago just to bash this game on here? Cmon guy, thats no help to anyone, this game is pretty awesome this year
Well said dude...there is a reason why this particular thread is 1 star. And even if it were 5 stars...the majority feel the opposite of the OP.

This goes to show, not everyone can be satisfied, in fact, some will never be satisfied with a video game.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:44 AM   #7
Rookie

GameBreaker35's Arena

At some point or another I was going to make a video on the importance of offensive and defensive line interactions concerning Madden; however, I'll go ahead and put some of my thoughts here.

The line interaction in Madden is probably the single biggest shortcoming in the game. The game of football is very complicated in respect to the simplicity of advancing a ball to an opponet's endzone, but even at the highest level of play, it really comes down to two things: blocking and tackling. Blocking appears to be an afterthought in the game developer's priorities though, and I think that this is due to it being an afterthought to most football fans. As long as five fat guys appear to stand in front of the defense's four to five guys, it is all gravy to most players.That is all Madden tries to accomplish; just get five guys in front of the quarterback. I can't particularly blame them either. Why carefully design an authentic system of blocking that the vast majority of the market wouldn't even appreciate?
Old 09-12-2015, 01:23 AM   #8
Hoos Rising

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameBreaker35
Blocking appears to be an afterthought in the game developer's priorities
This narrative doesn't hold water and it isn't true.

Between NCAA Football and Madden NFL (which adopted NCAA Football's tech as it was developed), the run blocking, pass blocking, and blocking targeting AI has been basically completely rebuilt. The new pass blocking AI in particular was a huge focal point of the Gen-4 build-up for Madden NFL 25. Heck, one of the most visible guys on Twitter for the series, core gameplay designer Clint Oldenberg, is a former NFL offensive lineman and since his arrival to the series getting the offensive line developer attention has been one of his primary focuses.

That's not to say blocking in Madden NFL 16 is perfect. I don't know enough of the nuances of blocking to know what's wrong; I'm sure the hardcore X's and O's football nuts of this forum could still pick apart some of the finer points of the current implementation, and the lack of true gap play and run fills by the defense is a glaring omission in the game's AI at this point.

However, I challenge you to go put in Madden NFL 12, compare the blocking across the board in that game to this current one, and tell me there's not a leap-and-bound difference between how the offensive line plays then and now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »