Home

Rookie pitchers with only 3 pitches?

This is a discussion on Rookie pitchers with only 3 pitches? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 09-09-2015, 10:54 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 9
Rookie pitchers with only 3 pitches?

I swear I read this thread somewhere, but after looking for awhile, I cant seem to locate it. So I apologize.

So I just got the game about a month ago and I am playing two teams. One National League team and one American League team. I did my first year incoming draft and choose a couple Pitchers for both teams.

Fast forward to three months into year two, and I moved my first round pitcher up to the majors. The biggest issue I am having is he only has three pitchers in his arsenal. I checked another rookie I drafted and the same thing. How does this work? Does he automatically get more? Can I Edit it?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2015, 04:03 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Rookie pitchers with only 3 pitches?

He won't get any more pitches so you will have to add them manually.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:22 PM   #3
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Yeah, something sorely needed is the ability to train pitchers to learn new pitches.

Any rookies above 70 I add a 4th pitch and base it on their current pitches. I rate it 5 pts lower than their weakest pitch. If they are above 80 I add a 5th pitch, and do the same thing. This is for "A" potential pitchers and I cut the age off at 25. For "B" potential pitchers I follow the same ratings, but their additional pitches are rated 10 points lower than their weakest pitch.

Tends to work out well.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 09-09-2015, 09:24 PM   #4
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Yeah, something sorely needed is the ability to train pitchers to learn new pitches.

Any rookies above 70 I add a 4th pitch and base it on their current pitches. I rate it 5 pts lower than their weakest pitch. If they are above 80 I add a 5th pitch, and do the same thing. This is for "A" potential pitchers and I cut the age off at 25. For "B" potential pitchers I follow the same ratings, but their additional pitches are rated 10 points lower than their weakest pitch.

Tends to work out well.
I'll add a 4th pitch if they have stats that favour the SP position (H/9, BB/9, Stamina). I also would consider a 3 pitch SP if those three pitches are 4SFB, CH, Slider (or curveball, slurve, slider is preferable) since that is enough to form a legitimate pitch strategy over multiple innings (and therefore wouldn't get as much pressure to learn new pitches from coaches/teammates). I have a few guys in my farm team however that even though they are listed as SP, I figure they'll only ever be a reliever based on pitch set and stats. Lots of potential starters end up as relievers in real life due to the fact that they can't expand their repertoire.

I have, however, put a 5th pitch on a 4 pitch pitcher if I feel it is needed to balance out their repertoire. I put the pitch velocity near a similar pitch in the pitchers existing repertoire put put control and movement 5 points below the pitcher's worst pitch.

I'm just saying these things as a different opinion on how to handle it for the OP's sake. Really at the end of the day it's up to the individual player to decide how to handle adding pitches (if they decide to do it at all).
Old 09-10-2015, 01:31 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

A lot of pitchers just throw two or three pitches. Clayton Kershaw rarely throws his 4th pitch, a change up. He might throw it once a game, if at all. Chris Sale throws a fastball, change up, and slider. Typically pitchers only have one fastball, but fx graphs pick up movement, so if it breaks too much their typical fastball might be deemed a two-seemer. It's nothing they can really control.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2015, 01:33 PM   #6
MVP

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it very much. When I get home I plan to implement this system for my rookie pitchers, but I first will see how they pitch too. I will do these steps for the 4rth pitch, based on the potential. Like the previous poster says, just kinda have to judge it on a case by case basis. So again, I appreciate it, I now know how to proceed from here.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:52 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
So much this. I'd even take a significant risk in negative development/losing points/performance risks elsewhere.

I'd also like the ability to try to drop pitches. Perhaps with the same drawbacks until it succeeds.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:43 AM   #8
MVP

Quote:

Tends to work out well.

IM having issues in my franchise adding a pitch to a rookie, when I do roster, select rookie, and then edit, and the section where there his other pitches, I don't see how to add anymore pitches?

Could someone please tell me how to add a pitch to someone? Thanks

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »