Home

The Marketing For This Game Is Terrible

This is a discussion on The Marketing For This Game Is Terrible within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 09-07-2015, 10:43 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
The Marketing For This Game Is Terrible

We're almost a week a way to release and all I keep seeing is
info on other games coming out in a month or 2 months etc.

I browse here to catch up on info and nothing also nothing much on
Twitter. This game deserves way better marketing then it gets. The
developers don't do a good job of getting you excited for this game
like other games do.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2015, 10:50 PM   #2
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: The Marketing For This Game Is Terrible

I have to disagree with this. We've seen a number of sizzle trailers commensurate with that of other games, and what's more, EA Sports flew a number of YouTubers to Vancouver and allowed them to stream NHL 16 a week before it is released on EA Access.

While we haven't gotten in-depth developer blogs (alas) like 2k has on this very forum, that doesn't fall under the marketing that appeals to casual fans. They've seen the Toews cover and a trailer or two at most; they're not perusing this forum as we are.

Even in this forum, a sizeable number of threads are red, aka "news" threads. That's a good amount of news, and, while it may not get me as excited as I do when reading the 2k blog posts, it's still marketing. The hardcore are in the minority.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:06 PM   #3
Rookie

this is probably the most online marketing they've done

using their fans to spread the message online with social media outlets.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:28 PM   #4
Pro

stevostl's Arena

OVR: 0

what do they need marketing for when they released a beta for the most popular reason to even buy this game this year on PS4 and Xbone... the EASHL?

that's all I needed to buy this game..

anything else is just overkill..
Old 09-08-2015, 09:20 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevostl
what do they need marketing for when they released a beta for the most popular reason to even buy this game this year on PS4 and Xbone... the EASHL?

that's all I needed to buy this game..

anything else is just overkill..
Even though online is hugely important to EA, lots of players still don't really care about EASHL or Ultimate Team.

Anything they did do to enhance the offline game needs to be well promoted for those customers money. This year it seems to be arena atmosphere and a streamlining of the BeAGM experience.

Edit Player is back of course but that wasn't shouted from the rooftops due to it being somewhat nonsensical to have 16 looking like it was going to omit this fundamental feature again.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2015, 09:24 AM   #6
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

If NHL 16 is somewhat successful critically I'm sure they'll get back to the usual marketing push with "Winner of X number of sports game of the year awards" next year.

I feel like the marketing approach to the game has been one of a but of openness and asking users what they want to know about rather than trying to sell them something like they did last year. Probably a good idea to take a year off from the aggressive sell and rebuild some good will with the customer base.

Here in Canada you can bet you will see the ad for the game during sports broadcasts non-stop up until March though.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:02 PM   #7
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

One other thing I thought of.

It's clear that EA doesn't care (interpret that word as you wish) about the NHL series as they do about Madden/FIFA. NHL isn't getting a HUT Draft, an incredibly enjoyable mode which both FIFA and Madden have. I'd expect that to be the major addition next year—not necessarily a bad thing, but it means other things will get short shrift.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:28 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

I disagree, I think they did good this year, not great but good.

We had EA Answers, say what you will, they did sound made-up or whatever, but they did answer a few questions we had.

In the last month, they usually posted every day, may it be small features, deep dives or whatever, again it wasn't a lot, but we got to stay updated about the game more than any past games.

They gave us more information about the game more than any past game also, and I think this is great, I mean I was able to watch more gameplay, to see streamers try BAP, simming, GM mode than any year before and I can safely say this year I'm confident that the game will be worth my money for once. EA Access will confirm tommorow, but so far, so good.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »