Home

Is fielding bad in this game?

This is a discussion on Is fielding bad in this game? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-17-2015, 01:50 AM   #1
Rookie

half-fast's Arena

OVR: 1
Is fielding bad in this game?

How many people automatic field out of frustration? I dont know a crap-ton about baseball anymore, and am definitely not great at this game(actually on the poor side), but I have to say the number of games Ive given up due to fielding, or perhaps lack of understanding in the fielding mechanisms is frustrating to say the least.

Too many games Ive had a fielder drop a fly ball because I cant position him properly, but instead of slightly strafing or walking around, he darts quickly left and right. I've also had this problem where occasionally my outfielder will catch a ball off the wall, and with the throw charged, will sit there for a couple seconds before throwing the ball ... frustrating! This can also happen in field while trying a double play. The throw-charge circle is red but he stands there. Am I doing something wrong?! lol.

All in all, this game is amazing imo. Nowhere near some of the EA garbage in terms of keeping the game level by giving the human or AI a huge advantage. Most game results seem legit, and maybe the odd time I'll have a game that seems too fixed, but for the most part, this fielding thing is the only thing hurting this game for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2015, 08:56 AM   #2
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Is fielding bad in this game?

I absolutely love the fielding this year.

In regards to double plays, are you pre-loading throws? Are you accidentally tapping the button twice which would cancel or re-load the throw?

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 07-17-2015, 09:08 AM   #3
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

While I do have some issues with the game this year, the fielding is not one of them. I love that you actually have to use fielding adjustments this year. The fielding window is smaller so you don't get locked in to an animation as early. It took a lot of getting used to and I still goof up once in awhile but it is so much better this year.

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:28 AM   #4
MVP

zippy2212's Arena

OVR: 8

I have a love hate relationship with fielding this year. I love the new timing dynamic of it where you can actually throw runners out from deep in the hole at short. But I'm not sold on the smaller window with the outfielders.

My outfielders, Michael Saunders, Fowler and Soler have 10, 10 and 17 errors. 95% of them my fielder is right next to where the ball is going to land and then the spinning/lost animation kicks in and the ball lands right next to my outfielder. In 35+ years of watching baseball I can probably count on 1 hand how many times I've seen this happen in real life.

I have no problems with my player just missing a ball or dropping one for an error but if a player lines up and the ball moves a foot to the right 99% of the time they make the catch. Heck I'd be ok even if they just dropped it from time to time but I really dislike it when this animation kicks in.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:58 AM   #5
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

I keep seeing people mention that their fielder is right underneath the ball and then all the sudden it moves, but I have not seen this once on a routine fly ball. I've had players drop the ball on occasion but never because the ball moved at the last second away from where they are standing.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2015, 11:36 AM   #6
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I keep seeing people mention that their fielder is right underneath the ball and then all the sudden it moves, but I have not seen this once on a routine fly ball. I've had players drop the ball on occasion but never because the ball moved at the last second away from where they are standing.
I don't see it offline but online it happens a lot. The ball icon will actually push the fielder away from the ball like the icon itself has some type of collision detection. You have to compensate for it otherwise you miss a lot of fly balls.

Last edited by nemesis04; 07-17-2015 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:46 PM   #7
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
I don't see it offline but online it happens a lot. The ball icon will actually push the fielder away from the ball like the icon itself like it has some type of collision detection. You have to compensate for it otherwise you miss a lot of fly balls.
that could be why i haven't seen it.

Old 07-18-2015, 01:04 PM   #8
Husker Power

Spooky's Arena

OVR: 8

I do have problems with fly balls in the outfield often. If you slightly move your thumb wrong before they've entered the catch animation, it completely jerks him out of position and screws you unless you can recover on time. Not a big deal on hard fly balls, but the line drive type hits are insta-misses.

Infield fielding I believe the physics is also slightly nerfed. The "process of the throw" physics are completely underestimating the type of movements pro athletes can make. On a slow grounder to the pitcher, he doesn't need to slowly bend over, stand back up, set his feet and get into position when Billy Hamilton is burning down the basepaths. His movements would be much quicker and less "textbook".

The infield stuff doesn't rear its ugly head as much as the OF stuff, though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »