Home

I really hope commentary does not go untouched once again..

This is a discussion on I really hope commentary does not go untouched once again.. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-04-2015, 01:36 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
I really hope commentary does not go untouched once again..

Seriously. The more I watch games the more I get mad at the fact the commentary has been so stale for the past few years. There just is no connection between the game you are playing and what might be going on around the league. Neither are there ever any previous big performances/milestones being brought up when a player gets them. For example lets say I am a rookie player (RTTS) and I become the last player since 1956 or w.e to hit 2 triples in a game while driving in 7 RBI's how come there is no reference no old records brought up or anything. My suggestion is for SCEA guys to seriously sit down and watch a game broadcast so you can see how many times commentators bring up what's going on around the league and always bring up NUMBERS. Baseball is all NUMBERS. It's what commentators are always referring back to during games. Old performances, how long it's been since a player has done such feat, how rare a record might be that's been broken (I've broken the stolen base record in RTTS various times and commentators do not hype it up at ALL. Its a HUGE record to break if you ask me that should get more enthusiasm from the commentators)
All I want to see if just MORE numbers being referred to in game by the commentators as they do in real life. Another example is if let's say Adrian Beltre hits 2 home runs in a game. In real life the commentators would for sure mention the last date that Beltre has done that or how many times he has had multi hit homer games in his career etc. Numbers and dates need to be used way more! There also needs to be more excitement brought on by the commentating crew.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2015, 02:20 AM   #2
Pro

Herschie's Arena

Re: I really hope commentary does not go untouched once again..

I wholeheartedly agree. This is something that the MLB 2K series excelled at. I can't really complain about repetitiveness, as I feel that they do talk about enough, and over the course of 162 games, you're going to be hearing stuff you've heard before. But I definitely would like to see a change for next year.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:28 AM   #3
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

While I do agree that the commentary needs a touch up, I think you're asking a little too much. You realize that is several lines of code for each unique and specific situation. There is both a time and a memory cost to putting those changes into effect, which means other issues that the community sees might be ignored in order to change this. Also, as long as the ps3 is a factor, adding something new may mean taking something away, and I'm not sure I'm ok with that. You can blame Sony or SSD all you want for the fact that a ps3 (and vita) version still exists but the reality of it is that the ps3 version isn't going to go away as long as people keep buying it, so in reality it is the consumer who keeps the ps3 version around.

I'm not trying to invalidate your point. I would love to see the changes you mentioned implemented into the game. However there is a laundry list of tweaks that are needed much more than this and the development staff have very limited time and resources in order to make those changes for MLB 16. It is our job as a community to voice what we think those changes should be. I'd just be happy if the commentary didn't question why I didn't swing at a perfect pitch right on the corner and emphasize how that pitch was "right. down. the middle." But I still feel there are other issues more important than that.

TL;DR: Good point, but we have bigger issues.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:37 AM   #4
Rookie

I honestly don't care about the process that goes into changing this..just want it changed. What other issues are bigger then something you hear every single time you play the game?
Old 07-04-2015, 02:57 AM   #5
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSilver355
I honestly don't care about the process that goes into changing this..just want it changed. What other issues are bigger then something you hear every single time you play the game?
I may be the exception here, but a few bad, offbeat or repetitive comments aren't the most immersion breaking things to me in the game (it happens in real life sometimes). Sure hearing the exact same thing you've heard before 100 times might be a little jarring, but expecting to hear unique commentary throughout 162 games is INSANE.

Meanwhile, as a Jays fan, it's incredibly immersion breaking to NEVER see the dome close, regardless of weather. That's just my personal pet peave.

There is also:
- Lackluster effort from fielders during clutch situations.
- Modern day uniforms not being included in the game.
- Maximum of 5 pitches per pitcher.
- Completely arbitrary and nonsensical progression/regression system in Franchise
- Too many balls hitting the pitcher and the fact that the pitchers are terminators and just take it like it's no big deal.
- Players are locked into a position and a user has to do what literally amounts to cheating in order to change a players preferred position, or teach them a new one.

There are more, and I don't really want to rag on the developers to much because they do make a fantastic sports game, I just hope you see my point. I can live with the commentary. The great thing about it is, if you think it is crappy you can turn it off. The same is not true of any of the things listed above. Again I wouldn't mind an improvement, I just think there are more important things to deal with.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2015, 05:07 AM   #6
MVP

Syce's Arena

it would be really sweet if they could get every teams commentators so like if you're the jays for example then buck martinez is the voice of the games. etc, etc.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:09 AM   #7
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
I may be the exception here, but a few bad, offbeat or repetitive comments aren't the most immersion breaking things to me in the game (it happens in real life sometimes). Sure hearing the exact same thing you've heard before 100 times might be a little jarring, but expecting to hear unique commentary throughout 162 games is INSANE.

Meanwhile, as a Jays fan, it's incredibly immersion breaking to NEVER see the dome close, regardless of weather. That's just my personal pet peave.

There is also:
- Lackluster effort from fielders during clutch situations.
- Modern day uniforms not being included in the game.
- Maximum of 5 pitches per pitcher.
- Completely arbitrary and nonsensical progression/regression system in Franchise
- Too many balls hitting the pitcher and the fact that the pitchers are terminators and just take it like it's no big deal.
- Players are locked into a position and a user has to do what literally amounts to cheating in order to change a players preferred position, or teach them a new one.

There are more, and I don't really want to rag on the developers to much because they do make a fantastic sports game, I just hope you see my point. I can live with the commentary. The great thing about it is, if you think it is crappy you can turn it off. The same is not true of any of the things listed above. Again I wouldn't mind an improvement, I just think there are more important things to deal with.
If they fixed you're suggestions man....it would be amazing. Great list

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 07-04-2015, 07:01 AM   #8
Rookie

Ya they have not yet given attention towards the commentary..we get bored to listen the same things every time we play the game..

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »