Home

WR/DB interaction and Game play...

This is a discussion on WR/DB interaction and Game play... within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-20-2015, 04:40 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
WR/DB interaction and Game play...

Something about this game still doesn't play or animate right??! It still moves too robotic and lifeless imo?! Why the lack of pressure from the dline still??! They still cant figure how to balance that yet? There are still issues that plague the game, like multiple players on defense after a tackle doing the same animation at the same time??! Why??

While there is some improvements on WR/CB interaction, a lot still needs work.. like man on man?? Almost every video I watched I didnt see man on man coverage? I saw maybe one where the WR blew padt the CB like it eas a broken play?? It looks like they focused on interaction when the ball is in the air?? What about on press coverage before the play happens and after like on a slant or go route??! Anyone who has played 2K football knows what I'm talking about.. They focused mainly on trying to fix Wr/DB animations and didn't put much effort on everything else? It's just mind boggling how a games 10+ years ago still animates and plays better even without new technology??! I just don't get... How much longer will it take for them to finally catch up?? smdh..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2015, 07:06 AM   #2
Rookie

eastcoast49ers's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: WR/DB interaction and Game play...

They can't fix every single problem in one developement cycle. They did a lot this year to improve the game and with Rex at the helm the future looks bright.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:26 AM   #3
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Sliders might cure your 1st issue with dline pressure. Last year, there was too much dline pressure.

Based on the information listed below, I'd say they brought more to the table than just wr/db interractions, wouldn't you agree?

NEW HANDOFF SYSTEM

Air Supremacy starts with the quarterback. We started from the snap, with an all-new handoff system that includes a large variety of new content and much tighter timing between handoff and blocking.

Each play type has a uniquely captured handoff specifically designed for the given play, resulting in hundreds of animations. This system also includes all new fake handoffs for the Play Action game, which ties in perfectly for the shot plays. More on those later.

QUARTERBACK LOCOMOTION

The team completely re-worked QB pocket, scramble and rollout locomotion. Simply tap the RT/R2 button in the QB’s drop back, or when standing in the pocket. This allows players to “roll to pass,” and includes a completely reworked back shoulder roll out. These new mechanics work brilliantly with our boot and roll out plays.

One of the big benefits of roll out is that players don’t suffer the same accuracy penalties as “throw on the run.” The team also re-worked scramble (Hold RT/R2) to be more responsive, and allows players to toggle between pocket, rollout or scramble loco at the touch of a button. You can also branch out of any drop back instantly by tapping the LT button after the snap.

Finally, we made it a priority to ensure that all the new QB loco mechanics are utilized by the CPU AI. Expect QB’s like Marcus Mariota and Cam Newton to offer a substantial threat on the ground this year.

QUARTERBACK AI

For many players, the most requested change for Madden NFL 16 was an overhaul to the CPU QB AI. We spent several years developing a new AI architecture called “Behavior Coordinator,” which allows us to create a more granular set of behaviors to a given situation.

This not only helps deliver the most challenging CPU QB’s to date, but also creates a clear distinction between different types of QB’s. The game you get from Tom Brady (pocket passer) is dramatically different than the behavior you will see from dual threats like Mariota or Newton. Each style of QB will now react to situations differently, based on their traits.

This new QB AI also represents improvements to Robo QB, Dink-and-Dunk offense, pressure awareness, play calling and situational game management.

PASSING MECHANICS

One of the big additions in Madden NFL 16 is the “body relative” throw, which allows players to throw a high jump ball (like on a fade or streak route) or a low throw where only the receiver can make a play on the ball.

We have also re-worked the new touch pass (now double tap receiver icon) for easier execution of dropping the ball behind linebackers and in front of safeties.

CATCHING MECHANIC

The most revolutionary addition this year is the new catching system. Previously, players had just one option (Y/Triangle button) to catch the ball. In Madden NFL 16, there are three different catches types to choose from.

The mechanics work by HOLDING the catch button as soon as the QB makes the pass. You no longer need to hit B, as catch control is now automatic on the intended receiver. However, it’s still possible to have more control by clicking on with B and steering the receiver with the left stick.

ADDITIONAL WR/DB INTERACTIONS

The team also added hundreds of new receiver/defender interaction animations, including new press interactions, zone chuck interactions and hand fighting during route running.

This includes a complete overhaul to our defensive pre-play alignment system, as defenders now align to the inside or outside of the receiver based on the coverage and where they want to force them.

ADDITIONAL OFFENSIVE IMPROVEMENTS

The passing game isn’t the only thing that got love. We added two mechanics to help move through the line as a ball carrier. The first is “get skinny” (hold RB) when running through the line, as well as context sensitive ‘cut step’ juke (LS left/right) performed behind the LOS to cut off blocks.

Ball Carrier AI has been completely overhauled with new “hit the hole logic,” resulting in a real and tangible running game from the CPU. Ball carrier locomotion and True Step have also been revisited to ensure responsive controls that are still grounded in the realm of authenticity.

Contextual Awareness has been revisited with several new animations and much tighter registration with other players

New extra point rules are in! After scoring a TD, players can kick the PAT from the 15-yard line, or attempt the two-point conversion from the 2. The new rules also allow the defense to score two points on returns. Penalties are fully supported on these plays, so teams can change their decision if a penalty occurs.

PENALTIES

Our hardcore simulation fans have been demanding realistic penalties for years. The team finally made this a point of emphasis in Madden NFL 16, and penalties will play a bigger factor than ever before.

In addition to several new penalties being added, we have updated all pre-existing penalties and built a system to control penalty frequency.
Every player is assigned a Penalty trait based on real-world NFL data, which determines how likely they are to commit a penalty; an undisciplined player has a far greater chance of committing a penalty than a disciplined player.

Players’ in-game strategy has an impact on penalties as well. For example, pressing cornerbacks are more likely to commit a defensive holding penalty, while goalline and max protect calls make offensive holding penalties more likely. Mistiming the “Off the Line” mechanic can easily draw a neutral zone infraction or encroachment penalty.

Finally, all penalty sliders have been updated to allow players to fully customize the experience to their liking. The Default slider setting is based on NFL penalty averages over the last five seasons to make both penalty type and frequency as authentic as possible.

The list of new and updated penalties includes:

Encroachment, False Start, Offensive Holding, Facemask, Defensive Pass Interference, Illegal Block in the Back, Neutral Zone Infraction, Defensive Holding, Illegal Forward Pass, Illegal Touching, Delay of Game, Kick Catch Interference Running into the Kicker, Unnecessary Roughness and Roughing the Passer.

PROCEDURAL AWARENESS HEAD TRACKING

As the Madden NFL franchise moves forward with its “Player Sense” theme, one of the biggest detractors was a lack of true head tracking for all players across all situations.

Madden NFL 16 includes added logic for QBs, RBs, WRs and defenders so that each head and eye track (the ball and players around them) uniquely based on their position.

Quarterbacks will scan the field for open receivers, ball carriers will alternate their gaze between incoming defenders, and players will track other players around them after the play. You may even see players looking up at the scoreboard on a breakaway run.

PRE, POST, AND DURING PLAY MOTION QUALITY

The quality of player motion has been a primary point of emphasis for the Madden NFL team for several years now. This year, we made huge strides in pre, post and during play motion quality. This touches several major systems like huddle break, walk to line, pile get up logic, pile avoidance, post play path finding and more. When it comes to in-game animation quality improvements, the list is endless.

Players can expect a dramatic reduction in pops, warps, slides, and other issues in Madden NFL 16. This will continue to be a focal point for us as we strive towards our goal of animation quality.

PLAY BALL (BALL HAWK)

Play Ball (Ball Hawk) is back and has been heavily revised to ensure the most aggressive path possible to the ball. As with past years, the user plays the ball by holding the Y/Triangle button as soon as the pass is released.

Play Ball is the best way to challenge the receiver for the catch, but comes at the risk of triggering a catch animation behind the receiver and giving up a big play.

PLAY RECEIVER (NEW)

New this year is the Play Receiver DB mechanic. Hold the A/X button once the pass is thrown to play the receiver. This drives you towards the receiver as opposed to driving you to a catch point.

ORGANIC GANG TACKLES

Forget everything you remember about Pro-Tak. Madden NFL 16 delivers the most dramatic tackles in franchise history with a fully organic, physics-based gang tackling system. We now have fully realized momentum-based organic interactions on tackles that support a limitless number of defenders attaching to the ball carrier.

The system is complemented by new dynamic gang tackle animations that can “go organic” based on additional defenders in proximity.

We also worked on the stat-tracking side – Assisted Tackles and Half-sacks are now being tracked appropriately in the stats screen. It all adds up to the most authentic tackles ever seen in Madden NFL. Gang tackling is back!

OTHER TACKLING IMPROVEMENTS

While most players raved about the changes to tackling in Madden NFL 15, some users complained about feeling too much “suction” in the conservative tackle system. The team took this feedback to heart and tuned both the tackle cone and match distance to eliminate warping (or suction) from the tackling system without sacrificing control or responsiveness.

Aggressive tackles were also improved so that defenders always dive towards the ball carrier instead of just at his facing direction.

QUICK ADJUSTMENTS

Defensive quick adjustments give users the ability to adjust any of their defenders on the field without having to manually switch to the defender. Simply select the group (DL, LB, DB), choose individual adjustment, select the defender and set the assignment.

This addresses a long-standing legacy issue that put the defense at a disadvantage when it came to pre-play adjustments.

ADDITIONAL IMPROVEMENTS

Madden NFL 16 also includes a few key defensive improvements demanded by the community. A few of the highlights include:

QB Spy logic has been updated to be more effective at stopping rushing QB’s
Contain Defenses and logic have been improved to help counter the new rollout and scramble mechanics
New mechanic where users can now make their defenders in spy assignment abandon the spy and chase the QB at any point in the play. This is done by clicking in R3 once he ball has been snapped.
Resolved an issue where users would not have time to audible to onside kick recovery when their opponents caught them in normal return vs. onside kick.
The offense can no longer use no huddle to consistently cause AI defenders to be called offsides.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:50 AM   #4
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

It is consistent how certain types of people have vision/reading issues.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 06-20-2015, 09:01 AM   #5
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21

If they put this much effort into Madden every year, this game would be unbelievable right now. If they do this again next year and put this much into CFM, the game will pretty much be a 90+ title, like Rex is wanting. To me it's around a 80-85 quality currently, but M15 was a 70-75 IMO. Like I said prior to E3, this is the first gen 4 Madden to get a full dev cycle and it really shows.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2015, 04:20 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Why is every sentence a question?

So I guess my answer to the OP is no.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:29 PM   #7
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Roadman (didn't want to quote the whole post)

You are right that last year year there was too much pressure, however I worry they may have nerfed it a little too much. Obviously this is just based on the videos, so I don't know anything for sure, just speculating.

The problem (in 15) was mostly dominant DTs shedding the block immediately and just having 2 or 3 steps before he was at the QB. I think they could have kept the d-line stuff exactly the same but just given the offense more tools (better FB/HB blocking, assigning double teams etc), or just tune the likelihood of a successful block shed slightly. To me looks like they have made d-line just blocking dummies in most of these vids.

ALBEIT, a lot of vids are on PRO, so I am not trying to overreact, and I am not even disagreeing with you just continuing the conversation. Hopefully they made o-line more aware and competent, especially the interior, while also still allowing truly explosive d-line/pass rushers room to excel

As for the WR/DB stuff, I think for no switch guys it looks great, for guys who like the user input it seems like there is some arcadey aspects to what I have seen, but again, hard to know for sure. My main question is if I wanna control my WR whats really stopping me from going aggressive each and every time? Seems like a super high reward for somewhat low risk? However a lot of guys from E3 said it felt fine, while a few said it felt OP, so who knows?

To the OP, and to agree with Roadmans post, a lot of things have been added this year, some more obvious than others. The game CLEARLY looks improved to me on many many fronts. The OP mentions press coverage, there is a video showing clear improvements to that, a physical CB was able to steer Steve Smith (small receiver) off course and alter the route in bump and run, that is very cool

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:59 PM   #8
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Why is every sentence a question?

So I guess my answer to the OP is no.
This was the sentence I thought would stick out with my long post.

They focused mainly on trying to fix Wr/DB animations and didn't put much effort on everything else?

And Jarebear is correct, I knew I had a long post, why make it longer?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »