Home

Can we stop already with the RISP less-than-2-outs popouts and line outs?

This is a discussion on Can we stop already with the RISP less-than-2-outs popouts and line outs? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 06-10-2015, 03:40 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Can we stop already with the RISP less-than-2-outs popouts and line outs?

I cannot fathom how many times I've seen a situation where I have runners in scoring position (usually on third base at the very least) with less than 2 outs and my next batter either pops out or lines out and the runner cannot advance. It has been happening literally every game at least once and it's very irritating. Ground outs with the infield in, fine. Strikeouts, fine. But the popouts and smashed line drives right at someone are really becoming a nuisance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2015, 04:00 PM   #2
MVP

SmooveMove's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Can we stop already with the RISP less-than-2-outs popouts and line outs?

Do you never advance the runner? If not then I think thats just baseball.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:00 PM   #3
Rookie

Baseball Purist's Arena

OVR: 1

I see this a little more than I would like to as well. I just played a game were Cameron Maybin hit a leadoff triple and then my next three batters all hit pop-up's that did not leave the infield.

I understand, it happens in the Majors...but.. and now that I think about it more..

Pop ups behind the catcher and in the infield happen way too often. And the rate that they somehow stay just fair enough so the CPU can catch it has been a problem the last few years.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:30 PM   #4
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.A.D.
I cannot fathom how many times I've seen a situation where I have runners in scoring position (usually on third base at the very least) with less than 2 outs and my next batter either pops out or lines out and the runner cannot advance. It has been happening literally every game at least once and it's very irritating. Ground outs with the infield in, fine. Strikeouts, fine. But the popouts and smashed line drives right at someone are really becoming a nuisance.
I don't mean this the way it is probably going to sound but I really want to ask. Is there anything about this game that you do like? I mean I know you and I don't get along or see eye to eye on it. But I can't find a single thread you have created or posted in that has anything positive to say about your experience with this game.

I would love to help you out, I just don't think I am the right guy to help you. But I hopefully could point you in the direction of some guys that could. We used to have a pretty big core group of guys that have spent a lot of time with this game and its developers.

But anyway I am not meaning this as an attack, I'm really not. But if this is out of line a mod can delete this if they feel the need.

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:37 PM   #5
Je ne sais quoi

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/17/sp...easy-outs.html
SmallBall
#44Syracuse
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2015, 07:48 PM   #6
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
There are so many factors that come into play here:

* Batting Rating
* Pitcher Rating
* Manager/Coach Ratings
* Type of Pitch
* Location of Pitch
* Location of Swing
* Timing of Swing

I haven't seen an issue where I've had every game or a majority of games where I don't make solid contact or drive runners in when I have runners in scoring position. Yes my team has bad games, sometimes bad series or even two. I wonder if you're getting over zealous with having RISP that you're swinging at pitcher's pitches? Trying to put a ball into play instead of making sure pitch is hitter's pitch? Are you're players slumping? Team slumping? Do you're coaches have poor contact/clutch ratings?

There are too many factors that come into play for this to be as cut and dry and you're wanting it to be.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 06-10-2015, 08:07 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

I think IFFB happen too much in general. Seems that too often bad contact is too bad. Meaning instead of a lazy fly to medium OF that's a routine out, it's a sky high pop up somewhere on the infield. Likewise, instead of a 4-hopper to the SS, it's a chopper off the plate that barely makes it to the pitcher.

In MLB, IFFB happen about 10% of flyballs (which are about 33% of batted balls [source: fangraphs]). So about 3% of contact is IFFB on average.

I think it happens more than that in MLB15. Granted, there are a lot of factors in play as countryboy noted. Still, I think the ingredients come together for absolutely terrible contact too often when a mistake is made by the hitter.

I don't particularly notice more by either my team or the CPU team in RISP situations, but I think it just happens too much in general, which makes it happen more on average in RISP as well.

I also think line drives might turn into outs too much. The .700 or so BABIP on line drives doesn't seem to happen - again on both sides.

One thing I noticed on fangraphs was the spread of soft/medium/hard contact. "Medium" contact is the majority, about 53%. Hard is 28% and Soft is 16%. I think in The Show, the extremes in both directions happen too much.

Last edited by KBLover; 06-10-2015 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:44 PM   #8
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
I'm sure the cpu is thinking the same thing about me after a game I played today. Gave up a leadoff triple and had to pull the infield in, first to guys smash the ball on the ground and my SS and 1B both make great plays stopping them and keeping the guy at third. Then the last guy popped out. So it's not like it's one sided, it happens to the cpu as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »