Home

From a 92 rating to 74 just because he's 34??

This is a discussion on From a 92 rating to 74 just because he's 34?? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-21-2015, 09:06 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
From a 92 rating to 74 just because he's 34??

This is just ridiculous. I have simmed my Padres RTTS just to see the how player ratings would turn out like. So, Shields went from a 92 overall all the way down to 74 just because he's 34. The crazy decrease in overall ratings only seems to go down dramatically when that player hits 34 and above. Its not realistic at all though especially since Shields had a 20-4 season with a 2.73 ERA and won the Cy Young and the following year (2016) he is being used as a long reliever. Wil Nieves went from about a 72 all the way down to a 54. COME ON MAN. Just because a player is old does not mean his attributes should drop like that! A lot of the times its the complete opposite. The older the player the better their numbers get. Well, for hitters mostly but it seems this game is set up to make players lose ridiculous points in their overall just because they are "old." Hope this gets fixed somehow someway.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2015, 09:14 PM   #2
MVP

MLB Bob's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: From a 92 rating to 74 just because he's 34??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSilver355
This is just ridiculous. I have simmed my Padres RTTS just to see the how player ratings would turn out like. So, Shields went from a 92 overall all the way down to 74 just because he's 34. The crazy decrease in overall ratings only seems to go down dramatically when that player hits 34 and above. Its not realistic at all though especially since Shields had a 20-4 season with a 2.73 ERA and won the Cy Young and the following year (2016) he is being used as a long reliever. Wil Nieves went from about a 72 all the way down to a 54. COME ON MAN. Just because a player is old does not mean his attributes should drop like that! A lot of the times its the complete opposite. The older the player the better their numbers get. Well, for hitters mostly but it seems this game is set up to make players lose ridiculous points in their overall just because they are "old." Hope this gets fixed somehow someway.
well not since steroids are tested more. Players do fall and become nothing out of no where, and it happens rapidly..we all can name someone that didnt but if you look you can name 10 more that did. But I think its a little too universal in the game..but they added the "stats" based progression thing..
Old 05-21-2015, 09:23 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSilver355
I agree I have been talking about progression for years I always get mike trout and just sim until he is 30 or something and no matter what he already decreasing across the board it is like it is preset I cant remember what age maybe 28 he just starts decreasing no matter what you do.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:05 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB Bob
well not since steroids are tested more. Players do fall and become nothing out of no where, and it happens rapidly..we all can name someone that didnt but if you look you can name 10 more that did. But I think its a little too universal in the game..but they added the "stats" based progression thing..
I just don't agree with this at all. Most players go through a slow decline unless injuries occur. It's rare a player hits an ability wall. Rare. BJ Upton? Though Albert Pujols isn't living up to his massive deal, he's still a productive player. Nothing that would warrant a huge slide in game ratings. Joey Hamilton? His body is deteriorating due to injuries. In fact, most of the decline player's experience is due to bodies that can no longer hold up to a 162 game schedule. But when healthy they still are good players. Alex Rodriguez. Players just don't suck one day. It makes no sense. Derek Jeter fell off after breaking his ankle. It took 6 injuries to finally do in Griffey. Ryan Howard was a negative player due to his defense before signing that monster extension. Dan Uggla, suffered a severe concussion and was never the same. Same for Marcus Giles. So I can rattle of 50 players that had typical regression compared to those who just get old and hit a ratings free fall.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:09 PM   #5
Rookie

That's horrible! Trout's overall should not be going down at the age of 28. That actually is a time when most players are hitting their "prime." Hopefully they fix this because it honestly takes the fun out of playing a long term RTTS/Franchise. Like you said though no matter what it will happen because I just re-edited Shields in a roster and made him 99 overall. Started a new RTTS simulated and the next season he was a 79. He had another great season record of 19-6 with a 2.88 ERA but his overall still went down like crazy and he ended up as a reliever. AGAIN. Please fix this!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2015, 10:10 PM   #6
oh ummm

OVR: 20

I wish the regression wasn't so dramatic for older players still playing very well.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:11 PM   #7
Pro

ajblithe20's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by braves_94
I just don't agree with this at all. Most players go through a slow decline unless injuries occur. It's rare a player hits an ability wall. Rare. BJ Upton? Though Albert Pujols isn't living up to his massive deal, he's still a productive player. Nothing that would warrant a huge slide in game ratings. Joey Hamilton? His body is deteriorating due to injuries. In fact, most of the decline player's experience is due to bodies that can no longer hold up to a 162 game schedule. But when healthy they still are good players. Alex Rodriguez. Players just don't suck one day. It makes no sense. Derek Jeter fell off after breaking his ankle. It took 6 injuries to finally do in Griffey. Ryan Howard was a negative player due to his defense before signing that monster extension. Dan Uggla, suffered a severe concussion and was never the same. Same for Marcus Giles. So I can rattle of 50 players that had typical regression compared to those who just get old and hit a ratings free fall.
I'm not sure I agree with you point, but just to add to it... Ryan Howard did suffer a torn achilles in his final at bat of the 2011 season. So he missed some time in 2012 and had knee problems after that as well. So you can count Howard's sudden regression as having at least something to do with injuries
Old 05-21-2015, 10:19 PM   #8
MVP

MLB Bob's Arena

OVR: 15

Has any one with an issue taken a look or researched what typical aging curves look like? O attempted to look at actual stats and not base it of memory and their own biased evaluation? Theres a whole internet full of information. I decided to take a look to see for myself. People tend to remember and site every player thats still playing..the elite and the best of the best and how they are declining from super human to al stars and thats not a big decline..but what about all the guys that arent playing anymore? The guys people wrote off? I went to fan graphs and pulled a list and looked at their aging curves. Velocity and K rate for pitchers actually does fall off a cliff in the early to mid 30's. Power for hitters doesnt decline the same but a lot of other skills, ie speed, defense, bat speed etc and you see drops of 2-3 WAR over a 2-3 year period in mid 30's. I can agree not everyone is 34 on the dot but its not what most people want in the game..

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »