Home

Playing guys out of position

This is a discussion on Playing guys out of position within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-18-2015, 10:49 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Playing guys out of position

This is ridiculous I've seen guys play Lofton at sS or Cabrera at 2nd
I've ran In to whole teams with only one or two guys in a position they play.
For example this is a real team I played

C Dave Winfield
1st Paul Goldsmith (I know I spelled it wrong)
2nd Joey Votto
SS Kenny Lofton
3rd Sterling Marte
LF Ellsbury
CF Trout
RF Billy Hamilton

I'm fine with secondary positions and don't have a issue with that. But when you play a guy totally out of position somewhere he has never ever play it should be much worse then a 40% drop because that drop doesn't hurt anything I've seen awful fielder's play great at a position they never played. This needs to be fixed and let's be honest the reason people do it is for the bats. I feel playing a guy totally out of position should be a 60% hit to defensive stats and a 40% hit to batting stats and speed.

I realize that playing a guy out of position in real life wouldn't effect batting but it needs to on this game it's the only way to deter the cheesers from there actions.

Also it wouldn't effect any of the real players anyway except to help them get fairer match ups.
This is just ridiculous the ups these cheesers will put out.

BTW I beat that team above like 4-0 but all he did was bunt and he made no errors at all
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2015, 12:22 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Playing guys out of position

Why batting stats lol
Old 05-18-2015, 12:30 PM   #3
Rookie

Dag_BoomStick's Arena

I've seen some really weird stuff. Idk if it's his 2nd position or not but I doubt it but I played a guy that had Miguel Cabrera playing 3rd and I hurt a scorcher down the left field line that any of the best defensive 3B players would miss 50% of the time but somehow he gets him to dive up into the air about 10ft and snag it and double up my guy on 2nd. There is no way that should be possible. The only player I play out of his main spot is Ted Williams. I put him at his 2nd position in RF but that is only bc I use Hanley Ramirez in left field and I typically play my home games at Fenway and fenway a left field is easy to play with a sub par defensive LF. I've seen other positioning abominations but that Cabrera one stands out to me.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:43 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag_BoomStick
I've seen some really weird stuff. Idk if it's his 2nd position or not but I doubt it but I played a guy that had Miguel Cabrera playing 3rd and I hurt a scorcher down the left field line that any of the best defensive 3B players would miss 50% of the time but somehow he gets him to dive up into the air about 10ft and snag it and double up my guy on 2nd. There is no way that should be possible. The only player I play out of his main spot is Ted Williams. I put him at his 2nd position in RF but that is only bc I use Hanley Ramirez in left field and I typically play my home games at Fenway and fenway a left field is easy to play with a sub par defensive LF. I've seen other positioning abominations but that Cabrera one stands out to me.
Cabrera played 3B for a long time. He also played LF before and could probably handle that if he needed to.

Most of the "out of position" guys arent that crazy.

Ex: Someone who plays 3B could probably handle 2B without problems. Same rules apply for basically any IF position.

OF is basically interchangeable as well. Some guys have less range and shouldnt play CF, and some guys have weak arms and shouldnt play RF...but other than that, OF is all the same pretty much. If you can play one of them, then you can play them all. (Not saying you would excell in CF if you usually played RF, but you would probably be fine).

As for IF to OF, or OF to IF...that is a little sketchier but most of the time it doesnt really bother me that much as long as the guy is athletic.

For ex: Billy Hamilton played SS in the minors. So putting him at SS isnt that big of a deal, really.

That issues come when Prince Fielder is playing SS or CF.

Or a position player is Catching.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:48 PM   #5
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Yes.
IMO...they need to lock it out for the CPU.....unless it's a complete emergency(injury(ies)).....NOT because of pinch hitting or subs.

...and for the USER side...make the penalty much bigger and apparent in game play(but also ....have a system to have players learn new positions)...that you won't want to do it on your side.

If the CPU didn't make questionable subs(like Fielder or Kemp at SS)...or pinch hit/run for both catchers and have an OF come in and play C...I wouldn't have a problem with them saying to the USER..."just don't do it".(per se)

There are a few roster related(on and off field) things that need cleaning up for sure.

M.K.
Knight165
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2015, 03:17 PM   #6
Rookie

Played against a guy that had Dustin Pedroia at 3rd. For the first 6 innings he grabbed everything that went down the line. Finally in the 7th, Pedroia threw one in the dirt for an error. I ended up getting 3 unearned runs that inning.

The way things are set up now, I feel like you might be able to get 1-2 errors max when players are playing out of position.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:32 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ay BayBay
Played against a guy that had Dustin Pedroia at 3rd. For the first 6 innings he grabbed everything that went down the line. Finally in the 7th, Pedroia threw one in the dirt for an error. I ended up getting 3 unearned runs that inning.

The way things are set up now, I feel like you might be able to get 1-2 errors max when players are playing out of position.
See, this is the kind of complaint that I dont understand.

Pedroia is a legit gold glover at 2B. He has been at the top of that position defensively for years. Probably has the best instincts and best reaction time among MLB infielders in the entire league.

What makes you think he would struggle at 3B?

If he wasnt such a good hitter, he would probably be a utility infielder with the ability to play everywhere on the infield. And actually, he could end up being that kind of player later on in his career.

So this is not a case of someone playing out of position at all.

Not even close.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:39 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cts50
See, this is the kind of complaint that I dont understand.

Pedroia is a legit gold glover at 2B. He has been at the top of that position defensively for years. Probably has the best instincts and best reaction time among MLB infielders in the entire league.

What makes you think he would struggle at 3B?

If he wasnt such a good hitter, he would probably be a utility infielder with the ability to play everywhere on the infield. And actually, he could end up being that kind of player later on in his career.

So this is not a case of someone playing out of position at all.

Not even close.
I'm sorry but I think you're point blank wrong on this one. The guy hasn't played a game at 3rd base in his life.

As a Red Sox fan, I'm relying on memory for this so I might be inaccurate. He came up in the minors playing shortstop but switched to 2nd when it seemed like Hanley Ramirez would be the organization's long term shortstop. Once they dealt Hanley they tried playing him at SS during the spring and found that he just didn't have the range to do it, so they moved him to 2nd.

It takes a completely different set of skills to play 3rd base compared to 2nd. Reactions have to be way faster and it takes a MUCH stronger throwing arm. Dustin Pedroia might be an elite fielder at 2nd base- heck he might even able to play 3rd base too, but there's ZERO evidence to suggest that he can. Playing a guy at a position he has never played in his life should carry a penalty in this game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »