Home

Most and least effective pitches to throw?

This is a discussion on Most and least effective pitches to throw? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-17-2015, 08:55 PM   #1
Rookie

Mysterious's Arena

OVR: 1
Most and least effective pitches to throw?

I'm not sure if it's my own personal perception, based on my own personal preference of what I like to throw but to me it seems like certain pitches in this game are more effective than others.

Fourseam fastball, two seam fastball, Sinker, and slider – those seem to be really effective pitches in my opinion from what I've played. I find they were the best when I'm throwing them. The most likely for me to get strikes and the least likely for the opponent to get contact.

Thus far my opinion is curveballs aren't as effective, nor are changeups unless used in the perfect situation. Granted this far I've only used Colorado pictures as well as Samardzija who I traded for.

Perhaps playing with a high-level picture with a solid curveball or change up my produce better results I'm not sure yet

Anyone agree, disagree, or have their own take on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2015, 10:00 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 24
Re: Most and least effective pitches to throw?

In previous years, there was a clear separation between certain pitches and others. I remember a time when curveballs were completely useless, for example.

This year... I don't think that is so much the case anymore.

Fastballs are still wayyy overpowered as you mentioned (and also too accurate), but other than that, I don't think there is a pitch that stands out ahead of others. I've had both good and bad experiences with everything, from a changeup, to a curveball, to a sinker (another pitch that used to be useless).

It all depends on the ratings of the pitch, its confidence, and recent trends/patterns, as it should.

To avoid completely sidestepping the question, I'll say that a curveball with primarily vertical (12-6) break is, by far, my favorite pitch to throw (other than fastballs, again). It is the only pitch I feel comfortable throwing high in the zone, because it usually fools hitters since it breaks into the zone at the last second. It's also fairly easy to locate with analog pitching, since you don't have to account for any horizontal break. Worst case scenario, it misses below the zone, which is never a big deal.

It has become my go-to pitch, not necessarily for strikeouts, but for other situations where I need a strike, and fear a fastball to be too obvious.

I don't have a least favorite pitch anymore. Every pitch feels like it can be very successful when used correctly.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:04 PM   #3
MVP

Syce's Arena

OVR: 0

well against other players off speed stuff usually destroys most people including me, but against cpu, its hard to say, but to me it seems that if i throw a high fastball when in a full count, the cpu usually swings at it and strikes out.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:44 PM   #4
Rookie

Fours's Arena

The best pitch in this game is pretty random and based on your pitching pattern, it's basically the highest confidence pitch you can locate, in a place you haven't thrown it recently.

And that makes sense to the average gamer, but this is something that I really dislike about this game.

You should never, ever, ever, throw a 12-6 curve high in the zone. And if you ever did it more often than the ball slipping off your thumb early, you should be punished by watching the ball sail about 500 feet.

That's Wainwright, hooks vs RHB, I use him because he throws tons of deuces with great command. If he could throw high curveballs for strikes without getting torched, he would. The high release makes the grip very obvious to hitters, and the high trajectory makes it look like a big fat beach ball.. High breaking pitches of any kind are like tight spinning little paychecks to good hitters

The game doesn't expect casual players to know that, so it really doesn't punish you for it.

Ignoring real life, I find the best pitches are inside fastballs off the plate(4S or 2S) belt high sliders that break off the plate(low corner away breaking slider should be more effective, but it's not), and high fastballs (4S, running)on either corner.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:01 PM   #5
Banned

The game works the same way real life pitching works.

You arent going to get people out by throwing a bunch of curveballs with fastball pitchers.

Kershaw throws about 15% curveball. 25% Slider. 57% FB.

You need to locate FB's and get ahead of batters. Sliders work off of that pitch. Curves are thrown when you are way ahead and you want a batter to chase....or if you can sneak one by a hitter.

It all really depends on what pitcher you are using. You should mainly use your 1st 3 pitches. That is how most MLB pitchers work. Then an occasional 4th, or 5th pitch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2015, 11:05 PM   #6
Banned

And while most pitchers throw primarily FB, some guys throw Curveball first and pitch backwards.

Ex: Sean Marshall.

35% Curve
36% Slider
25% FB

Usually tries to sneak the FB past hitters late in counts.

Or some guys throw their Silder mainly.

Ex: Tyson Ross

42% Slider
34% 2 Seamer
24% 4 Seamer
Old 05-18-2015, 12:54 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 9

Throwing a slider away almost always results in a swing and a miss.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:13 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskinsfan26
Throwing a slider away almost always results in a swing and a miss.
a change up in a count with anything from an0-2 to 3-2 is almost always a strike out if it is low

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »