Home

Opposite field vs Pull Hitter

This is a discussion on Opposite field vs Pull Hitter within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-16-2015, 12:51 AM   #1
Rookie

BCScreamingEagles's Arena

OVR: 5
Opposite field vs Pull Hitter

So in an attempt to improve my hitting I started a RTTS where I purely focus on hitting. Despite initial frustrations, I have slowly improved to a point where I can now reliably tell balls and strikes (work the count) and can successfully place the PCI on the pitch within reason. However no matter what pitcher I oppose I am always late specifically on fastballs. Therefore almost all of my hits are opposite field with very few up the middle hits mixed in. No matter who is on the hill, whether it be a guy like Chapman, or a pitcher like Burhele/Dickey I am always consistently late on the fast ball.

Therefore I am just wondering if anybody has any tips/suggestions or drills for me to help me start pulling the ball more often as I feel this would also allow me to start hitting for more power. Thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2015, 01:02 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Opposite field vs Pull Hitter

I definitely recommend the Bat Control drill in the Batting Practice mode.

Also, look inside and try to jump on those pitches a little early if you want to pull the ball.

Hit is where its pitched.

Inside=Pull
Middle=CF
Outside=Oppo
Old 05-16-2015, 01:06 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cts50
I definitely recommend the Bat Control drill in the Batting Practice mode.

Also, look inside and try to jump on those pitches a little early if you want to pull the ball.

Hit is where its pitched.

Inside=Pull
Middle=CF
Outside=Oppo
Yes I definitely agree with the hit goes to where it is pitched which I do think is realistic. Do you notice pitchers working inside and outside evenly, because now that I think of it it seems most times pitchers pitch me away but my player type is more of a contact hitter so I would think pitchers would try and pitch me in on the hands more often.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:21 AM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCScreamingEagles
Yes I definitely agree with the hit goes to where it is pitched which I do think is realistic. Do you notice pitchers working inside and outside evenly, because now that I think of it it seems most times pitchers pitch me away but my player type is more of a contact hitter so I would think pitchers would try and pitch me in on the hands more often.
I see pitchers changing it up on me.

It probably depends on difficulty level too.

The better pitcher will change locations/speeds more often.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:54 AM   #5
MVP

rjackson's Arena

OVR: 1

I've noticed that pitchers seem to change their approach from AB to AB. The first AB, they might focus low and away. The next, they might focus up and in, the next, away up and down, etc. However, they will change it up based on situation. If they need a double play I get changes down and in (I'm a RHB). Or, if I take a first pitch strike a lot I might get a deep fast ball on the first pitch.

I really recommend looking for a deep pitch (not moving the PCI) early in the count. Look for a mistake. If you get ahead 2-0 or 3-1/3-0, preset the PCI to look middle in and to try and pull with a power swing. Do it just like a real hitter would. Look for your pitch and don't move the PCI from that spot until you get 2 strikes. Take anything that isn't in your spot. Only on 2 strikes do you react with the pitch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2015, 10:55 AM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson
I've noticed that pitchers seem to change their approach from AB to AB. The first AB, they might focus low and away. The next, they might focus up and in, the next, away up and down, etc. However, they will change it up based on situation. If they need a double play I get changes down and in (I'm a RHB). Or, if I take a first pitch strike a lot I might get a deep fast ball on the first pitch.

I really recommend looking for a deep pitch (not moving the PCI) early in the count. Look for a mistake. If you get ahead 2-0 or 3-1/3-0, preset the PCI to look middle in and to try and pull with a power swing. Do it just like a real hitter would. Look for your pitch and don't move the PCI from that spot until you get 2 strikes. Take anything that isn't in your spot. Only on 2 strikes do you react with the pitch.
I will definitely give this a try because right now I track absolutely everything. Ill post some feedback on how this new approach works
Old 05-16-2015, 11:34 AM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson

That is basically how I hit too.

Look for a good pitch. Crush mistakes.

2 strikes, shorten up and put it in play
Old 05-16-2015, 11:59 AM   #8
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Make sure your TV is on game mode, or whatever mode reduces input lag the most. It might just be that you're a natural push hitter, but it could be that what you you're seeing is a couple milliseconds behind what is happening on the console.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »