Home

to you u nl guys

This is a discussion on to you u nl guys within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 05-14-2015, 07:28 PM   #1
Rookie

Ghostciv's Arena

OVR: 1
to you u nl guys

just seeing where everyone puts there pitcher at in lineup. i play a cubs/stros chise and i play my pitcher in the number 8 slot and love it

doing so gives the top of my lineup better rbi chances as byrat/rizzo r 1/2 in nl in rbi's

Last edited by Ghostciv; 05-14-2015 at 07:30 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2015, 07:35 PM   #2
MVP

HozAndMoose's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: to you u nl guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostciv
just seeing where everyone puts there pitcher at in lineup. i play a cubs/stros chise and i play my pitcher in the number 8 slot and love it

doing so gives the top of my lineup better rbi chances as byrat/rizzo r 1/2 in nl in rbi's
Not an NL guy but ive been doing the same for years when i play at an NL park. Like having speed in the #9 slot and most pitcher have none.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:53 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

A few days ago, actually, I was reading online about how best to optimize one's lineup. Apparently, as the author of the article I read contends, most of the old baseball strategy is overrated and sometimes just plain wrong. For example, historically, the first 4 guys were the team breakers and makers. And yes, you're best hitters should be coming to bat more, but a lot of the times these guys bat with no runners on base much less scoring position.

Also, the author discussed the ludicrousness of having a pitcher bat 9th. Why? So he can NOT get on base for your lead-off man? After reading, I was convinced that the pitcher should bat somewhere like the 7 or 8th spot.
The 9th hitter doesn't get to the plate as often as the lead-off guys but he is directly interacting with the top of the order. He should at least be capable of drawing a friggin walk so that the high-contact hitters can drive him in. If the pitcher bats 9th and happens to get on base, he ain't coming home, trust me. By the time the slow poke comes around the bases, 2 base hits might be needed, maybe 3. (In the game at least, where their speed ratings are atrocious. They're still athletes right?)

So yeah, I'll try to find that article and post it because it was very refreshing, for me at least.

Ok, in typing this message I realized I could easily find the article from the world wide web! So here it is...

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/200...your-lineup-by

Geez, my reading comprehension is waay off.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:02 PM   #4
Rookie

Ghostciv's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sljivo
A few days ago, actually, I was reading online about how best to optimize one's lineup. Apparently, as the author of the article I read contends, most of the old baseball strategy is overrated and sometimes just plain wrong. For example, historically, the first 4 guys were the team breakers and makers. And yes, you're best hitters should be coming to bat more, but a lot of the times these guys bat with no runners on base much less scoring position.

Also, the author discussed the ludicrousness of having a pitcher bat 9th. Why? So he can NOT get on base for your lead-off man? After reading, I was convinced that the pitcher should bat somewhere like the 7 or 8th spot.
The 9th hitter doesn't get to the plate as often as the lead-off guys but he is directly interacting with the top of the order. He should at least be capable of drawing a friggin walk so that the high-contact hitters can drive him in. If the pitcher bats 9th and happens to get on base, he ain't coming home, trust me. By the time the slow poke comes around the bases, 2 base hits might be needed, maybe 3. (In the game at least, where their speed ratings are atrocious. They're still athletes right?)

So yeah, I'll try to find that article and post it because it was very refreshing, for me at least.

Ok, in typing this message I realized I could easily find the article from the world wide web! So here it is...

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/200...your-lineup-by

Geez, my reading comprehension is waay off.
i basically use this when i come up with my lineups i rather have 3 guys with good to decent contact before the heart of my lineup comes up. plus a 4th in later innings when i sub out my pitcher plus gives me more flex when needing a double switch late in game. atm with my cubs i bat fowler leading off la stella 2nd playing 2nd base ( lost castro for season early and he been killing it atm 25 game hitting streak) then bryant/rizzo have beaz hitting 9th sometimes 7th and plantom my lf there some games
Old 05-14-2015, 09:17 PM   #5
LADetermined

ShowTyme15's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HozAndMoose
Not an NL guy but ive been doing the same for years when i play at an NL park. Like having speed in the #9 slot and most pitcher have none.
I am the same way. I usually put speedsters or high on base guys at the 1 and 9 spots. Pitcher always hits 8th for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2015, 10:13 PM   #6
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

Never understood hitting the pitcher 8th myself. Every time I see it on TV it backfires the whole game. Have never seen it prove to be worth while to do it that way.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:41 PM   #7
MVP

thedudedominick's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusefan74
Never understood hitting the pitcher 8th myself. Every time I see it on TV it backfires the whole game. Have never seen it prove to be worth while to do it that way.
As a Cubs fan, watching Russell hit in the 9 spot behind the pitcher has been good for the team. He's almost like an extra lead off hitter and allows Maddon to put Rizzo or Bryant at #2 in the order with a real shot at having two guys on base before them.
MLB: Chicago Cubs
Old 05-15-2015, 10:35 AM   #8
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudedominick
As a Cubs fan, watching Russell hit in the 9 spot behind the pitcher has been good for the team. He's almost like an extra lead off hitter and allows Maddon to put Rizzo or Bryant at #2 in the order with a real shot at having two guys on base before them.

Or he could put them at 3 and 4 and get the same thing with Russell hitting 2nd. Also Russell would get more AB's in the 2 hole, and he should be getting as many as possible because he gets on base a lot. IMO it's a push, can't see were it helps.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »