Home

Lets talk theory: Playing small ball is better than bombs?

This is a discussion on Lets talk theory: Playing small ball is better than bombs? within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-09-2015, 07:47 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 3
Lets talk theory: Playing small ball is better than bombs?

Too Long, Didn't Read: My theory is that weaker players with great hitting may be superior to all star hitters because their lack of power result in more gap hits which are better for RBIs than driven pop flies.

When I started the game, I had a meh team like everyone else. Later on, I played the market and now I have a very solid team. Despite this, I'm not seeing a dramatic increase in performance in these 30k+ cards compared to under 10k cards.

I've been lucky enough to try out most non-legend players and I'm finding that the elite players pop up alot (Trout, Cano, Troy, Stanton, etc.) This isn't surprising though, their power stats are elite. So even on normal hits, you probably are going to hit it deep.

But in theory, strategy wise, doesn't that hurt your chances of winning? Lemme explain what I'm noticing.

I've looked at the stats of players I've used who have the highest hitting percentages, high on base, highest RBI and HRs. Those are generally the most important stats to winning games.

When it comes to hitting percentages, it's pretty much equal. Basically any player who has high contact and high vision gets the job done, it just depends on personal preference.

But when it came to on base percentage and RBIs, my players with weak power outperformed any other player 2 to 1. Players like Altuve, Marte, Rizzo...basically any weaker contact hitter with decent speed (to beat out deep infield throws)

Despite how badly we want to hit home runs, it's RBIs and pitching that wins games. My theory is that players with weaker power, even when they get great contact, hit balls in the gaps more (due to them not having enough power to hit warning track shots), which result in more scoring opportunities.

Compared to elite players, who often hit powerful pop flies on good contact (which just results in warning track pop flies more than home runs). I find myself losing to good players who have average teams more than I do against players with full legend/all star teams.

The only thing I can't explain is how my weaker players also seem to hit more home runs for me as well. Batting stance may be more important than most people think.

I'm not claiming all star players suck. I'm just saying that a balanced team may perform better competetively than a team just stacked with all stars or legends. Something like this:

1 speedy contact hitter, highest OBP
2 best hitter (to get home the number 1 guy who should be on second after a steal)
3 power
4 power
5 speedy contact hitter (assuming it was a 123 inning, this guy will often be starting an inning)
6 personal preference, I prefer speed
7 power (to drive previous 2 hitters home)
8 personal preference
9 pitcher

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Last edited by takki; 05-09-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2015, 08:23 PM   #2
Pro

Orange Krush's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Lets talk theory: Playing small ball is better than bombs?

When I first started playing, I had this idea that I would field a team of fast guys who could get on base and steal. However, I'm finding it more and more difficult to get anyone on base as I play better players with better pitchers. The amount of warning track outs im getting has been very frustrating so I've been looking for more powerful hitters. I find that even if my opponent is a great pitcher, I can usually get a few pitches that I could hit out of the park. Against good opponents I think it's much easier to hit a bomb than to try to string hits together.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:31 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

My best hitters are cheaper, high contact\vision. Marte, Brantley, Votto, V Mart out perform Will Clark, Trout, Troy, Brett, Bench etc. Marte has 3 less homers than my DD created player who is mostly 99's.
I think your right. High contact, vision, and batting stance seem to be the x factor.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:17 PM   #4
Rookie

dregos's Arena

OVR: 2

2B Created player (decent speed)
3B Todd Frazier
1B Joey Votto (.380 avg)
CF Corey Dickerson (batting almost .400 with about 20 home runs)
RF Matt Holliday
C Carlos Santana
LF Ryan Zimmerman
SS Brandon Crawford (for defense obviously)

As you can see my team has little to no speed on the base paths but base to base / long-ball strategy has been very good to me and I love being able to make huge comebacks in a short amount of time. It keeps the pitcher on his toes and doesn't allow him to make many mistakes over the plate.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:45 PM   #5
Banned

On my team I have Puig, Rios and a few other golds...but my most consistent player, at bat and in the field, is 77 ovr Asdrubal Cabrera. He rips them into the gap, like you said, at least once a game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2015, 02:52 PM   #6
Pro

Are you a directional or zone hitter?

On directional, you're definitely better off going with the Melky Cabrera's of the world rather than the Joey Bautistas. However on zone, you pretty much create your own gappers.

My lineup is pretty traditional

1: Speed guy. Lofton/Gordon/etc
2: Combination of speed and contact, with emphasis on contact. Speed isn't always needed.
3: Typically the best hitter, but I have Trout here instead of Ted to break up the L/L/L in the lineup.
4: Ted Williams.
5: 99'd custom guy
6: Power
7: whatever
8: Yogi, can't hit worth a **** with him
9: Pitcher

Last edited by VoItage; 05-12-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:12 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 3

Zone. I suck at hitting, so its easier for me to just focus on one half of the plate and let everything else go. I also hate it when I perfectly time a meatball and I pop it up because the game decided to move my PCI on directional.

Last edited by takki; 05-12-2015 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:24 PM   #8
Banned

Quick!

What is the best way to get a runner home from 1st Base?

A. Stolen Base, Sac Bunt, Sac Fly
B. Sac Bunt, Base Hit
C. Stolen Base, Stolen Base, Suicide Squeeze
D. HIT A BOMB

The correct answer is D. HIT A BOMB

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »