Home

What is "hedge" in deffensive settings?

This is a discussion on What is "hedge" in deffensive settings? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-06-2015, 02:22 AM   #1
Pro

Cowboyfan_19's Arena

OVR: 0
What is "hedge" in deffensive settings?

I've seen this option for a couple of years and I'm still unsure on what it does. There's soft hedge and hard hedge. Knowing what it does could be useful in my gameplanning. Also, what is 3/4 top and 3/4 bottom?

Any answers would be great! Right now I'm limited to the obvious terms like "play tight, deny, gap, etc".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2015, 03:54 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: What is "hedge" in deffensive settings?

Visit the teach me how thread that is stickied at the top.

Answers to those questions and much more can be found there.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:17 PM   #3
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Yeah, go to the sticky at the top for more info, but in short, "hedge" refers to the man guarding the screener.

So, let's say you're guarding the PG and the PF comes up to set a screen on you. Hedge determines what your PF is going to do when the screen is set. A soft hedge will tell your PF to cut off the driving lane, but sag back so as to not get beat off the dribble (great against guys who are good at driving the lane but aren't good at hitting the outside shot).

A "Hard Hedge" will tell your PF to jump out on top of the screen to prevent a pull up jumper off the screen. This is great against guys like Korver who can shoot lights out outside, but aren't big threats to turn the corner and finish at the rim. And no hedge speaks for itself. Your guy won't help you with the ball handler and will focus more on staying with his man in any pick-n-roll/pick-n-pop action.

3/4 bottom and 3/4 top refers to how you want your big men to defend their man when he posts up on the block. 3/4 bottom takes away the baseline, forces them towards the middle (where you typically have more defensive help from teammates), but is generally an easier entry pass to make. 3/4 top does a better job denying the ball into the post, but if they get the angle and make a good entry pass, you can sometimes get beat immediately on the baseline for a layup.

Last edited by Pokes404; 05-06-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:18 PM   #4
Rookie

H0VADIP0's Arena

Check out this video. #50 from Georgia in the first play and #33 in the second are both hedging the screen.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:01 PM   #5
QNo
MVP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaWtL7G-rX4
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »