Home

Completing Collections vs Buying Legends

This is a discussion on Completing Collections vs Buying Legends within the Diamond Dynasty forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 05-03-2015, 11:21 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Completing Collections vs Buying Legends

So I was looking through the market and I see that some legends are cheaper to buy then it would be to complete the collection for that player. For example, Fred McGriff can be had right now for around 12k, but completing the collection costs around 20k. Is it worth the 5% bonus you get when you complete a collection? Or is it smarter to only complete the collections for the expensive legends?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2015, 12:35 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Completing Collections vs Buying Legends

I would just buy McGriff outright if I were you, unless you have use for Longo and Archer on your team. Some collections that are actually worth it are the marlins and angels.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:50 AM   #3
Pro

Orange Krush's Arena

OVR: 2

Right now I'm working on a few collections. I'm doing them for 3 reasons: to get the legend, to get the 5% boost, and to feed my DD player the unused lower rated cards. For me it's much more beneficial to just do the collections at this point.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:00 AM   #4
Rookie

nmplayer's Arena

Yea for me the only collections I'm not trying for (I think I have five done now) are ones in which I wouldn't be putting the legend in my lineup at all. As the above poster says it really is worth it most of the time to complete rather than buy the legend. The percentage bonus really adds up for instance with the collections I have now after every dd game I get 3 cards about 80 percent of the time and at least two always. I've also gotten two golds back to back recentley but that may just be luck... also in all of the collections I finished I ended up using at least one player (plus the legend) in my lineup, even if I wasn't planning on it. And yes, great for feeding! My created player is a 99 overall in every position except pitcher (he's a 84 at pitcher), 88 contact l/r 82 power l/r 99 speed/stealing etc. A beast.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:57 AM   #5
MVP

MrOldboy's Arena

If you don't care about the extra rewards and collections, just try and buy them.

Some collections are worth doing so that you can use the players in them. For instance Boston is a good one since many people might want Pedroia, Uehara, Ramirez or Ortiz on their team anyways.

The thing is it isn't easy to buy them as not that many people sell them. That's why there are larger gaps in the buy/sell price for legends. So if you get enough stubs to put in orders go for it. Even if you complete the collection you can sell the legend for a profit anyways, that is if someone sells them to you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2015, 01:27 AM   #6
Rookie

Beat LA's Arena

I just started doing DD about a week ago. The only collection I was thinking of definitely completing, was the Giants, since the Thrill was my favorite player, and the fact that the only gold needed to finish was Hunter Pence, which I got in the free packs from the 10th anniversary edition.

I also got a Mike Schmidt legend card in those packs, and was content to just keep him as my 3B. Tonight though, I was browsing the marketplace, and noticed that someone had a buy order out on him for 110,000. I jumped on it immediately. The best Phillies card I had before selling was Carlos Ruiz. Right after selling Schmidt, though, I just went ahead and bought the rest of the Philly set to unlock Schmidt and the 5% bonus.
Between the 5% tax on selling Schmidt, and the 28 cards I bought at the lowest listed price, I came out ahead by 36,824 stubs.

I have no idea why someone would want to pay 110,000 for a Mike Schmidt, when one could complete the set for under 70,000. I guess they figure/hope they can resell the card for much higher in the future.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:51 AM   #7
MVP

Madden's Jowels's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat LA
I just started doing DD about a week ago. The only collection I was thinking of definitely completing, was the Giants, since the Thrill was my favorite player, and the fact that the only gold needed to finish was Hunter Pence, which I got in the free packs from the 10th anniversary edition.

I also got a Mike Schmidt legend card in those packs, and was content to just keep him as my 3B. Tonight though, I was browsing the marketplace, and noticed that someone had a buy order out on him for 110,000. I jumped on it immediately. The best Phillies card I had before selling was Carlos Ruiz. Right after selling Schmidt, though, I just went ahead and bought the rest of the Philly set to unlock Schmidt and the 5% bonus.
Between the 5% tax on selling Schmidt, and the 28 cards I bought at the lowest listed price, I came out ahead by 36,824 stubs.

I have no idea why someone would want to pay 110,000 for a Mike Schmidt, when one could complete the set for under 70,000. I guess they figure/hope they can resell the card for much higher in the future.

For a long time Schmidt was going for 150k plus, his market seems to be down right now (whose isn't?) but I bet that guy was figuring it would bounce back.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:33 PM   #8
Just started!

BucNazt's Arena

I have yet to complete a collection and I do have my eye on a couple legends, but from what I have heard, once you claim your legend it locks out all the cards in that collection from being put up for sale on the marketplace.

My questions are, if what I heard is true, can I still sell the doubles from that collection? Will I be able to feed the locked players in that collection to my created player?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Diamond Dynasty »