Home

Okay, we have to talk about it. Changeups.

This is a discussion on Okay, we have to talk about it. Changeups. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-29-2015, 02:23 PM   #1

Marino's Arena

OVR: 55
Okay, we have to talk about it. Changeups.

How does one hit this pitch? It seems like every game I play, the pitcher falls in love with the changeup, and it is impossible for me to pick up the difference between the changeup and fastball, leading a large number of strikeouts.

Any tips on hitting this pitch, or is changeups just OP?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2015, 02:28 PM   #2
MVP

DallasRocks's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Okay, we have to talk about it. Changeups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marino
How does one hit this pitch? It seems like every game I play, the pitcher falls in love with the changeup, and it is impossible for me to pick up the difference between the changeup and fastball, leading a large number of strikeouts.

Patience, I treat pitches like knuckleballs.... If it's low let it go, high let it fly. Easier said then done though as I too strike out a lot on changeups, especially when they have a 94 mph fastball and 79 mph changeup, it's not even fair.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:28 PM   #3
Rookie

Maverick09's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:

I can't hit it either. I find it especially difficult to hit when it's thrown below the strike zone, which makes me hit into a ton of groundballs and double plays; very frustrating. It seems like its going to be a strike, and falls off the table right as it goes over the plate.

Some pitchers use it as their primary pitch, I can't do anything against DeGrom of the Mets. He practically pitches no-hitters every time I play against him.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:30 PM   #4
Rookie

QuestGAV's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:

The pitchers on SCEA's rosters have ridiculously rated changeups with incredibly inflated differentials between their changeup velocities and their fastball velocities. I went through the roster and found over 150 instances of guys having their changeups significantly slower than in real life. I found two guys whose changeups were faster. Why they chose to do that I don't understand, but I put together a spreadsheet if you'd like to edit the pitchers in your chosen roster for more accurate FB/CHG velocities.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:30 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:

Always have been a sucker for the low change ups. I always swing too early, no matter the pitch, but, I have been trying to make an adjustment to be able to hit the change up better. . . .

Try to swing later on all pitches, drive fastballs up the middle, maybe even oppo.

Therefore when the changeup comes, you will still be early but not too early.\

Hope this helps
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2015, 02:36 PM   #6
MVP

geisterhome's Arena

OVR: 44

Having huge troubles with them too this year, with the offspeed stuff in general I have to say.

-Glad to be an Operation Sports Member!-
Old 04-29-2015, 02:38 PM   #7

Marino's Arena

OVR: 55

I can pick up other pitchs just fine. But changeups are much worse this year. They look like a fastball coming out (I know) but its impossible to tell the difference until you swing way too early, every time. Thus leading to pitchers like Eddy Butler and Bronson Arroyo becoming strikeout gods.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:40 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:

Well, at least we know the game is realistic lol. The fastball changeup combo is the deadliest if controlled. MLB players will tell you this. With that being said, the changeup is definitely tough to time in this game. It's frustrating when they mix it up well but I always try to sit back and let the ball travel through the zone. Focus only on the fastball changeup regardless if they have a slider or curve.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »