Home

Would anyone else like to see Primary, Secondary, and even Tertiary positions?

This is a discussion on Would anyone else like to see Primary, Secondary, and even Tertiary positions? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-19-2015, 06:20 PM   #1
Banned

Shady Mike's Arena

OVR: 0
Would anyone else like to see Primary, Secondary, and even Tertiary positions?

Ok in all seriousness I had to google what came after secondary

But yea, the way the league is moving (more towards position-less basketball)I would love to be able to set guys like Evan Turner and Tyreke Evans as Primary Small Forward, Secondary shooting guard, and also have the ability for them to sub in as the Point Guard for the Tertiary position...same goes for an Iman Shumpert...Hell for LeBron James he would need a 4th slot for Power Forward!

IDK, just a minor touch that I think would go a LONG way away...also I REALLY would like to see the CPU start players of the same position side by side in MyLeague Great example is The Sixers Have Joel Embiid and Nerlens Noel (In My Roster Embiid is a 79 Ovr C and Noel is a 77 OVR C) I would love to see a CPU controlled Sixers team start Noel at the 4 (which is listed as his secondary postition) instead of starting some no name scrub over Noel when Embiid comes back and bringing Noel off the bench...Hell or even give us the option to edit CPU rotations even if we aren't controlling the teams! Or at least have the logic to make 6th men come off the bench regardless of OVR...Like Isaiah Thomas, Manu Ginobli, and James Harden (In OKC of course...)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2015, 06:24 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Would anyone else like to see Primary, Secondary, and even Tertiary positions?

Nothing but great ideas right there man! It's nothing I hate more than seeing poor rotations made by the cpu in my league or mygm. Hell even MyCareer there are some starting 5's that are puzzling. Not that those guys like Isaiah Thomas, Crawford, Lou Will etc.. are incapable of starting but that's not their role on real life and I want the game to realize that on its own instead of detracting from the realism that we crave when we play modes like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tier: Legendary++
Old 04-19-2015, 06:30 PM   #3
Rookie

Khaos_Kiwi's Arena

Re: Would anyone else like to see Primary, Secondary, and even Tertiary positions?

This plays into the fact rotations need a major look at. Maybe a teams playstyle can effect what type of guys get minutes?

It's just nonsense that a guy like Pero Antic for example, doesn't play at all in MyCareer just because his OVR is low.

But on topic, yes I agree. It would really add an extra layer of depth to the game which is always welcome.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:31 PM   #4
Rookie

Guys already have secondary positions

Last edited by RoyalKC; 04-19-2015 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:37 PM   #5
Banned

Shady Mike's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalKC
Guys already have secondary positions
Sigh...well thank you for that information sir...if you had read anything more than the title of the thread you would know that I already know that...What I would LIKE to see is the secondary positions ACTUALLY effect WHERE a player can be in terms of the starting lineup....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2015, 07:39 PM   #6
Rookie

Actually i read it all so stop being a condescending butthole and they do. I see guys line up in 2 or 3 different spots each guys like igudola who ive seen play the 2 3 and 4
Old 04-19-2015, 07:55 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 8

I think that is a great idea. Rotations are a big issue with 2k. It's not an easy fix. In addition to needing more options for multi position guys like Turner, Shumpert or some stretch 4s like Jerebko or Ryan Anderson (who might play anywhere from a 3 to a 5 depending on matchups), their needs to some kind of logic for matchups. Obviously fouls can dicatate why for example Shumpert might being getting pg minutes. Also injuries can dictate that. But the big challenge for 2k would be creating some kind of logic for the CPU to substitute based on matchups. If a team goes small, the AI can respond one of three ways. The first is the current way, which is to use a standard minutes rotation set in stone. The second would be for the AI to go small as well. The third would be to try to exploit a mismatch and for example, leave Dwight Howard or Andre Drummond out there when the other team goes to Kenneth Fareid or Paul Milsap at the 5 spot.

This is not an easy thing to accomplish and I don't really foresee it coming anytime soon, as neat as it would be. I honestly would settle for the AI simply setting priorities on how they sub. Foul trouble should be priority one and under no circumstances should someone with 3 fouls enter the game in the first half. Priority two could be a mixture of the set rotation minutes and fatigue and would need to factor in time of game. If Lebron is at 70 energy in the 2nd quarter then he would be subbed but with 2 minutes left, he stays on the court. This prioritizing should also include the ability to put in guys with no set minutes in the rotation for both garbage time and when their is a dire foul situation or fatigue situation (or combination of both). Just because Cartier Martin is set at zero minutes, should mean the AI isn't smart enough to bring him in if Caldwell-Pope has 3 fouls in the 1st half, Meeks is fatigued, and Dinwiddie injuried himelf earlier. The AI should understand when to override zero set minutes for the rotation.

Even with secondary positions and no tertiary positions, the AI struggles. When I play the CPU, rarely can they figure out how to get a guy like Taj Gibson or Ryan Anderson his proper 26 or so minutes. Instead the starter will get more minutes than they are supposed to based on set rotations. The reason is the CPU struggles with sub patterns to pull someone like Noah early, then rotate Taj back between Center and PF. This is an issue for almost any sixth man that fluctuates between two (or even 3 IRL) positions.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:49 PM   #8
Rookie

I'd to see a way to prioritize certain players. Say I want Shabazz Napier to always play 26 minutes per game to ensure good player development. I set that in some setting and the game builds the rest of the lineup around Shabazz Napier so that Shabazz whether he's on the starting five or on the bench somewhere is always getting at least 26mpg.

Not a huge deal that it's not there since I can do it manually but it'd be nice to be able to turn on automatic lineups and not have to worry that my young players are not developing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »