Home

Developing Prospects in OSFM Roster

This is a discussion on Developing Prospects in OSFM Roster within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-13-2015, 08:03 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Developing Prospects in OSFM Roster

I just downloaded the OSFM roster last night (excellent job to the creators!) and I have a question as a first time user.

What's the best way to develop young players?

I started a FM with the Mets and gutted most of the team and ended up with Carlos Correa (SS, 72 OVR, A potential) and Byron Buxton (OF, 80 OVR, A potential). Despite the potential and overall that both have to be starters, the stats aren't quite there yet compared to the rest of my team. Even players with similar or worse overalls have better hitting stats.

Do I simply leave them in the minors and wait or is it better for their development to call them up to the majors?

What young players have you found in the OSFM that develop well into the future?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2015, 10:13 AM   #2
Pro

Figment's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Developing Prospects in OSFM Roster

Are you only playing as the Mets, are you playing as their AAA and/or AA affiliate, or are you simulating every level?

If you are only playing as the Mets, it is your personal choice to bring them up or not. If you can hit with them at the Major League level as the user, then there is no good reason not to call them up, unless someone is in their way.

If you are playing the AAA/AA teams, the same applies. If you can hit with them, put them where you want and play ball.

If you are simulating, I would send them down to AA to start the season. I usually send most of my top prospects down to AA to start the season, especially if I plan on calling them up during the season. The reason why is to simply get them "hot". If they are "hot" they normally progress more than if they are neutral. If they get "cold", they progress a little slower. So once the player goes "hot", I will call them up to AAA, if they go "cold" again, I send them back down to get "hot" again. Simply put, keep them in a position to maintain success until you are ready to call them up to the bigs, everyone else that isn't one of your "top prospects" is a filler player so you can move around your top prospects and keep them hitting well.

Just my opinion though, I'm sure someone else may have a different opinion. I hope it helped.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:35 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment
Are you only playing as the Mets, are you playing as their AAA and/or AA affiliate, or are you simulating every level?

If you are only playing as the Mets, it is your personal choice to bring them up or not. If you can hit with them at the Major League level as the user, then there is no good reason not to call them up, unless someone is in their way.

If you are playing the AAA/AA teams, the same applies. If you can hit with them, put them where you want and play ball.

If you are simulating, I would send them down to AA to start the season. I usually send most of my top prospects down to AA to start the season, especially if I plan on calling them up during the season. The reason why is to simply get them "hot". If they are "hot" they normally progress more than if they are neutral. If they get "cold", they progress a little slower. So once the player goes "hot", I will call them up to AAA, if they go "cold" again, I send them back down to get "hot" again. Simply put, keep them in a position to maintain success until you are ready to call them up to the bigs, everyone else that isn't one of your "top prospects" is a filler player so you can move around your top prospects and keep them hitting well.

Just my opinion though, I'm sure someone else may have a different opinion. I hope it helped.
This is an interesting take. I get it, and it's smart, but I just assumed (I have no data/proof to back my thought) they would develop quicker being in AAA or MLB because of the talent they're facing. Whatever algorithms they have for development have to take level of competition into account (no?). I mean the best way is to play with them in MLB, that way you have full control and as long as you do well with them that's going to be the fastest/best way. And worst case if you just can't play with them, as there are some players that I just don't do well with (for the life of me I can't hit with Freeman), you either send them down or trade them for a talent that you can play with. This also allows me to experience different players. I'm in the mindset of playing with players that I enjoy playing with, even if they don't have the best stats in that position. It keeps my interest much longer.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:52 AM   #4
Pro

Figment's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by econn98
This is an interesting take. I get it, and it's smart, but I just assumed (I have no data/proof to back my thought) they would develop quicker being in AAA or MLB because of the talent they're facing. Whatever algorithms they have for development have to take level of competition into account (no?). I mean the best way is to play with them in MLB, that way you have full control and as long as you do well with them that's going to be the fastest/best way. And worst case if you just can't play with them, as there are some players that I just don't do well with (for the life of me I can't hit with Freeman), you either send them down or trade them for a talent that you can play with. This also allows me to experience different players. I'm in the mindset of playing with players that I enjoy playing with, even if they don't have the best stats in that position. It keeps my interest much longer.

That makes sense to me, and I would assume they would make it that way; however, it has been my experience that it simply isn't that way. In the past, it really just seems that given the combination of their age and potential, they are just going to regress or progress, and that's just the way it is, but I have read that this year their progression will be stunted if they are not performing well, I don't actually know this one first hand, I haven't had much of a chance or desire to play yet (now that OSFM is out though, I'm gonna play a lot). Another thing to consider is what training you have them assigned to as it will give an extra boost to specific stats based on your selection.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:21 AM   #5
Banned

prestwood90's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by econn98
I would actually think that starting them in the higher levels would do more harm than good due to struggling against better competition could affect confidence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment
That makes sense to me, and I would assume they would make it that way; however, it has been my experience that it simply isn't that way. In the past, it really just seems that given the combination of their age and potential, they are just going to regress or progress, and that's just the way it is, but I have read that this year their progression will be stunted if they are not performing well, I don't actually know this one first hand, I haven't had much of a chance or desire to play yet (now that OSFM is out though, I'm gonna play a lot). Another thing to consider is what training you have them assigned to as it will give an extra boost to specific stats based on your selection.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »