Home

Ways To Invigorate Your 2K Experience vs The CPU

This is a discussion on Ways To Invigorate Your 2K Experience vs The CPU within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 04-12-2015, 02:20 PM   #1
DC
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 39
Icon6 Ways To Invigorate Your 2K Experience vs The CPU (Updated)

08/05/15: Update

Just came up with more ideas for association mode. LEt me know what you dudes think.

NBA 2K: Spice Up Association.doc - Google Docs https://docs.google.com/document/d/1..._BKTwnDx8/edit

Some of us have been playing 2K for 16 years. So to many of us, 2K is 2K and after a while, it can only feel but SO different. I am at that stage. I love the game but I have to create little challenges/mini-games to hold my attention sometimes if I am playing a boring team.

A few things that I do to keep things fresh

1. Player Lock: I strictly play this game vs. CPU on Player Lock. I don't like controlling WHOLE teams. I am one man, and I enjoy controlling one person and having to trust/use teammates. I usually control the PG, but when I am feeling lucky, I go to www.random.org ; and I randomly select a number between 1-5. Whichever number gets selected is the position I use Player Lock with. Simple concept.

2. "Beef" with teammates. If I am playing with CLE and I am using SF (LeBron in particular), I can make things interesting by freezing out Kevin Love. I know this isn't realistic, but again, the point here is to create a challenge. I pretend that I don't like Kevin Love today, and I only allow myself to make 7 passes to him the entire game. Try it, it is a challenge..

3. Attempt to match stat lines from the past. If I am playing as The Lakers vs. Knicks. If I am controlling Nick Young (SG), I will look back at the last time LAL vs. NYK took place and attempt to match the stat line of a certain player. Again, it is a challenge.

4. Randomize an Injury. Go to www.random.org ; Make a range for 1-7 to represent a rotation player (1 - 7) and force an "injury" to that player. The order is based on the MPG set in rotations. So the first 2 players on the bench are 6 and 7. So if I am the Clippers, and I pick # 4, that means Blake is up. So I will sit him the entire game, and we just have to play without him. It allows you to use bench players to the point where they might not be used to playing. This one might be my favorite.

5. No more than 3 dribbles. This is tough. For any of you that coach the sport, understand that people overdribble on every level. Especially on 2K. We all do it. Challenge yourself and don't allow the person you are controlling take more than 3 dribbles PER CATCH. Of course this doesn't include bringing the ball upcourt, but once you reach halfcourt, game is on. It really allows you to see how much pointless pounding of the ball you do.

This was inspired by an old Spreadsheet I found of BEdwardsRoy: Take a look at it and you can see how nice it was: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...pZ2VkZ2c#gid=6

Last edited by DC; 08-05-2015 at 05:36 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2015, 03:26 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: Ways To Invigorate Your 2K Experience vs The CPU

These are great. I've done variations of 1, 3 and 4 but 2 and 5 are really creative.
Quote:
1. Player Lock...Whichever number gets selected is the position I use Player Lock with.
My twist is the last player I attempted a field goal with I force myself to play as them on defense. I usually play on-ball so it mixes it up a bit.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:59 PM   #3
Rookie

Sleepy59's Arena

OVR: 0

I feel that someone's jump shot % should be reduced greatly if they dribble excessively, including iso and hesitation moves. UNLESS It's a clutch moment like the end of quarters or end of 4th. That would help reduce ballhog / hero ball. That would work great for your 3 dribble max suggestion.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:38 PM   #4
DC
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoPunch
I attempted a field goal with I force myself to play as them on defense. I usually play on-ball so it mixes it up a bit.
Yep. This is what I used to do BEFORE I started playing exclusively on Player Lock.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:58 PM   #5
All Star

DakkoN's Arena

OVR: 37

This is some pen and paper RPG stuff.. I like it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2015, 02:47 AM   #6
Banned

good thread, good ideas. I think vs the CPU, it's definitely needed because it's not as dynamic as online. The "battle within the battle" (stuff like filling the stat sheet, locking down a player, etc) type of gameplay is always something to shoot for if you're feeling like some games are getting repetitive.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:18 PM   #7
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoPunch
My twist is the last player I attempted a field goal with I force myself to play as them on defense. I usually play on-ball so it mixes it up a bit.
I do the same thing.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 04-13-2015, 04:16 PM   #8
Rookie

City_foxx's Arena

Another idea i use. Try forcing yourself to use those camera angles you rarly do. And change it up every quarter. Playing 2k cam for so long then switching to the action cams made it feel like a new game to me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »