Home

1990-91 NBA Rosters - FINISHED - Including 1991 Draft Class (PS4)

This is a discussion on 1990-91 NBA Rosters - FINISHED - Including 1991 Draft Class (PS4) within the NBA 2K Basketball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 04-06-2015, 03:07 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
1990-91 NBA Rosters - FINISHED - Including 1991 Draft Class (PS4)

I am happy to say that after five months of work, a full 1990-1991 roster set is now available for use in any game mode (everything is configured to work best in MyGM/Franchise mode, but you can certainly playsingle games if you prefer that!). I have also completed the 1991 draft class for use with this roster; I’m at work on the 1992 draft and hope to do at least 3-4 years of classes in the end.

The main file is entitled 1990-91 NBA RosterShared. The draft class is 91Draft. Both are best found by searching for my username (ferrfs), but please note that there are other files that I’ve uploaded; these are test rosters or otherwise unfinished – they won’t do you much good.

The main features of the roster set include:

· All 27 teams that existed in 1990-91, includingthe player list for each team as it was on Opening Night 1990 (so trades thathappened in-season are not reflected in this roster set. Players are generally accurate with regard toheight, weight, age, years pro, and contract (though contracts are scaled to reflect inflation). Some of the pre-existing classic players will not be accurate with regard to age because you can’t edit the birth dates of such players – nothing to be done about that, I’m afraid!

· The three teams that did not exist in 90-91 have been handled in three different ways. The Pelicans are replaced with the roster of the 1974-75 New Orleans Jazz; the Raptors with the 2004-2005 Raptors. The Grizzlies are an “expansion” team – the roster is made up entirely of players who were not on an NBA roster as of Opening Night 1990 (either because they were in Europe, a free agent, or recently retired at the time).

· You’ll need to put the ’95-’96 SeattleSupersonics in place of the Oklahoma City Thunder in all MyGM/Franchise situations.

· The free agent list has been edited. There are about 60 free agents who werereal-life free agents at the beginning of the 1990-91 season; they are all rated at 60 or above. Anyone rated below 60 is not intended for use in this roster.

· Ratings were derived from a spreadsheet taking into account objective measures of performance (ie, stats). Generally, there is a wider spread of ratings from top players to weaker players. Anybody between 60-65 is a fringe player; 66-70 is usually a rotation player or somebody with one or two useful skills. 71-75 is a solid starter; 76-80 is aborderline All Star. Anybody in the 80s is usually All Star caliber, while 90 and up is MVP candidate. Above 95 is the absolute best of the best, and there are very few of these.

My next few posts will briefly outline the teams in the league, including overall ratings for key players. I’ll close with an overview of the first draft class.

Huge thanks are owed both to freno and lorddark for their contributions to this roster in terms of CAPs and draft classediting. PLEASE let me know if you haveany feedback or ideas on how I can make this roster set more useable – but in the meanwhile, I hope it’s fun to play!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2015, 03:39 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: 1990-91 NBA Rosters - FINISHED - Including 1991 Draft Class (PS4)

Atlantic Division

The Boston Celtics (56-26)

LINEUP: Brian Shaw (76), Reggie Lewis (80), Larry Bird (90), Ed Pinckney (72), Robert Parish (86)

KEY BENCH: Kevin McHale (84), Kevin Gamble (81), Dee Brown (71), Joe Kleine (66)

The Celtics remain the class of the division, with a alanced roster that can guard anyone and score from anywhere. The big three that dominated the 80s are aging but still in place, complemented by two young, effective wings in Lewis and Gamble. The retirement of Dennis Johnson leaves the point to a battle between steady second-year player Shaw and the more explosive rookie dunker Brown. If there’s a weakness, it’s depth in the frontcourt; beyond McHale and Parish there’s a lot of mediocrity at PF and center, and Bird becomes a liability if pushed over to the four.

The Philadelphia 76ers (44-38)

LINEUP: Johnny Dawkins (81), Hersey Hawkins (78), Ron Anderson (72), Charles Barkley (90), Mike Gminski (73)

KEY BENCH: Rick Mahorn (73), Andre Turner (70), Jayson Williams (72), Manute Bol (69)

The Sixers are built, of course, around the MVP-caliber scoring, rebounding, and defense of Charles Barkley. The rest of the lineup is generally assembled to complement Barkley: the drive-and-kick point guard (Dawkins), the sharpshooter (Hawkins), the bruisers down low (Mahorn and Gminski). The Sixers do have a lack of good wing scoring beyond Hawkins and the middling slasher Anderson; young PF JaysonWilliams might be a useful trade asset to correct this.

The Toronto Raptors (33-49)

LINEUP: Rafer Alston (75), Vince Carter (85), Jalen Rose (73), Chris Bosh (78), Loren Woods (65)

KEY BENCH: Donyell Marshall (76), Morris Peterson (74), Matt Bonner (72), Lamond Murray (66)

The Raptors parachute in from 2004-2005 with the best 3-point shooting in the league: Alston, Rose, Peterson, Marshall, Bonner, and Murray are all outstanding long-range shooters. The Raptors will get low-post scoring from Bosh, rounding into his prime in his third year, but they have virtually no rim protection or interior defense; the starting center is Loren Woods. Toronto will score a ton of points, and they will surely outpace the 33 wins they got in real life with a full season from Carter, but they’re an early playoff exit without some kind of deal.

The New York Knicks (39-43)

LINEUP: Maurice Cheeks (75), Gerald Wilkins (74), Kiki Vandeweghe (75), Charles Oakley (77), Patrick Ewing (88)

KEY BENCH: Mark Jackson (75), John Starks (71), Trent Tucker (67), Eddie Lee Wilkins (64)

The Knicks have the best and toughest frontcourt in the division, with Ewing and Oakley in their respective primes. They also have a pair of excellent point guards at opposite ends of their careers in Jackson and Cheeks, and no fewer than four strong wing scorers. However, the Knicks will struggle down low any time Ewing and/or Oakley are off the floor; further, the only two consistent 3-point threats (Vandeweghe and Tucker) are defensive liabilities. Still, they’re way betteroff than…

The Brooklyn Nets (26-56)

LINEUP: Mookie Baylock (69), Reggie Theus (73), Chris Morris (73), Derrick Coleman (76), Sam Bowie (68)

KEY BENCH: Roy Hinson (69), Chris Dudley (67), Lester Conner (66), Jud Beuchler (65)

The Nets will be absolutely awful. There is hope - real-life Rookie of the Year Derrick Coleman and PG Blaylock are both future stars - but the rest of the roster is full of has-beens like Theus or busts like Hinson and Bowie, and there are some fairly terrible players in key roles. The real-life Nets swapped Theus for future Hall-of-Famer Drazen Petrovic mid-season, a good deal that the virtual version should probably reproduce.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:40 PM   #3
Rookie

Cyrus09's Arena

After playing some games I have to say great job. The thing with the age is a real bummer, especially for the Jazz. After playing against the Bulls I was really frustrated, and yeah that's a good sign I guess.

Now the biggest problem will be deciding on a team for my ML. Can't decide between Pacers, Knicks, Sixers and Jazz. All the legends that never got the ring they deserve, that's tough to decide man.

But again, great work.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:16 PM   #4
Rookie

Midwest Division

The Chicago Bulls (61-21)

LINEUP: John Paxson (75), Michael Jordan (99), Scottie Pippen (88), Horace Grant (82), Bill Cartwright (72)

KEY BENCH: B.J. Armstrong (72), Will Perdue (69), Toni Kukoc (69), Craig Hodges (68)

Jordan is Jordan; I ran 10 separate test sims to evaluate this roster and he won the MVP in all ten. Pippen and Grant round out the best big three in the NBA, and the rest of the solid role players – Cartwright, Paxson, Armstrong, Perdue, Hodges – are all in place. As a bonus, the real-life Bulls gave minutes to only 12 players in 90-91; in order to fill out the roster, I had to add point forward Toni Kukoc, who in real life played in Europe this season. This team is nearly injury-proof and will dominate for years to come.

The Cleveland Cavaliers (33-49)*

LINEUP: Mark Price (85), Craig Ehlo (71), Chucky Brown (67), Larry Nance (83), Brad Daugherty (84)

KEY BENCH: Hot Rod Williams (82), Steve Kerr (72), Danny Ferry (66)

The asterisk is there because in real life, the Cavs played most of the 90-91 season without star point guard Mark Price; they are likely to well outperform their real-life record with Price in the lineup. This is a pretty balanced team, with a lot of scoring options (including Daugherty, one of the better post scorers in the league, and Kerr, among the best 3-pt shooters of all time) and good frontcourt depth. Dealing one of the excess power forwards for a scoring wing could put this team over the top.

Detroit Pistons (50-32)

LINEUP: Isaiah Thomas (82), Joe Dumars (85), Dennis Rodman (84), Bill Laimbeer (78), James Edwards (68)

KEY BENCH: Mark Aguirre (75), John Salley (73), Vinnie Johnson (71), Gerald Henderson (65), Tree Rollins (65)

The Pistons are still the best and most bruising defense in the NBA, with Hall of Fame level defenders in the starting lineup and shot blockers like Salley and Rollins coming off the bench. But everyone is a little older and slower than they were in their primes, and they will struggle to score consistently outside of Dumars and Thomas. Still a threat, but not likely to unseat the Bulls.

Milwaukee Bucks (48-34)

LINEUP: Jay Humphries (83), Alvin Robertson (82), Jeff Grayer (66), Fred Roberts (71), Danny Schayes (78)

KEY BENCH: Ricky Pierce (80), Jack Sikma (71), Frank Brickowski (70), Brad Lohaus (67)

A strange team. Humphries and Robertson make for a potent backcourt, and Robertson is on of the best wing defenders in basketball outside of Chicago. Ricky Pierce is still a potent off-the-bench scorer, and the center combination of Schayes and Sikma is passable. But Humphries and Robertson are not quite strong enough stars to carry a roster with this many nonentities in key roles to long-term success.

Indiana Pacers (41-41)

LINEUP: Micheal Williams (77), Reggie Miller (90), Chuck Person (72), LaSalle Thompson (69), Rik Smits (73)

KEY BENCH: Detlef Schrempf (83), Vern Fleming (73), Randy Wittman (65), Greg Dreiling (64)

The Pacers of 90-91 were on the verge of contention. In Miller, Schrempf, and Person, they had three prolific volume shooters; meanwhile, Smits was only 24 and an emerging force on defense. But the roster suffers from a severe lack of depth, and the soft frontcourt options behind Smits will get destroyed by tougher teams.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:07 PM   #5
MVP

DatIsraeliGuy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcf250
I am happy to say that after five months of work, a full 1990-1991 roster set is now available for use in any game mode (everything is configured to work best in MyGM/Franchise mode, but you can certainly playsingle games if you prefer that!). I have also completed the 1991 draft class for use with this roster; I’m at work on the 1992 draft and hope to do at least 3-4 years of classes in the end.

The main file is entitled 1990-91 NBA RosterShared. The draft class is 91Draft. Both are best found by searching for my username (ferrfs), but please note that there are other files that I’ve uploaded; these are test rosters or otherwise unfinished – they won’t do you much good.

The main features of the roster set include:

· All 27 teams that existed in 1990-91, includingthe player list for each team as it was on Opening Night 1990 (so trades thathappened in-season are not reflected in this roster set. Players are generally accurate with regard toheight, weight, age, years pro, and contract (though contracts are scaled to reflect inflation). Some of the pre-existing classic players will not be accurate with regard to age because you can’t edit the birth dates of such players – nothing to be done about that, I’m afraid!

· The three teams that did not exist in 90-91 have been handled in three different ways. The Pelicans are replaced with the roster of the 1974-75 New Orleans Jazz; the Raptors with the 2004-2005 Raptors. The Grizzlies are an “expansion” team – the roster is made up entirely of players who were not on an NBA roster as of Opening Night 1990 (either because they were in Europe, a free agent, or recently retired at the time).

· You’ll need to put the ’95-’96 SeattleSupersonics in place of the Oklahoma City Thunder in all MyGM/Franchise situations.

· The free agent list has been edited. There are about 60 free agents who werereal-life free agents at the beginning of the 1990-91 season; they are all rated at 60 or above. Anyone rated below 60 is not intended for use in this roster.

· Ratings were derived from a spreadsheet taking into account objective measures of performance (ie, stats). Generally, there is a wider spread of ratings from top players to weaker players. Anybody between 60-65 is a fringe player; 66-70 is usually a rotation player or somebody with one or two useful skills. 71-75 is a solid starter; 76-80 is aborderline All Star. Anybody in the 80s is usually All Star caliber, while 90 and up is MVP candidate. Above 95 is the absolute best of the best, and there are very few of these.

My next few posts will briefly outline the teams in the league, including overall ratings for key players. I’ll close with an overview of the first draft class.

Huge thanks are owed both to freno and lorddark for their contributions to this roster in terms of CAPs and draft classediting. PLEASE let me know if you haveany feedback or ideas on how I can make this roster set more useable – but in the meanwhile, I hope it’s fun to play!

Last edited by DatIsraeliGuy; 04-06-2015 at 10:21 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2015, 10:52 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

You're the man! This is my golden age for the NBA....I was 14 in '91.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:04 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 2

Great work! Have you used freno ' s cap for Bernard King?
Old 04-07-2015, 02:33 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

I"m not seeing 1990-91 NBA RosterShared. i see a 90-91 nba shared, 90-91 nba final, and 90-91 nba roster. what one should i use?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters »