Home

Where Is A New Fight Night Game?

This is a discussion on Where Is A New Fight Night Game? within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-16-2015, 11:21 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Where Is A New Fight Night Game?

With Mayweather vs. Pacquiao coming up in May, it struck me as rather sad that gamers have no real way to enjoy boxing in this next generation. To be sure, it’s been a painful sabbatical for fans of the Fight Night series, as EA has switched gears into the MMA world with EA Sports UFC. The business decision certainly made sense for the UFC at the time, as they got to partner up with a bigger brand in EA. For EA, they got to give the Fight Night license a rest while riding the rocket that was the UFC. With only just over a million units sold on Xbox One and PS4 for EA Sports UFC, according to VGChartz, one has to wonder if this was a bet worth taking.

Read More - Where Is A New Fight Night Game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2015, 11:37 AM   #2
Pro

rkocjay's Arena

OVR: 0
I would take fight night over ufc any day.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:58 AM   #3
MVP

Please bring back Fight Night!
Old 03-16-2015, 12:10 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 33
Excellent article.
Fight Night was a far more accurate simulation of the sport than EA's UFC game is. I really hope Fight Night returns albeit with a far better emphasis on capturing the fanfare & atmosphere of a big fight match-up. I would like to see a Boxing game that includes all the Pre-Fight elements (Weigh-Ins, Press Conferences...) to give you a sense of building up to a big bout rather than just getting straight into the fight.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:33 PM   #5
MVP

Yaari's Arena

I think MMA, and specifically the UFC, is a much safer bet right now. In boxing all fighters have to be licensed individually, making it difficult to put together a roster. Has Mayweather even made an appearance in any of the games? At the end of the day MMA is still on the rise while boxing currently has to be carrier by a handful of names.

EA UFC could have sold better, but it was a beginning console generation, and it did not score too well either. It was lacking in depth and modes. But its a game with a very solid foundation.

Switching to boxing won't really get them anywhere. It's not really a safe bet either. They have to make EA UFC a solid foundation first. I won't be surprised if they start exploring options once EA UFC 2 and the sales numbers are out though. The current install base for this gen is rapidly growing, and if the game still does not manage to do the numbers, they might partially switch their efforts towards boxing. Who knows.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2015, 01:02 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Where Is A New Fight Night Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaari
I think MMA, and specifically the UFC, is a much safer bet right now. In boxing all fighters have to be licensed individually, making it difficult to put together a roster. Has Mayweather even made an appearance in any of the games? At the end of the day MMA is still on the rise while boxing currently has to be carrier by a handful of names.
Premiere Boxing Champions is giving boxing a new look, and Fight Night Champions wasn't totally lacking in signed boxers. Give the boxers more face time on national TV, improve the game considerably, and you'll have a winner.

Of course I'm a huge boxing fan, who doesn't care about MMA in the least.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:19 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 33
Fight games, irrespective of their genre, have the potential to grow their sales by appealing to the more casual gamer. However to do this they need to make a much more accessible control system. EA's UFC has a ridiculously complicated control system, in particular the ground game. Sure dedicated fans will take the time to master them, but a casual player will soon tire of the effort required. I enjoy UFC's stand up game but once the action goes to ground it becomes a stick twiddling button flicking extravaganza whereby I do all I can to get to a stand up position. Boxing of course doesn't have this ground game element & therefore removed the necessity of such control schemes. Another reason why I find it the better option.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:24 PM   #8
Rookie

santa7999's Arena

OVR: 2
Fight night aside, which was a great series and it should not have been put aside, EA UFC probably only did a million units because the game lacks any real content. Sure they have been one of the better games with updates and giving free fighters but who is going to play the same game for 2 years only playing exhibition matches and some online fights. There is nothing to do in the game once you finish career mode, which was somewhat boring and predictable.

I am not an online gamer, I could care less about playing people online, I would rather play my own "Universe" mode like the WWE games have, that way, its never ending and you create the storylines, and you can use which ever fighter you want for any event. There needs to be a lot of customizability with the fighting games because there is only so much you can do with it. I'm not a fan of WWE but there are so many things they got right up until this year and maybe last year, but you could customize almost anything, I know UFC isnt like the WWE in terms of creating belts and factions, but you could set up rivalries and have the rematches and it will actually feel like it counts, keep the standings, have new fighters emerge. You should have PPVs every month and build everything from there. This is what should have been in the UFC game in my opinion, well, I would have liked to see it. Dont write off a game because it sold poorly, look at why it sold poorly and rectify that in the next release.
And put another team on creating a new Fight Night....(win, win situation) stop being cheap, you have the money EA. The people could buy two organized fighting games. Id buy a UFC and Fight Night game, as long as it is good and has the content to keep me busy and happy for more than a week.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »