Home

Why are a TON of Players Broken Statistically in My GM/League?

This is a discussion on Why are a TON of Players Broken Statistically in My GM/League? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-09-2015, 01:54 AM   #1
Rookie

Jack Wade's Arena

OVR: 0
Why are a TON of Players Broken Statistically in My GM/League?

Something has really been bothering me lately and I was wondering if anyone had a solution.

There's ton of players, but mainly big men (center's and power forwards) in the game who statistically speaking, don't even come close to their recent and career averages.

A great example is DeMarcus Cousins on the Kings. Using the latest Official 2K Roster, he will never average more than 20.0 ppg, let alone 10. RPG.

In real life, Demarcus Cousins is a double-double machine, but in NBA2K15 - he can't even average that during a season. What exactly is going on? What is the reason for that? I have even set his shot tendency to "99" as well as all rebounding to "99". Honestly, hes just a small example, but it COMPLETELY ruins the immersion for me.

Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2015, 02:40 AM   #2
Banned

apollooff320's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Why are a TON of Players Broken Statistically in My GM/League?

haven't really noticed but I always end up resetting my season after a few games because the cheating as AI in this game. I have seen some broken rookie stats though.

Wonder who's the person that always 1 star threads that have ppl bringing up flaws in the game.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:46 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 3

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...y-too-low.html
Old 03-09-2015, 04:27 AM   #4
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

My roster (in my sig) has boosted the shot tendencies for centers.

DMC was at 22ppg for the season. Marc Gasol was at 24ppg through 60 games, he dropped back to 21 ppg.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:13 AM   #5
Banned

Cf3411's Arena

You have to bump up the touch and shot tendencies. Idk if it'll be perfect but it will improve their numbers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2015, 06:10 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 19

Cousins has 99 Touch Tendency and 98 Shot Tendency so the problem isn't as black and white as that. As an aside, the word "broken" is way too overused on these forums. Sim stats are not and never will be perfect; they are still pretty damn close to the real thing.

From a MyGM I simmed a week ago
Horford 21/10
Cousins 19/10
Howard 18/11
Gasol 18/10
Jefferson 17/8
Vucevic 16/10
Chandler 14/11
Valanciunas 13/9
Pekovic 12/9
Hibbert 12/7
Gortat 11/9
Bogut 11/9
Noah 11/8
Asik 7/9
Whiteside 5/9

For a guy like Whiteside who averages 5 PPG in starters minutes I'd pin it on his own tendencies and RATINGS but for Cousins it has as much to do with his teammates tendencies/ratings as his own.

2K15 Kings
STARTERS
Cousins: 19/10/2 (31 mpg)
Gay: 19/7/3 (32 mpg)
McLemore: 12/3/3 (28 mpg)
Collison: 11/3/7 (30 mpg)
Landry: 7/5/0 (25 mpg)
BENCH
Stauskas: 11/2/2 (19 mpg)
Casspi: 8/4/1 (17 mpg)
J.Thompson: 6/3/0 (14 mpg) - STARTER IRL
R.Evans: 5/6/0 (22 mpg)
A.Miller: Unknown (retired, save is mid-offseason)

IRL Kings
STARTERS
Cousins: 24/12/3 (34 mpg)
Gay: 21/6/4 (35 mpg)
Collison: 16/3/6 (35 mpg)
McLemore: 12/3/2 (33 mpg)
Thompson: 6/6/1 (25 mpg)
BENCH
Casspi: 7/4/1 (18 mpg)
D.Williams: 7/3/1 (18 mpg)
Landry: 7/4/0 (17 mpg)
A.Miller: 6/4/6 (23 mpg)
Stauskas: 4/1/1 (14 mpg)

MPG is obviously the biggest variable here.
Bigs have higher foul rates than other positions which means the 2K sim engine is going to hurt them more.
The Kings low-mileage suggests their coach slider for bench usage might be off. George Karl's profile with his deep 2013 Nuggets team likely conflicts with what a top-heavy Kings team has been doing before he was hired.

Gay posted a ridiculous 61 TS% (50 FG%, 40 3PT%, 88 FT%) which is why his PPG rivals Cousins. Some definite rating issues there.

Gay Standing/Moving (1 season progression)
Inside 90/86
[b]Close 94/89[/]
Mid 81/83
3PT 85/85

Cousins Standing/Moving
Inside 97/61
Close 82/79
Mid 85/75
3PT 36/34

So yeah long story short the engine is complex and there are a ton of variables. With ratings being updated pretty regularly league-wide for hundreds of players you can't expect them to test their effects every single time on something as trivial as sim stats. They're a cosmetic touch at the end of the day. If you want realistic stats, turn off NBA 2K15 and surf Basketball-Reference.
http://youtube.com/real2krosters
Old 03-09-2015, 06:43 AM   #7
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

Quote:
A great example is DeMarcus Cousins on the Kings. Using the latest Official 2K Roster, he will never average more than 20.0 ppg, let alone 10. RPG.
Not broken you just need to adjust a few things if you don't like a guys stats. I will use Cousins and the Kings as the example but this can apply to anyone:

Step 1: Cousins Shot Tendency and Touch Tendency need to be up conversely his Foul tendency needs to be down (under 50)

Step 2: The Touch and Shot Tendency of his teammates need to be low. Noone else on the team should have a Shot and touch tendency over 70 if you want Cousins averaging 25 a night

Step 3: Coach Sliders. The Coach should play no more than 10 guys a night. Bench Utilization should be no more than 25 which insures that Cousins will play 35 minutes a night. Also have the coach favors Inside game and Bigs.

Step 4: Coaching POE. 'Shoot at Will' while not completely necessary if there are no other scorers on the team is needed for the Kings since Rudy Gay can be a 20ppg scorer as well. Also add in 'Crash Offensive/defensive Glass' and see Boogie average 13 RPG.

Variables: If he gets a playable injury the CPU will play him something like 5-10 minutes a game. That depends on how much his rating drops through the injury. If his rating drops lower than the 13th man on the bench he'll go to reserve. Otherwise he'll move to the spot on the bench that matches where he rates compared to the team.

So if you do these things and Cousins stays healthy I've had him averaging 25ppg and 13rpg in my league modes. Also if you drop everyone else and just leave Rudy Gay with touches and shots up he can average 20ppg.

Hope that helps. It's not broken. It's just about how the default 2k rosters handle those steps and variables
Old 03-09-2015, 06:58 AM   #8
Banned

Cf3411's Arena

2Ks main issue is they give guys who never get touches tendencies at like 40 when they should be 0-5. Only like 4-5 guys on a team should have touch tendencies over 5 that way they only call plays for those guys. Teams don't call plays for Tony Allen, or Joe Anthony so why do they have touch tendencies.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »