Home

Not another NCAA 14 Slider Thread!

This is a discussion on Not another NCAA 14 Slider Thread! within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-03-2015, 07:15 PM   #1
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13
Not another NCAA 14 Slider Thread!

I wanted to update this thread since it has been 5 years since I posted it.

At this point we have got to play a lot of NCAA 14 since it came out in July 2013. All of us have experienced the 2nd half collapse of cpu teams during dynasty mode. That is why I went on a quest in March 2015 to find a solution. I posted this thread after 1 dynasty season worth of testing because I was sure what I found was the game saver I needed and thought it might be what other needed too.

Turn the fatigue setting off

Now it has been 5 years worth of playing the game over multiple dynasties and I think I can now truly post my findings.

The Cons
I want to post the cons for you first so you don't have to waste time reading this post beyond this point.

*With fatigue off you will not see the cpu sub players out in played human v cpu games: You can find a work around with formation subs. I always use formation subs on my part so I make sure I am getting multiple players in. Even with fatigue on and auto sub settings I was not seeing a ton subbing occurring outside of late in the 2nd or 4th quarters. As a former high school coach I will tell you that is not the time you want backups in the game. I want them in during the 1st/early 2nd or in the 3rd. I found that subs are not impacted in simmed games or cpu v cpu games. I can not speak for coach mode as I don't buy into the whole watching a video game playout, I play the game.

Pros for using fatigue off

*The cpu plays a complete game: You will find the cpu will play a complete 4 quarter game on any time setting. I have seen the cpu make 4th quarter come backs, blow me out for 4 quarters, and elevate the over all play. With that said I have had a number of games where my team just played better and the cpu "gives up." Anyone who has played or coached sports knows when you are getting beat bad you have players phone it in. I have seen that go both ways where my team did it and the cpu do it. It adds realism for me.

*The cpu run game is vastly improved: The cpu will run the ball all game long. If the coach is balanced then they will run the ball as many times as they pass. The cpu will control the game with through the run. With slider sets I found the ones where the rund blocking and RB ability was turned way up could get the cpu to run better, but it was not like the cpu does with fatigue off. A good rated back will go over 100 if you don't adjust. I have had games were a great back went of 200+ on me. I have only had the top rush defense 1 time in 40+ dynasty seasons; with fatigue on and other slider sets I was always ranked #1.

*Cpu play calling is greatly improved: Since turning fatigue off I have seen a reduction in the number of tailback screen plays called a game and when they are called. They are still in the game and the only way to get rid of them is take them out of playbooks but they are a part of football. I have seen them called more on 1st and 2nd down and way less on 3rd down. I do still see them called often when it is 3rd and long but that is a safe play that most coaches would call in real life.

My settings
I follow the less is more approach with most sports games. The game was made for anyone to pick up and play. There are things you can't get rid of due to programing. It is a EA created football video game so it will not play like real life. At this point with the state Madden is in I just want a game I can enjoy playing while getting the most challenge without tipping the scale. For me this is what works, but I am not like every one of you. I would suggest you find your own set based off default.

Here is my setup....
Roster: Original 2013 roster file from OS. A copy is under my 360 gametag: jbrew2411
Offense: Heisman (played on AA but felt really easy most games for my skill)
Defense: Heisman (same as the offense)
Injury: On (I have seen more injuries once the original roster file cycles out but will see a few occur in the first 5 seasons)
Fatigue: OFF (this is the key to everything I have found. The cpu comes to life. Overall game play is improved)
Speed Threshold: 45-50 (based on my defense do I change this setting. A 90ovr or higher defense I found 45 to work better, seems to slow defense down more than offense. I use 50 for any defense below 90 ovr.)
Home Field Advantage: OFF (I found this to impact the way the cpu plays greatly. I turned it on for 2 seasons using a cupcake roster teambuilder team of mine. In year 2 and 3 I won the national title winning every game by 21+. This was a sub 70 ovr team. I turned it off for year 4 where I returned 19 or 22 starters including my QB and struggled to win 4 games. That was all I needed to know it played a role.)
Ice the Kicker: On (only seems to impact the kicker but coach skill tree can trump it.)

Penalty Sliders: All set to 50 or on

Sliders: User/CPU
QB Acc: 50/50
Pass: 50/50
Run: 50/50
RB Ability: 50/50
WR Catch: 50/50
Pass Cover: *55/50
INT:: **55/35
Reaction: 50/50
Tackle: ***50/10

*I have the pass coverage set at 55 for any human defense below a 90ovr or when the DC skill tree does not have maxed out d-line and coverage skills.

**I have the INT slider for human at 55 if pass coverage is at 55; I keep both set the same as my defense improves. I have the cpu always set at 35 due to the over powered number of picks the human will throw. I coached high school QBs for 10 years, a few have even been on the rosters in the game and Madden, but even throwing safe throws turns into picks due to the way the cpu is programmed. I still throw picks but its more in line with real life numbers.

***I have the cpu tackle slider at 10 always because its college football and missed tackles happen. The cpu will generate enough at the human setting at 50. I have given up enough 100-200+ yard games.

Coach Skill Tree:
I do not limit myself at all. I adjust a few sliders based on my OC/DC skill tree.

House Rules:
I have thrown most of them out. Money plays still work but the cpu will react if you run the same play multiple times in a row. Roll out with QB still works so make your choice, I roll out to avoid sacks. Recruiting is still glitched, I try to keep it realistic. I play to win the game, with fatigue off you will need to have that mind set.

Overall: The fatigue setting I have found improves the game play in the areas of cpu run game, cpu play calling, cpu playing an entire game, and the variety of games. I was at a point where I was ready to put NCAA 14 away forever until I made this find. I know there are a number of the slider guys that don't like it, but I also don't like the way the game plays with their sliders. Settings and sliders are not for everyone. So if you are looking to make the cpu play better without making the game unfair then give it a try. Try my settings as a base or try some of the slider makers sets but try them with fatigue off. I have seen a few post how they use other sets but turn fatigue off. I can't stop playing the game.

Good luck! Please post your experiences or sliders you are using as it might help others. If it happens to not be for you then move on to the next thread, no hard feelings.

Last edited by jbrew2411; 10-22-2020 at 01:52 PM. Reason: 5 years later!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2015, 07:43 AM   #2
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

Re: Not another NCAA 14 Slider Thread!

It find data proof follow the link in my signature to the dynasty thread I started. The first 5 pages are all games played with fatigue turned on with various slider sets. Starting on page 5 with the Georgia Tech game is when I moved back to default Heisman but turned fatigue off. At that point you can see a change in my games. In the 2 full seasons I played, only 1st season game notes are in the thread, my record was 8-5 and 7-6. My skill did not just diminish. The change was that the CPU played a complete game. I was not able to outscore every team in the 2nd half by 21+ points.

Another added benefit is that since the change I have seen my own teams injuries increase. In the previous dynasty seasons before 2027 I only had 2 players miss more then 4 weeks. This was without editing ratings to manipulate more injuries. Once I spent time editing every player on my teams injury/stamina ratings I could get more injures, but that required time spent editing players each season.

Once I turned fatigue off the amount of injuries increased from missing plays to missing games. All this occurred without editing a single player rating. With fatigue off players still have their fatigue bar drop allowing for injuries. I have not seen any increase in the CPU teams injures but just my own.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:03 AM   #3
MVP

jp18's Arena

OVR: 0

I am a believer I turned fatigue off after your results, and I have left it off since. With the right auto subs I have still seen some rotation which is nice but the games have become much more competitive.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:24 AM   #4
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp18
I am a believer I turned fatigue off after your results, and I have left it off since. With the right auto subs I have still seen some rotation which is nice but the games have become much more competitive.
Great to hear. I would like to know about your auto sub settings.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:59 PM   #5
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

If anyone try's this out feel free to post your results.

I finished my regular season of year 2028 last night. I was 5-5 with a 3 win Kentucky and a 6 win Georgia Tech to go. I beat Kentucky by 13, I was rated 10ovr points better then them. I did give up 240 yards on the ground.

I beat Tech by a late TD giving me a 6 point win. This was the first win over Tech in 2 seasons. I gave up 275 on the ground and 200 yards through the air.

My defense finished ranked 124th in points, total yards, and passing yards, but 54th in rush D.

My offense finished 1st in points, total yards, and passing, but 101st in rushing.

This is the worst defense I have had player wise in awhile. I had to battle every game to just win 7 games. I have lost more games in the 2 seasons with fatigue off then I have the entire time playing this dynasty with it turned on.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2015, 06:22 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

I'm going to give this a try, on default All American (I'm not nearly good enough for Heisman). I'll let you know how it goes.

One question, what sort of passing percentage are you getting from the CPU? On default Heisman, do you ever see throws off target, or is it all robo-QB?
Old 03-04-2015, 06:48 PM   #7
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesday
I'm going to give this a try, on default All American (I'm not nearly good enough for Heisman). I'll let you know how it goes.

One question, what sort of passing percentage are you getting from the CPU? On default Heisman, do you ever see throws off target, or is it all robo-QB?
I started out on All-American. It was a little easy for my skill but you should try it first.

As for QB %, you can set QBA to what ever you like. You can set the sliders how ever you see fit to fit your style. The key is just turning fatigue off. I say to start at default then make changes based on what you do best/worst.

Good luck and enjoy.

Last edited by jbrew2411; 03-04-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:28 PM   #8
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21

I finally got NCAA back but I did notice back then when I had it that 2nd half CPU was nowhere near the same. I've never ever even thought of turning fatigue off. Gonna give this a try 100%. Sounds very promising!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »