Home

Free Agent Logic in MyGM

This is a discussion on Free Agent Logic in MyGM within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-02-2015, 11:45 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 19
Free Agent Logic in MyGM

In past seasons there have been an abundance of mind-boggling signings that kill the realism in Association/MyGM. I would like to correct those and will be testing this month. Are there consistent bad signings/AI decisions that you are noticing?

For example, in past years Chris Paul would sign with the Cavaliers 100% of the time even though
A. The Clippers can offer more money/years
B. The Clippers are a better team than the pre-LeBron Cavs
C. The Cavs already had Kyrie Irving who plays the same position.

I believe Leftos worked on and improved this area a great deal, but I would still like to explore what issues remain and what can further be done.

Running a test now as an example of what to keep an eye out for

Results from a sim with the current (3/2/15) roster.

Hassan Whiteside (80/C): Hornets
Won't be a FA in real life, though this is a separate issue.

Paul Millsap (84/PF): Knicks
Al Jefferson (84/C): Knicks
Wesley Matthews (82/SG): Knicks

Not an "issue" but literally the New York Jazz. They actually have a really strong team (drafted Mudiay) and this is probably Phil's best case scenario. All these players got raises (including Jefferson, who opted out of 13.5M to take 14.5M)

LeBron James (95/SF): Lakers
Kobe retired with 25M left on his contract. Players/Coaches retiring earlier than they should is an issue 2K is aware of but still needs to address.

Marc Gasol (87/C): Pistons
Greg Monroe (85/PF): Pistons
They still have Andre Drummond.

Brook Lopez (83/C): Wolves
He declined his 16.8M to take 10.7M per on a team that already has Pekovic (3 years, 35.8M) and Dieng.

Patrick Beverley (76/PG): FREE AGENT
The Rockets drafted four terrible PGs and likely just didn't have the space. It's great that the game included IRL draft picks, but many second rounders are STASHED which the game doesn't allow... which means this feature is as much a hindrance as not having it.

DeMarre Carroll (77/SF): FREE AGENT
Hawks signed Khris Middleton (77/SG) and drafted four players. They really should have been re-signing Carroll since he's a SF and doesn't play the same position as Korver.

Brandan Wright (75/C): FREE AGENT
The Suns drafted Jahlil Okafor but this is still inexcusable. Drafting D'Angelo Russell didn't stop them from re-signing Marcus Thornton for 3 years.
http://youtube.com/real2krosters

Last edited by Real2KInsider; 03-02-2015 at 11:47 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2015, 07:36 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Free Agent Logic in MyGM

The biggest issues that I have with the signings in your simulation are Marc Gasol and Brook Lopez. Why would he sign with Detroit if they have two starters at the big position. Reminds me of that Chris Paul Cleveland deal. And the Brook Lopez deal makes no sense at all for him to leave money on the table like that and not go to a winning situation. What do you think made Gasol go to the Pistons
Old 03-04-2015, 08:03 AM   #3
Rookie

flo182's Arena

M.Gasol also went to Detroit in both my Careers (myleague/mygm) even though they have Drummond.

I experienced this quite a few times, that teams who have someone with 80/85+ OVR on a position sign another expensive Free-Agent for the same position instead of filling other roster spots (e.g. the pistons had Drummond, Gasol, Monroe but had no player in the backcourt with a rating above 75).

Really hope 2k fixes this problem, shouldnt be that hard to make some kind of trade/signing logic that makes teams priorize positions where they have need instead of having 2 superstars on the same position.

The same problem concerns the Draft. Teams mostly picked players for a position where they had no need at all. The 76ers always picked C / PF's when I played.

Except from that I liked most of the trades / free agent decisions I saw so far. What helped a lot (and unfortunately cant be edited in MyGM) is playing around with the players preferences.
If a Team is in rebuild-mode I lowered the loyalty of their star-players, seems like this helps the team to trade them.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:49 PM   #4
Just started!

The player role logic has been wack in NBA2k games forever. I'm in year 2, and the Bulls have Ian Mahinmi, Noah, Pau Gasol, and Taj as bigs. Noah was hurt and out of the game.

Ian had twice the minutes played as Pau, despite getting being useless. However, Pau came off the bench and dominated me.

Thanks for the win Bulls, but seriously
Old 03-04-2015, 09:33 PM   #5
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashidi
LeBron James (95/SF): Lakers
Kobe retired with 25M left on his contract. Players/Coaches retiring earlier than they should is an issue 2K is aware of but still needs to address.
Are you sure Kobe didn't go down with a career ending injury?

Thanks for the detailed examples on the rest.
Novato, CA, USA
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2015, 10:09 PM   #6
MVP

BluFu's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashidi
Players/Coaches retiring earlier than they should is an issue 2K is aware of but still needs to address.
Hm.. I've got a different issue. Coaches are not retiring at ALL. I'm in 2027 and none have left.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:44 AM   #7
Just started!

the Bulls have Ian Mahinmi, Noah, Pau Gasol, and Taj as bigs. Noah was hurt and out of the game.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:18 AM   #8
Just started!

The player role logic has been wack in NBA2k games forever. I'm in year 2, and the Bulls have Ian Mahinmi, Noah, Pau Gasol, and Taj as bigs. Noah was hurt and out of the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »