Home

How Madden Ratings Are Made

This is a discussion on How Madden Ratings Are Made within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-24-2015, 10:19 AM   #1
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/madden/

An interesting article from FiveThirtyEight about how EA Sports translates real-world players into their digital representations in Madden NFL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2015, 10:39 AM   #2
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: How Madden Ratings Are Made

90% of this article was already known for years by previous articles over the past 6 years. The new stuff not known begins in the second half of the article towards the end. Good read and good find Hooe.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:27 PM   #3
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21

I love to see that formula. I wonder if the gameplay itself values those ratings the same as the overall rating does.

I thought his comment about Spec Catch was interesting. He said that rating has little to no affect on gameplay. I thought it was pretty important. Also the idea that the EA guys might not even know how the ratings all work within the game. Not surprising.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:37 PM   #4
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04
I thought his comment about Spec Catch was interesting. He said that rating has little to no affect on gameplay. I thought it was pretty important. Also the idea that the EA guys might not even know how the ratings all work within the game. Not surprising.
I'm sorry, I haven't read the article yet, but this made me

Spoiler
Old 02-24-2015, 04:05 PM   #5
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

A couple reactions to the OVR rating breakdown from that article -

I know the Speed rating at one point in Madden's life was the be-all end-all rating, but with where the game is at today, I'm a little disappointed that the OVR rating attribute weights still value it so highly for many positions. It would strike me that ability to play fast in small areas should be more valuable; to that end, things like Acceleration, Agility, the break tackle move ratings, Pursuit, and Play Recognition should have more value.

I'm also surprised that the Throw On Run attribute has very little weight for quarterbacks, with how important quarterback mobility is in the NFL these days. Speed seems entirely overvalued, while Acceleration and the ability to break tackles has no value whatsoever; this would strike me as making identifying truly good running quarterbacks just from the OVR rating very difficult.

It would also strike me that Block Shedding, Power Move, and Finesse Move should have non-zero value when determining a safety's OVR rating. Right now, apparently zero.

I don't pay much attention to the OVR rating anymore anyway, but perhaps Tiburon might consider revisiting it, for the sake of helping out team roster management AI pick out more useful players if nothing else.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 02-24-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2015, 05:02 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

From my personal experience, I've found SPEC Catch just opens up catch animations available to the receiver. So I don't think it affects the game in terms of from a pure numbers standpoint, but it does affect the game from a point of view of whether receivers can catch bad throws.

Example: if I have OBJ and Cruz both on the outside running comeback routes, OBJ will dive and make the catch, whereas Cruz won't leave his feet to make the catch. OBJ has a 99 SPC catch rating, Cruz has something in the 80s I believe.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:51 PM   #7
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

“I’ve heard it speculated that even the Madden team themselves don’t really know what’s going on,” Bailey said. “Because they’ve got years upon years of systems and code just layered on top of one another, where it’s not always entirely clear how they’re interacting.

FML

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 02-24-2015, 06:11 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
“I’ve heard it speculated that even the Madden team themselves don’t really know what’s going on,” Bailey said. “Because they’ve got years upon years of systems and code just layered on top of one another, where it’s not always entirely clear how they’re interacting.

FML

Hehehe... Hahaha... Just saying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »