Home

[RTTS] More in-depth coaching interactions in RTTS?

This is a discussion on [RTTS] More in-depth coaching interactions in RTTS? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-23-2015, 03:21 PM   #1
Rookie

nickefer's Arena

OVR: 3
[RTTS] More in-depth coaching interactions in RTTS?

Last year was my first year playing The Show since PS2. I had a 360 last-gen so all I had was 2K.

The Show is by far the more superior game but there is one place I feel is a simple feature just left out and that's the coach interactions during a game. While we get the "move into position for a DP", there are no other interactions with your coach. I think it would be nice to see your coach calling for certain shifts or strategy in certain situations such as hit-and-runs, squeeze or sac bunts, calling for a steal or even double steal, etc. 2K had this is their superstar mode and it was really the main thing that caught my attention The Show did not have.

As I said, I'm new to the current Show as of last year, but has there ever been any talk of more depth being added to RTTS? I really enjoy this mode and it would be nice to see more added to it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2015, 03:26 PM   #2
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69
Re: [RTTS] More in-depth coaching interactions in RTTS?

I definitely miss the coach interactions on the field, but I don't miss the penalties that were associated with them just because sometimes you had no say in the outcome. Wish it had of been further expanded and improved rather than scrapped. Would love to have called hit-and-runs and bunts back in RTTS.

Atlanta Braves
- Auburn Tigers - Nashville Predators
Old 02-23-2015, 06:02 PM   #3
MVP

zello144's Arena

OVR: 0

I think it should be an option that can be turned on or off for those who want to make their RTTS experience more realistic.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:10 PM   #4
Pro

Stolm's Arena

We used to have signs from the 3rd Base Coach in MLB 12. He would ask us to bunt or steal a base in certain situations.

Also stealing on your own and failing would get you a warned, and sometimes a temporary "red light", and eventually benched if you continued to disobey.

Was taken out the following year, and I don't remember any explanation given to why it was.

That's the type of gameplay enhancement they need to keep adding, even if it's optional.

Last edited by Stolm; 02-23-2015 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:54 AM   #5
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolm
We used to have signs from the 3rd Base Coach in MLB 12. He would ask us to bunt or steal a base in certain situations.

Also stealing on your own and failing would get you a warned, and sometimes a temporary "red light", and eventually benched if you continued to disobey.

Was taken out the following year, and I don't remember any explanation given to why it was.

That's the type of gameplay enhancement they need to keep adding, even if it's optional.
I believe part of the issue was the fact that more users DIS-liked this than liked it. A large number of The Show players are not as concerned with a true baseball sim experience in RttS as they are with smashing every single offensive record with their created player. Having coaches give players instructions interfered with their ability to bat .425 with 300 hits, 85 home runs, and 200 RBI, and steal 125 bases every single season in RttS. If you looked at the online career standings for RttS, the "leaders" usually had 1000+ career homers and a career batting average over .400. (IE: lots of people just want to set their difficulty to Rookie, max out the offensive sliders and bash away, doing away with realism).

An option to turn off coaches would have been nice, I agree, so those of us who wanted a more sim experience could still get that.

Or maybe they just took this out for technical reasons so they could have room to add a feature that was more requested/important.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2015, 03:57 PM   #6
Pro

Stolm's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypoLuxa13
I believe part of the issue was the fact that more users DIS-liked this than liked it. A large number of The Show players are not as concerned with a true baseball sim experience in RttS as they are with smashing every single offensive record with their created player. Having coaches give players instructions interfered with their ability to bat .425 with 300 hits, 85 home runs, and 200 RBI, and steal 125 bases every single season in RttS. If you looked at the online career standings for RttS, the "leaders" usually had 1000+ career homers and a career batting average over .400. (IE: lots of people just want to set their difficulty to Rookie, max out the offensive sliders and bash away, doing away with realism).

An option to turn off coaches would have been nice, I agree, so those of us who wanted a more sim experience could still get that.

Or maybe they just took this out for technical reasons so they could have room to add a feature that was more requested/important.
Ya, I kinda figured it had something to do with players complaining. I vaguely remember people on the forums complaining about being benched.(while trying to steal every single time on base I'm sure).

Pretty depressing.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:37 PM   #7
MVP

canucksss's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypoLuxa13

I believe all producers would like to cater to all different types of gamers, and this hurts the sim style gamers like myself. I play sports game as a fantasy (being a pro athlete) but with the strong sense of realism (like being difficult challenges and objectives) just like any other professional sports.

So hopefully, SCEA will bring this as an option for those who love SIM and realist gamers.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »