Home

The JT Roster Builder Utility (beta) - Download Link Included

This is a discussion on The JT Roster Builder Utility (beta) - Download Link Included within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-07-2015, 06:21 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
The JT Roster Builder Utility (beta) - Download Link Included

http://www.mediafire.com/download/kd...Builder(2).exe

File size: 63 MB

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Fixed a problem where fielding ability was calculating incorrectly when using career ratings.

Update (4/11)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update (2/21) version 1.0

*Changed the file path to the root C: drive
*Corrected pitcher overall calculation
*Minor reference error corrections.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update (2/14). The following fixes and features were added:

* Reordered attributes to match those found in game edit screen.
* Corrected a problem with career ratings scaling
* Added a "Reset all settings to default" command button.
* Fixed a problem that was causing overall ratings for pitchers to be calculated incorrectly.
* Added a Stamina adjustment for pitchers on the Ratings page (scroll right for the option which will be on by default). This ensures that stamina ratings will be adjusted based on whether a player is a SP, RP, or CP. This has more effect as the roster year goes further back in history. Since higher stamina ratings adversely affect batting averages, this will help correct a potential problem caused by much higher stamina ratings for time periods where pitchers threw far more innings.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings, friends.

I'm posting a link for a free Historical Roster Building Utility that I've just finished and calling a beta version as of right now. The .rar file will install to a default location, but be sure to read the message prior to extraction.

This utility was a year in the making and I put a lot of hard work into it. It uses pre-calculated ratings completed for all years from 1902 to present. I'll discuss the calculator issue after listing the general features.

The utility requires Microsoft Excel version 2007 (I'm assuming it will work with later versions, but this is untested). You need Visual Basic installed and will need to adjust some settings in Excel which are described in the instructions.

Features:

* Complete vital statistics and ratings for all MLB players dating back to 1902. All data is contained in .xlsx files serving as a database. No web querying necessary.

* Automated roster-building which builds rosters, adds free agents, and minor leaguers. There are a number of options which allow you to set yearly weights and different rating types.

* Player search and edit features which allow easy searching of all MLB players in a given year.

* A Player generator will complete rosters to 90+ players using vital statistic and ratings averages for the selected year, and will fill rosters for all major league franchises which were not in existence for the particular year.

* Roster file creation which sets up all data in easy-to-access excel file, giving you the option to create separate team roster pages.

* The rating system used was designed based on careful study which compared stock ratings to numerous statistics (ranging from simple to more advanced), in order to determine which ones yielded the highest correlation.

* Ratings have been mathematically scaled based on actual fluctuations in major league statistics in conjunction with observations made concerning the sim engine. (Initial testing has been quite good in this regard.)

* Career rating options which allow any rating of your choosing to reflect a player's lifetime performance.

* and more...

More details found in the accompanying instructions.

On that note, please read the instructions. While I provided on-screen instructional guides, they are not exhaustive. There is a lot to do with this, so you'll have to be patient in order to get comfortable with it.

Unfortunately, it does not calculate specific pitch information. Though the functionality to add it yourself is there and needs some reworking. Future versions may expand on this feature.

Since this is a beta version, there could possibly be some bugs here and there, so you can use this thread for reporting and questions.

On the calculator I used:

I began this project over a year ago and intended to release the calculator, but after careful consideration, I opted to refrain from uploading it, at least for the time being. There is a fuller explanation contained in the instructional .pdf file. For now, understand that I put a tremendous amount of time and effort into this, and at this juncture I'm just not ready to share that portion of my work. I hope you'll understand this.

Some questions concerning ratings calculations are answered in the instructions. However, if the need arises, I can elaborate further.

For now, I'm interested in any bugs or errors that might pop up for people as they play around with this a bit.

Cheers,

JTommy67

Last edited by JTommy67; 04-11-2015 at 01:02 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2015, 07:11 PM   #2
MVP

Re: The JT Roster Builder Utility (beta) - Download Link Included

JTommy67,

I have spent the last 30 minutes playing with your unbelievable Roster Builder Utility.

Although I certainly have not had time enough to digest this remarkable Utility to any degree of completeness I can still make the statement that your creation seems absolutely Fantastic.

I built a 1961 sheet to review right out the gate without reading any of the instructions, which I plan on printing and reading them word for word tonight.

The outcome really looks impressive.

I have already begun a Roster Project and used a combination of OOTP & Jimbo's calculator for the Ratings and noticed these ratings do look fairly similar to those from my initial view without going back to check them specifically. Could you please let me know, if you have an idea regarding this question, how close to Jimbo's Calculator results are these ?

THANKS THANKS THANKS !!!
Don
Old 02-07-2015, 07:45 PM   #3
Pro

Thanks for the initial feedback.

Concerning Jimbo's calculator, insofar as he and I are using the same metrics then there's likely plenty of similarity. In the instructions I list the metrics I used, so you can take a look and compare. I'm not up to snuff on what he did as far as historical scaling, so some differences may be traced to that. I also included appearance scaling for players with fewer major league appearances. Again, not sure how he handled that.

The unfortunate aspect of doing something like this is having to put in all the ratings into the game without fully knowing what the end result will be. I did some initial testing and was very pleased with results, but I don't expect people to launch a mission to add my ratings into any existing rosters. I'd be overjoyed if we could get a few years done so I can examine the results further (I may do this myself after a break), but perhaps in the meantime we can at least use this utility as another resource to improve areas where things aren't working out so well.

Thanks again.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:04 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

I do not have the show in front of me right now, what do the blk, and pcl skill ratings mean?
Old 02-07-2015, 08:21 PM   #5
Pro

BLK is catcher blocking ability, PCL stands for pitching clutch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2015, 08:25 PM   #6
Rookie

OMG!!! What a GREAT TOOL!! I just finished my 5th roster and I am ready to dive in again thanks to this tool!!! I will be comparing ratings from my current 67 season to see how this compares but HOLY S***!! I AM STOKED AGAIN. Nice work my friend. Will keep you posted on my research!!! John
Old 02-07-2015, 08:32 PM   #7
Pro

John, thanks for the favorable comments.

For all who have downloaded so far: I uploaded a corrected version. I found an error in one of the macros pertaining to a value I had changed during testing, and forgot to switch it back.

It caused a number of players to get a "-" for different ratings if you added minor leaguers for some years.

It should be fixed now.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:38 PM   #8
MVP

bostongahden's Arena

OVR: 4

JT,
Very nice. Just running some comparisons against Jimbo's Calculator and some ratings I have been using in OOTP. I really like what I see here and such a tremendous amount of work. Thanks so much for enriching the OS community in the area of historical rosters!

For classic sports highlights and livestream action, follow me on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/@greenmonster37ft/videos
Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/BostonRob75

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »