Home

Thoughts on Chris Smoove's MyTeam "Rant" and other MyTeam thoughts...

This is a discussion on Thoughts on Chris Smoove's MyTeam "Rant" and other MyTeam thoughts... within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-31-2015, 07:11 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Thoughts on Chris Smoove's MyTeam "Rant" and other MyTeam thoughts...

Video is here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzN4mkZslWw

What do you think of his takes?

I will post my thoughts from another thread below...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2015, 07:11 PM   #2
Banned

Re: Thoughts on Chris Smoove's MyTeam "Rant" and other MyTeam thoughts...

He makes some good points...at first.

But I completely disagree with him when it comes to him complaining about the Challenges, and the restrictions on Challenges, and the fact it is HARD to get MT points.

It HAS to be HARD to get MT....otherwise the cards have ZERO value. If anyone can easily play a few games and get whatever they want....how does that have VALUE?

It doesn't.

If his perfect model is Madden Ultimate Team...I really hope 2K doesn't listen to him.

Beyond the OBVIOUS differences I laid out between building a football team VS building a basketball team...Madden has many of the same issues that 2K does. The issue with some of these issues is simply TIME.

There is a limited TIME these cards will have VALUE. Over time the price will almost ALWAYS do DOWN...that's just how it works.

The values will be higher when the game is NEW and the card/player is NEW...

I really hope this isn't the path 2K takes...

No offense, but part of the PROBLEM is that 2K has tried to just COPY/CLONE Madden....2K needs to innovate and come up with some original ideas, not just copy Madden Ultimate Team - which has many of the same issues when it comes to the Auction House, the value of cards, and the ease of creating super-teams.

The major WHIFF when it comes to this mode is that the GOAL seems to be to build a super-team...the problem is, for MANY players there is NOTHING even remotely appealing about this.

What is appealing for these players is the team-building aspect of the mode...it's like being able to play with a team of your own creation without having to find 29 other people to all commit and coordinate their entire lives to play a season/franchise.

These players want an RTTP with roster restrictions and increased salaries of players....and they want it to be HARD to make MT.

Sorry Smoove, but if it's not hard to make MT, the whole thing falls apart.

Part of the problem isn't 2K....it's the sense of entitlement sooooo many players have. They feel like they should have every card...and they focus on the cards they don't have instead of the ones they do have.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:20 PM   #3
Banned

The other thing Smoove glosses over quickly is his idea about the sets...in comparison to Madden.

The problem with this is that if 2K did what MUT did, no one would complete a collection.

25,000 MT for a collection that costs you 2 or 3...or 4...or more times that?

Why bother...?

I'd much rather see the reward for a collection be a card or a player that you CANNOT get on the Auction House....or perhaps just not in Packs. This makes those cards rare while also giving VALUE to cards used to complete those collections.

Let's say they add Jason Williams to the game..."White Chocolate".

If the only way to get him is to complete the Sacramento Kings collection, then almost every Kings player has more value. And will hold that value for some time...not just for a month or so.

Combine that with the MUT model of losing access to a card after you put it in a set...and suddenly you have something.

You've pumped the value of those Bronze/Silver Kings cards...and created a DEMAND for them because those cards hold the key to owning Jason Williams.

2K already sort of did this in 2K15 with the collection rewards when the game first came out. The ONLY way to get certain Legends was to complete the collections. Where they made a mistake was then putting these cards into the PACKS when the Legends came out.

They would have been better served keeping them out of packs...and leaving the players with one way to get them - complete the collection.

Last edited by coached17; 01-31-2015 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:07 PM   #4
Rookie

Heatcheck3s's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by coached17

It HAS to be HARD to get MT....otherwise the cards have ZERO value. If anyone can easily play a few games and get whatever they want....how does that have VALUE?

Part of the problem isn't 2K....it's the sense of entitlement sooooo many players have. They feel like they should have every card...and they focus on the cards they don't have instead of the ones they do have.
Hit the nail on the head with that point, there's so many people out there that think they're entitled to any card out there but isn't willing to grind for it.

You bring up lots of interesting points as well. If MT was easy to make, the market value of prices get inflated(as we've seen). Although his point about MT being hard to build up is somewhat true, as the game is pretty intimi****** for any sort of beginner, or just the 'middle class' players, who now has only the card milestones to earn substantial amounts of MT, but is constantly pressured to build his team up against the rest of the competition. I guess you just can't have it both ways.

Regarding MUT's team collection rewards that earns you currency in game, tbh, I feel it's necessary to because you need 11+ players on both sides of the ball plus kicker and punter to have a functional team. In other words, there needs to be a way to generate enough currency in proportions to the team size. Compare that to the size of a lineup in 2k, where you only really need 10 players, 13 players max, the currency proportion is certainly different.

I think he also briefly mentioned the Auction House and its flaws and imo, the AH is one of the worse I've seen because of how bad its bidding system is. Coming from FUT, where if a user placed a bid under 30 seconds, the bid's timer resets back to 30 seconds, 2k's AH is frustrating because sometimes you just have multiple people camping on a card and bidding on it simultaneously with like 3 seconds left. The card is basically rewarded to the last user that put the bid in, and then everybody is shut out with no second chance. With all of that being said, I haven't and won't even bring up all the duping nonsense that came from the AH this year.

Last edited by Heatcheck3s; 01-31-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:42 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatcheck3s
Hit the nail on the head with that point, there's so many people out there that think they're entitled to any card out there but isn't willing to grind for it.

What's wrong with that? The mode is called myteam which implies i should be able to build a team using the players i want... I don't care if everyone has every card in the game (i realize that's a pipe-dream since 2k wouldn't sell any vc in myteam that way). People can create OP superteams all they want, I DON'T CARE, just don't make me play them.

For me myteam as a mode can be fixed in five easy steps:

1 - Have matchmaking put me against lineups that are similar to my own OR like i and many others have suggested over and over --> a separate rttp ladder with realistic lineup restrictions.
2 - Handicap offball defenders. I want to play against a fellow human that's why i go online so give them an incentive to actually play defense.
3 - Reduce the lag.
4 - Weekly/monthly tournaments with a rare player as the prize.
5 - Expand on rttp. I don't know, maybe have an actual playoffs and finals with big mt prizes.

That would make it pretty much perfect for me, well i want better mt rewards as well of course. Obviously they'll need to improve the gameplay too but that's a whole other topic.

Last edited by Lord Bonium; 01-31-2015 at 08:44 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2015, 08:55 PM   #6
MVP

1. I feel there's to many types of cards. We need
Bronze 0-75
Silver 76-89
Gold 90+
Onyx these need to be worth it and be like 88+ rated
Diamond (special cards like how they are now but all in one no pinks etc)
Get rid of Sapphire or make them useful and sellable.
Emerald updates should stay but be normal cards like gold etc but new pictures and stat and hot zone and tendency updates.

ALL CARDS SHOULD BE SELLABLE

2.RTTP needs to go Completely and be replaced with something similar to madden where they are ten game seasons and for example winning 6/10 gets you a playoff spot then there is 4 playoff games.
Make the playoffs prize a green pack
Win the first two playoff games blue pack
Win the 3rd game purple pack.
Win the championship prize is like 10k Mt and a purple pack.
The rewards can grow the more titles you win or even be special players.

A. Restrictions can be done in two different ways either regular season 3 gold or BETTER! Then playoffs no restrictions.
B. Starting off you can only use silver and lower. Win a title next time through two golds or better. Next time through 4 gold or better and keep going.

3. Domination needs to be addressed in one of two ways.
A. Keep it how it is but once you beat it it resets and a new reward is offered and make this happen like 5 times. example first time through domination you can only get silver or lower from the pack except the all-stars teams. The reward is for example a special card like a random gold (90+) rating. Next time through you can get any player from the teams you play like it is now and the reward is a card like a diamond Curry or something useful like that and next time through a different diamond. This 5 times through domination would add a ton of replay value for those who like playing the CPU and get you some good cards to use or sell.

B. Domination becomes a full 82 game season first 20 games all bronze next 20 silver can be used next 21 gold can be used and final 21 diamond Sapphire etc can be used. Playoffs no restrictions.
Rewards example
5 game win streak green pack
10 game win streak blue pack
15 game win streak purple pack
Then it starts over.
Make the playoffs 20k Mt and a purple pack.
Win a series purple pack and 5k mt
Win the title gold player (90+) rated and 10k.
Then you can do seasons as many times as you want.

4. Challenges should be hard and limited in number and only for special reward cards and big Mt rewards. Like a challenge every 2 weeks no restrictions.

5. Sets
example
Complete the rockets 14-15 collection get a special D12 which would be a gold card new picture then the current gold and rated higher so instead of 88 be a 92 and have a collection reward banner on it.
Once you Complete the collection you lose all those rockets cards you had and have to rebuy the ones you want like harden etc. This happens with every team.
Have special sets as well like collect the best player from each current team gets you a 99 LeBron or something. Then all those players except LeBron disappear and you have to rebuy them.
This will avoid the market crash like it is now where most golds are only worth like 1k. And they will hold value longer.

6. Special cards for occasions like Christmas new years all star game etc. Release like 5 special cards during these events in to packs like Christmas LeBron and new years Melo.
These cards should be rare and have upgraded ratings Zones pics and be limited in number to like 100 and have like 50/100 on the card.

If Klays drops 39 in a quarter there should be like 25 special Klays released in packs with like a huge rating boost. Etc.
I have more but this is a long post lol. Feedback welcome.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:21 PM   #7
MVP

This was great. The most important thing is what he says at the end, after you finish RTTP there's no point in playing anymore, there's no substance, there's no point to the mode, nothing to achieve except collecting different cards. I could win Pink Diamond Melo but what's the point? I'll win more matches but I don't achieve anything, I don't even know my record or statistics, complete waste of time.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:49 PM   #8
Pro

ideaman81's Arena

OVR: 3

1. Add sets
2. Raise quick sell values
3. Make RTTP repeatable
4. More lineup restrictions
5. Put tournaments back in
6. No more of this locker code BS and make everything actionable (PDs and Saphs)
7. TOTW or month players and items
8. Historic Dom

Just some of the things I would like to see in 2K16.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »