Home

How to build an elite Madden 15 Defense in Franchise mode

This is a discussion on How to build an elite Madden 15 Defense in Franchise mode within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-24-2015, 06:36 PM   #1
Rookie

Rye_Bread__'s Arena

OVR: 1
How to build an elite Madden 15 Defense in Franchise mode

Just want some tips on how to build an elite defense in Madden 15.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2015, 08:57 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: How to build an elite Madden 15 Defense in Franchise mode

when building a defense, there are three parts: your line, your LBers, and your secondary. typically if you can have one of those three parts being "elite" while the other two are "average", you can get an elite defense.

I generally make sure my secondary is as good as possible, no matter what. Good coverage buys more team for your pass rush to get home, in addition to the more obvious interceptions. When I'm running a 4-3, I then focus on my D-Line; if I were running a 3-4, I'd focus on the LBers. I'll elaborate on how to create a solid 4-3, since that's what I usually run:

D-Line: typically, I get speed rushers on the outside and big guys on the inside. My best case scenario is actually getting two guys who can play nose tackle as my tackles - goes a long way towards stuffing the run. I focus on getting pressure, every play. The front four always blitz, and they usually have help from somebody.

Linebackers: I prefer run stuffers with decent coverage skills. Because I usually go into nickel when facing 3-wide sets, I don't focus two much on the coverage. I make sure they can blitz, because I'm almost always sending one - the key thing is, the offense doesn't know who's coming.

Secondary: here's where you have to make a choice: focus on man coverage, zone coverage, or a mix of both. I prefer man coverage b/c I'm always sending pressure, and zone blitzes just aren't my thing. SS should be good in both man and zone coverage, while FS should be "center fielders" (that is, good in zone, good play recognition, speed to get to the ball and make plays. they tend to get a lot of picks). I usually operate in Cover 1, Cover 2 Man, or a blitz with one safety over the top, so the FS is generally not covering anyone man.

Sorry if I ramble a bit. Hope this helps.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:33 PM   #3
Rookie

Rye_Bread__'s Arena

Thanks! I usually just try to make my LBs really good, but it does not seem effective in user vs user games because it seems like that you have a huge amount of time to throw in these types of games. Im going to try to make my secondary as good as possible, i have never tried this approach so hopefully this change my fortunate against users.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:58 PM   #4
Rookie

So, here's how I built the Giants defense in my Connected Franchise, which is generally how I like to set it up anyway.

1. Get a really good secondary; I prefer guys who are elite on man coverage, and preferably guys who don't need double-teams often, so that I can run Cover 0s and blitz the Free Safety from time to time. In my franchise, that ended up being DRC, Amukamara, and Culliver (signed), with McBride as the dime CB.

2. Pass rushing DEs are a must. Here, I used JPP, Damontre Moore, Robert Ayers, and a guy I drafted, but any solid pass rushers work. Put the Auto-Sub on something ridiculous so they're always fresh, because you always want them fresh for NASCAR formations.

3. NASCAR formations. If your playbook doesn't have it, switch your Nickel (and maybe DIME) to the 4 DEs package. This is for third and longs, and a great chance to really bring the pressure. Overload and LB blitzes work wonders, as do zone blitzes - when you've got your pass rushers up front, nobody expects them to drop into coverage and blitzing DRC (just don't do it too often, only to surprise them).

4. Stuff the run so they have to pass. In my franchise I acquired DT Knighton and MLB Brandon Spikes, and they, along with Hankins, effectively stopped the running game. I also found using QB contain when they like to run outside also helps, and using 5-2 formations with man coverage as well. The key, however, is by stopping the run, you force them to pass, and if you can use it to force some 3-and-outs and get ahead early, you can force them to pass almost all the time....and let your nasty pass-rushers do the trick.

5. On the opposite side, control the clock by running the ball and using short-yardage, high-percentage passes. They can't score if they don't have the ball. In the first season of my franchise, I beat the #2 ranked offense and very good defense of the Patriots in the Super Bowl (Manning v. Brady III), simply by controlling the ball for almost 40 minutes. Brady had so little time to work with, he had to throw towards the end of the game, and JPP and Co. feasted.

So, yea, that's my defensive gameplan basically - man coverage + pass rush/elite line.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:08 AM   #5
Rookie

Rye_Bread__'s Arena

Thats a smart move for ma pass rushers. Im going to give it a try. How do you afford that defense though? One thing that bites me is that there is 3 other users who go after the big name Def talent.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2015, 05:35 PM   #6
Rookie

I don't play online, so I don't have to compete with other users, which does keep costs down a bit. well the Giants start with JPP, Ayers, and Moore at DE, Hankins at DT, and DRC, Amukamara, Walter Thurmond III, and McBride at CB. DRC is already signed long-term, and Moore and Hankins are on their rookie contracts. Resigned JPP and Prince during the year (like $6 million per year each, plus bonus, which is prorated.). cut Kiwanuka - it saves a LOT of cap room.

Was able to get Brandon Spikes for pretty cheap - nobody wanted him. same with culliver. Knighton cost a bit, but only like $5 million a year for 3 years, which is when Hankins and Moore get off their rookie contracts.

For online leagues with other players, I'd suggest spending some 1st-rounders on defense. Believe me - with a good defense and great o-line, you can go far with average skill position players (QB, RB, WR, etc). Unless I spot a can't-miss guy in the skill positions, I always use one of my first 2 picks on the defense, and usually use the other on the O-Line.

EDIT: Also, you don't need big-name guys either, especially for your #3 and #4 DEs; for those two in particular, you need pure pass rushers, so don't worry about block shedding, coverage, and probably even awareness. You don't need elite players everywhere, just role players...and those guys come plenty through the draft, and are fairly easy to develop as well.

Last edited by WingedLion14; 01-25-2015 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:05 AM   #7
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedLion14
when building a defense, there are three parts: your line, your LBers, and your secondary. typically if you can have one of those three parts being "elite" while the other two are "average", you can get an elite defense.

I generally make sure my secondary is as good as possible, no matter what. Good coverage buys more team for your pass rush to get home, in addition to the more obvious interceptions. When I'm running a 4-3, I then focus on my D-Line; if I were running a 3-4, I'd focus on the LBers. I'll elaborate on how to create a solid 4-3, since that's what I usually run:

D-Line: typically, I get speed rushers on the outside and big guys on the inside. My best case scenario is actually getting two guys who can play nose tackle as my tackles - goes a long way towards stuffing the run. I focus on getting pressure, every play. The front four always blitz, and they usually have help from somebody.

Linebackers: I prefer run stuffers with decent coverage skills. Because I usually go into nickel when facing 3-wide sets, I don't focus two much on the coverage. I make sure they can blitz, because I'm almost always sending one - the key thing is, the offense doesn't know who's coming.

Secondary: here's where you have to make a choice: focus on man coverage, zone coverage, or a mix of both. I prefer man coverage b/c I'm always sending pressure, and zone blitzes just aren't my thing. SS should be good in both man and zone coverage, while FS should be "center fielders" (that is, good in zone, good play recognition, speed to get to the ball and make plays. they tend to get a lot of picks). I usually operate in Cover 1, Cover 2 Man, or a blitz with one safety over the top, so the FS is generally not covering anyone man.

Sorry if I ramble a bit. Hope this helps.

Im like you, I prefer having a good secondary, and speed rushers on the ends 1st and foremost with big maulers at DT. I like my LB to have a good balance. I typically like having a aggressive D, and put pressure on the QB.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 01-29-2015, 10:28 PM   #8
Rookie

I wanted to take a rookie cb and make him elite...As a rookie playing cb2 rated a 82 he had 10 interceptions. ..now year 2 he's progressed to a 92 switched him to cb1 and halfway thru season he has 0 !! I'm running same plays...any suggestions or insights ?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »