Home

Let's Discuss The 2K16 Soundtrack

This is a discussion on Let's Discuss The 2K16 Soundtrack within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 01-21-2015, 02:27 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Let's Discuss The 2K16 Soundtrack

Hi guys,

One of the biggest weaknesses in this otherwise excellent franchise is its soundtrack. It's difficult for me to understand why 2K can't absolutely nail this every year. FIFA has always delivered top-notch soundtracks with an excellent mix of energizing, exciting music that has the global flavor and passion of the game of soccer. As 2K enters an era in which it is not only the best basketball game, but also arguably the very best sports game in the world, its soundtrack needs to meet this high standard.

NBA Basketball is simply not a difficult sport to accompany musically. It's hip hop driven, rhythmic, and energetic. It's stylish, fashionable, aesthetically pleasing to watch. It's passionate. It's also very solemn and poetic in ways. Think about the historic players and the great moments. Think about the rookie who has worked his entire life to get to the league. All those rainy nights shooting jumpers by himself in the driveway... Think about guys like KG and Nash who are most likely in their very last season, going to each arena knowing you'll never play here again... ALL of this stuff should be reflected in the soundtrack.

I would absolutely love for us to, if possible, start tossing around ideas for a soundtrack that we can submit to the guys at 2K. Handing the reins over to someone like Pharrell or LeBron is simply not working, for whatever reason. I know there are licensing issues and some songs are not lyrically suited to be in a game that kids are often playing... but there's just no way a song like "Spiderwebs" should EVER find its way onto a basketball video game soundtrack. It has nothing to do with the spirit of NBA basketball whatsoever.

I'd like you guys to post songs that you think best fit the vibe of the NBA. Keep in mind that the songs should have minimal profanity, drug reference, sexism, violence, etc.

At the very least maybe we can get a few good songs on next year's soundtrack.

Looking forward to seeing what we can come up with!

[Edit] While I say the NBA is hip hop driven, selecting 30 songs in the exact same style is by no means what I have in mind. I'm all about adding rock, pop, and any other genre as long as the songs *fit* the game's vibe.

Last edited by highlightfactory; 01-22-2015 at 01:16 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2015, 02:39 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Let's Discuss The 2K16 Soundtrack

My main reason posting is to support you. Well written, clear concise points and easy on the eyes with your paragraph formatting man... Thanks.

Jay-Z, Crown or FwithmeyouknowIgotit (Magna Carter Holy Grail)
Busta Rhymes, Been through the Storm (The Big Bang)
J. Cole, St. Tropez (2014 Forest Hills Drive)
Jay-Z & Kanye West, Who Gon Stop me (Watch The Throne)
Kid Cudi, Ashin' Kusher (Man on the Moon II: The Legend of Mr. Rager)
Chance the Rapper, Juice (Acid Rap)

That's all I got for now.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:15 PM   #3
Rookie

2k15s soundtrack is awesome. Not everyone likes rap and hip hop music. The Strokes and Chili Peppers work well in 2k with some old school rap mixed in. Tribe called quest is great. I wouldn't mind seeing some old songs from NBA street in it.

But keep Jay-z, Kid Cudi and Chance the rapper out of it. Stuffs garbage.

Last edited by nickthemajin; 01-21-2015 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:26 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 3

2k15's sound track is terrible. Minus a couple songs, its genuinely annoying.

What I dont understand is why the sound track doesn't initially have 25 songs, but consist of like 75 songs in total with like 8 new songs added each month.

Keeps presentation fresh, and a larger library gives more options for customization.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:29 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthemajin
2k15s soundtrack is awesome. Not everyone likes rap and hip hop music. The Strokes and Chili Peppers work well in 2k with some old school rap mixed in. Tribe called quest is great. I wouldn't mind seeing some old songs from NBA street in it.

But keep Jay-z, Kid Cudi and Chance the rapper out of it. Stuffs garbage.
Your opinion my man. I am well versed when it comes to hip-hop and I see you have an old school mentality. Listen, rap evolved and not ALL of it is garbage. You are always welcome to explain why those songs don't match well with an NBA video game soundtrack OR recommend others. But calling music garbage is purely an opinion.

OP, I agree with you. Good soundtrack but doesn't correlate well with NBA's demographic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2015, 03:52 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevertheles109
Your opinion my man. I am well versed when it comes to hip-hop and I see you have an old school mentality. Listen, rap evolved and not ALL of it is garbage. You are always welcome to explain why those songs don't match well with an NBA video game soundtrack OR recommend others. But calling music garbage is purely an opinion.

OP, I agree with you. Good soundtrack but doesn't correlate well with NBA's demographic.
I don't want this in 2k
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/chanc...nparanoia.html
Old 01-21-2015, 04:18 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthemajin
That's not even the song I mentioned
Old 01-21-2015, 04:26 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
2k15's sound track is terrible. Minus a couple songs, its genuinely annoying.

What I dont understand is why the sound track doesn't initially have 25 songs, but consist of like 75 songs in total with like 8 new songs added each month.

Keeps presentation fresh, and a larger library gives more options for customization.
License reasons is why

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »