Home

Mariota vs Winston

This is a discussion on Mariota vs Winston within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare
Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 08:36 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Mariota vs Winston

They’re two of the most compelling, fun and ultimately best quarterbacks college football has ever seen. Both Marcus Mariota and Jameis Winston are fascinating as NFL draft character studies. Controversial vs charismatic, pro-style vs spread, risk vs risk. They each come with terrific upside and Pro Bowl calibre abilities and yet each comes with obvious risks. Given the value of the position they’re likely, and rightly, the first and second selections in the 2015 NFL draft. Let’s deep dive into both players and analyse the great Mariota vs Winston debate looking at all aspects; their football abilities, quarterback traits and intangibles.

Last edited by Mo; 01-15-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2015, 12:01 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Mariota vs Winston

I'd take C Jones in late round 2 personally. Really strong arm(huge in NFL), could take hits well with his nice size and strength. He is very young, and built strong, lots of mileage left on this player. If a team is willing to take the time to grow with some losing seasons, this dude has some serious potential. He has a humble personality and likes to let others around him shine. He also won at the highest college level, which says he doesn't crumble under pressure and has been known as a winner. Also little risk as a late round 2 qb pickup.

He can learn to read the NFL defenses from experience. He has all one could ask from ability side. Just my opinion.

Last edited by BigDaddyHolmes; 01-15-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:30 PM   #3
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyHolmes

He can learn to read the NFL defenses from experience. He has all one could ask from ability side. Just my opinion.
Even as a 2nd rounder that'd be a HUUUUUUGE mistake. This is just one of the most foolish notions i've seen on here. The guy has a grand total of THREE starts under his belt and you want him to learn NFL defenses from experience? The guy will get KILLED!

He needs another year in college as the full time starter before you can make any kind of solid judgment on him.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 01-15-2015, 12:47 PM   #4
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

I'm not sure I'd take either Mariota or Winston if I was an NFL GM. At least not first overall. I'm not sure I'd want to hitch my wagon to either of them. I guess if I was held at gunpoint and had to pick one. I'd go with Mariota, and that's only because of the bigtime character issues with Winston.

I think Winston is the better pure passer of the two. Mariota seems to be more of a system guy. However, as I said, Winston's character issues would really put me off on taking him that early. Mariota... I'm just not confident enough if he could translate out of his system into a traditional NFL offense.

As for the suggestion of Cardale Jones. I think it was mentioned second round here. No way. No chance I'd do that. If you're taking him in the second round, you'd want him to be a starter. First, and second round players you typically expect to make an impact right away. Jones isn't that. He's started only 3 or 4 games at the college level, personally I think his stock is way up because of his coaches ability to gameplan around him, and the talent around him rather than his own ability. I mean, he's a 3rd stringer at OSU for a reason. No matter which QB played there this year, they played well. That, to me, doesn't say alot about the QB, but more about the system/gameplan, and the talent in the system/gameplan put together by one of the top head coaches in football. He might have size, and a big arm, but that's only going to get you so far. Jamarcus Russel had size and a big arm too. Just sayin. For Jones... he's lucky to be a 6th round, 7th round, or UDFA and a developmental guy. From what I've read and head, he's got some reasons for coming out this year. One, being his perceived high stock right now, two, his lack of playing time next year likely at OSU, and apparently he's not a guy big on education, and he's got a youngster at home and I think, he thinks the smart thing for him, while people recognize him, and while he's in the spotlight, get in the NFL, get yourself on a roster, even if it's only for a year, make some good cash and see what kind of career you can make for yourself. Which is actually very smart of him, given his position on the depth chart at OSU. However, to suggest he should be taken in the 2nd round, and start, and have a team be patient through that... that's just foolish IMO. There's not enough experience, and film on the guy to take a chance on him like that with a 2nd rounder.

Mariota and Winston though... to get back on topic, I just don't have a strong conviction about either of them. If Winston didn't have the maturity issues... I'd be saying 100% him over Mariota. I think he has the better mechanics, and ability to work with. Hopefully, once he gets drafted, he's smart, gets into the facility, gets his head in the playbook and works his tail off. He's got the ability to be really good, he's just got to grow up, fast. Learn a lesson from the messes Manzeil has gotten himself into.

I don't see either one being great, but the potential is there. Bottom line to me, whoever gets them shouldn't expect the next Russel Wilson, Tom Brady, Andrew Luck, etc. etc. Expect some growing pains, and average play.

Should be interesting to see how it all unfolds though! No doubt about that!
Old 01-15-2015, 01:06 PM   #5
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon27
I'm not sure I'd take either Mariota or Winston if I was an NFL GM!
Agreed. If I had a high draft pick, I would trade it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2015, 01:16 PM   #6
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

If i'm an NFL GM I like Winston more but honestly, both guys have serious knocks against them. I wouldn't be surprised if one or both of them take a tumble on the draft board especially if they have a bad combine/interview process.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 01-15-2015, 03:51 PM   #7
MVP

Blitz1942's Arena

OVR: 20

Both have incredibly high ceilings, but both also have a very high chance of being busts. Both are question marks, and if there's one spot you do not want to have a question mark at, it's quarterback. Winston's more ready to be put on the field, but Mariota brings a lot less off-field baggage. In any case, I'm not sure if I like either if I'm a top 5-10 team that needs a QB. It won't matter because they'll likely both go in the top 5 easily, but I wouldn't take them myself until later.

Now, as for Cardale Jones (since he was brought up as well). Personally, if he had declared, I wouldn't take him higher than the 5th round. There's just too little tape of him to take him higher. However, I do think he should've declared for the draft this year. Just due to pure athletic ability, he'd have been drafted easily. And due to his inexperience, he'd likely not have been asked to hop in and start immediately, allowing him to sit, learn, and develop in a pro setting, which could've been huge to him.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:28 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 23

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...nfl-draft.html

^^ Most of which is Mariota vs Winston.

Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »